The Better Breed Of Fans......

MiG16

considering the majority of members of this part of the forum...I could be soon become persona non grata in here with what Im about to say........but :o

I enjoy watching football, and if I can get a chance of affordable international live games Id try to go watch it. not had many chance ofcourse. the limited experience Ive had of either watching them at stadium or even just on TV in pubs or outdoor festivals........this is what I now feel.....

the English fans are somewhat disappointing in the enthusiasm area. or perhaps I was expecting more than the little show of subdued support?

whereas when I saw the German fans watch their team they get so passionate! the Germans.....Ive never enjoyed watching German teams....theres something missing in the style ...prefer the Dutch, the italians, the spanish even the Czechs and English.......but I have to give the thumbs up to the football fans......this has been when watching WorldCup 2006 games ...German vs whoever.....lots more crowd happily cheering on. England vs whoever...just some guys standing around at pub very reserved...and watching whats going on...no cheering...or was I just in the wrong bar?

but again even while in London....arsenal vs Inter Milan...albeit a friendly....but to me still a big game....not all that much crazy cheering. on the other hand.....TSV Munchen vs Klaiserslautern (sp!!) .....not a big game....but all the fans were so into it!!

so...the english fans?gonna prove me wrong? or just shoot me down :D

I wont comment about Italian (or other) fans......too limited experience with that crowd......although the Dutch were pretty amazing when watching their national team too :D but Im biased when it comes to the Dutch :D

Edited by MiG16

In Germany a ticket for the football costs about a quarter of the price as it does in England. So for the equivalent price of one ticket to an English football match, a German supporter can pay for their own ticket, have a couple of Bratwursts, drink about 4 bottles of pilsener, buy a matchday program and still have a few Euros left to go and watch their favourite oompah-band after the match.

No wonder they're happier. :D:o

Edited by Spit the Dog

Roy Keane esummed it up best a few years ago. The prawn sanwich brigade and all the corporate BS, along with all seated stadia has taken away the atmosphere in a lot of the grounds. A lot of the real football fans just can't aford to go along regualryl anymore. Last match I went to the year before last 25 quid for a ticket to watch bloody Plymoputh Argyle v Stoke, 0-0, bloody awful game, and it's true value was probable a couple of quid. As Spit has said football in Germany is far cheaper to go and watch, and even in Italt and Spain it is still considerably cheaper than in the UK. Even the lower laeagu teams charge an arm and a leg these days.

As far as watching England play, it's hardly suprising that people aren't ver passionate when you consider the dross we have had to endure under Greenwood, Robson, Taylor, Venables, Hoddle, Wilkinson, Keegan, Sven and McClow. Apart froma couple of peaks, i.e. Italia 90 and Euro 96 there's been little to get excited about.

The crowds in Germany are consistantly larger than our lot in the UK , obviously the price is a massive factor but how many pro football teams are in Germany compared to England...not to mention semi pro/non league. I'd wager less than the English game.

As for the Italians, apart from the top 3 - 4 teams the average crowd is less than the championship in the uk.

Same goes for the Spanish.

For the question posed by Mig...I don't think the average German is any more passionate about the game than your average English chap

To get the real passion now days you've got to be at the stadium or in a packed bar.

Us english fans do like a moan but i've been to ( England v Argentina 1998 , England v Spain 1996 , England v Italy 1997 , England v Finland 2001 ) and watched countless games in a packed pub and the atmosphere has always been electric.

You will find that if you go and watch a game in a bar in LOS then the atmos is no where near what it would be back home.

With exception of tonight ( soi 8 ) of course :o:D .

ok point abbout the ticket price aside...even when I watch games in pubs in bangkok...last year for instance...germany opening game at the world cup.....hugeeeeeeeee crowd of germans drinking merrily and cheering their team on

vs

england and some other team on my birthday..... some few english blokes standing quietly with a pint, quietly monitoring the screen :o

where are the infamous footie hooligans :D

no but really.....was a lame performance by the english fans.......since then Ive kinda converted a tiny bit....but the german game still doesnt do anything for me :D

and hey redrus agrees with me?? :D :D

With exception of tonight ( soi 8 ) of course :D:D .

we shall see. :o

lets see if you boys can restore some hooligan-ism name back to the english fans....

once that start to happen Ill just disown you and step quietly away and observe on the side :D

ohhh perhaps I should bring my camera...I just got a new one...it needs testing HEHE <<evil grin>>

Mig, would you like us to sign a few of these classy ditties from the hoolie days.

"Come and have go if you think you're hard enough"

and

"You're going home in a Fckuing ambulance" :o

Don't think those songs would be to popular in a pub in Bangkok.