Don Muang To Reopen

lesdunbar

I wonder what manner of transportation back and forth between the airports they will come up with - taxis? Seems that transport is one of the big problems at the new airport. They don't even have shuttle service between the concourses within. Friend of mine just came back and said she had to walk from International to Domestic and it was very long. Now a trip from the new back to Don Mueang for a domestic connection. Hope they take these matters into account before making the move.

I wonder what manner of transportation back and forth between the airports they will come up with - taxis? Seems that transport is one of the big problems at the new airport. They don't even have shuttle service between the concourses within. Friend of mine just came back and said she had to walk from International to Domestic and it was very long. Now a trip from the new back to Don Mueang for a domestic connection. Hope they take these matters into account before making the move.

The first phase of the red line sky train that's going to link Don Muang with Suvanabhumi is under construction. The 2nd phase hase been improved by the cabinet and is expected to open for constrcution bidding later this year. In the meantime, people will have to use the toll way and the expressway to commute between the two airports. The BMA also proposed a BRT line for the airport link too...but nothing has materialized since last year.

there are 2 public buses (35 baht) from Don Muang to the new airport (the great majority of the new airport still live around the old airport).

I would imagine thai airways domestic will still fly from the new airport and some of the budget airlines from don muang.

This is certainly NOT good news for those of us that have to regularly get from Chiang Mai to Europe or The States....unless you are prepared to pay the inflated prices that Thai Airways charge!

Stll it will probably work out cheaper than taking a Tuk Tuk from Don Muang to the new airport

unforgettable....amazing....or whatever Thailand is.....This airport matter is the most absurd move ever.....Years of preparation and billions spent for a First Class International airport, designed to become the reference in Asia.....and after 3 month, have to U Turn, and re-open the old Don Muang coz this marvel is saturated....so, honestly, if this is not a failure, what is it ? A SHAME !!! I'd like to see how they gonna sell us their story, all those great politicians. Think that the clever move should have been made 6 month ago, and say: 'Look guys, we are not going to be ready before another 2 years, but it will be top" and just postpone...Loss of face would have been minor, compared to what it's gonna be now.

unforgettable....amazing....or whatever Thailand is.....This airport matter is the most absurd move ever.....Years of preparation and billions spent for a First Class International airport, designed to become the reference in Asia.....and after 3 month, have to U Turn, and re-open the old Don Muang coz this marvel is saturated....so, honestly, if this is not a failure, what is it ? A SHAME !!! I'd like to see how they gonna sell us their story, all those great politicians. Think that the clever move should have been made 6 month ago, and say: 'Look guys, we are not going to be ready before another 2 years, but it will be top" and just postpone...Loss of face would have been minor, compared to what it's gonna be now.

Agreed, and there's a fairly good argument that it was a combination of Thaksin's hubris and his underlings' incompetence that is to blame for the matter. Come to think of it, the project has been mired in scandal from 30 years ago.

But blame and shame does no good in the matter. If VTBD has to reopen to help matters (and if it's carefully thought out this time), then it's time to move forward.

I for one can foresee no huge problems, as long as (as the press are saying this morning) connecting flights to major domestic destinations are kept at VTBS.

The lead story in the paper's online edition:

AoT backs rebirth of Don Muang

Old airport to service some domestic routes

The board of Airports of Thailand Plc yesterday approved the use of Don Muang for domestic flights with no international connections and set March 15 as the possible date for the relaunch of services at the old airport.

In an attempt to save costs from expanding Suvarnabhumi airport and to fully use its existing infrastructure, the board led by chairman Gen Saprang Kalayanamitr decided to move to Don Muang domestic flights with no connections to international routes operated by Thai Airways International (THAI) and no-frills carriers. Domestic flights with passengers connecting with international routes will remain at Suvarnabhumi.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/12Jan2007_news01.php

Fantastic news for those of us into general aviation! Closing down Don Muang would have limited the use of private planes in the Bangkok metropolitan area. Great news for all of us who live in Thailand and like to take short in-country hops.

Why is everyone so excited to re-open Don Muang? It's a horrible place, tired and depressing... I reckon we're better off without it. It's got all the charm of a public toilet block and is about as welcoming.

1) Who cares? Its a frickin airport!

2) Why shouldn't Bangkok have 2 airports running. New York has 3. London, etc.. Its a good move, imo. One that should have been thought about before everyone moved...., but that shortsightedness is square on ol' squareface, for rushing the opening.

:o:D:D
Does this country actually plan anything ahead? :D

:D

Yes, after long and very serious meeting :bah:

actually, AFAIK it was the plan to use Don Muang, and Mr Square Head was the one who wanted to force the whole lot to the new airport, and also forced the place to open early; he had the leverage against AOT to do so, and also put an insider (K. CHotisak is one of his sort of supporters) to ensure this would happen; however in his defense K Chotisak has managed to get the airport open (in a manner of speaking) on the deadline he was given, and has been playing to reach a bid of 3NT with about 10 points and a few doubletons.

Actually, Suvarnabhumi was designed to be just an international airport, with the expectation that Don Muang would remain open as the domestic airport. It was only very late in the construction process where the decision was made to make Suvarnabhumi both international and domestic.

I wonder what's going to happen to all those who have already purchased tickets on Air Asia or other LCCs with short connection times to their international flights. They likely won't be able to get a refund on their tickets and unless they can change to another flight, they'll have just thrown away their money unless the airlines make an exception and allow them to get a refund.

Really bad move IMHO to force THAI to use Don Muang. All of their flights are potential connections to international flights and forcing them to move to Don Muang will be a major inconvenience for some of us, to the point that they will lose a significant amount of business. The convenience of being able to transit between international and domestic, have your bags checked through, and pass through immigration/customs at your destination rather than BKK was probably the major advantage for many in choosing THAI to begin with. With that advantage gone, any airline will do.

The board of Airports of Thailand Plc yesterday approved the use of Don Muang for domestic flights with no international connections and set March 15 as the possible date for the relaunch of services at the old airport.

In an attempt to save costs from expanding Suvarnabhumi airport and to fully use its existing infrastructure, the board led by chairman Gen Saprang Kalayanamitr decided to move to Don Muang domestic flights with no connections to international routes operated by Thai Airways International (THAI) and no-frills carriers. Domestic flights with passengers connecting with international routes will remain at Suvarnabhumi.

Continued here:

Taken from the article quoted by S.J.

( Part quote )

Airlines with domestic services _THAI, Nok Air, Thai AirAsia and One-Two-Go _ supported yesterday's decision.

Bangkok Airways could not be reached for comment.

THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni said the national flag carrier needed one month to move some equipment and hire more staff to be stationed at Don Muang but he said it was not a serious problem for the airline.

Mr Apinan said flights serving popular destinations among international passengers such as Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Hat Yai could remain at Suvarnabhumi.

Unquote.

I hope to #### they include Udonthani in this list as it,s going to be a right pain for anyone who has to go from D.M to the new airport and V. versa.

It is not good news at all for those unlucky enough to fit into this category.

Let,s cut the verbal diarrhoea out.

I always fly Thai domestic as you are at least getting your flight as advertised, time wise ect. and it is very important if you are connecting to an international ongoing flight.

This is Shit, to be reduced to this chaos and we all know who is responsible for opening the new airport when it should have been obvious to everyone it wasn,t up to it.

All you Thaksin supporters can put this down to his legacy as CEO and the vested interests/ corruption that have been taken into account at the expense of everyone who has to use the ####### airport.

It,s a disgrace and you can read travel articles at random on the state of the place, should you doubt me.

NO EXCUSES OR SIMILAR SCENARIOS TO TRY AND JUSTIFY IT,S PREMATURE OPENING ........PLEASEEEEEE

It is not acceptable in any shape or form and is a terrible advert for " AMAZING THAILAND " at the very point of entry.

" Thailand Unforgettable " is very appropriate for air travellers.

Just wait for the swamp to do it,s natural stuff for really mega problems.

If you, again don,t believe this, remember the state of the roads where they haven,t bothered to lay solid foundations before digging deep enough to prevent these situations, again all in the name of corruption and vested interests / tea money ????????

Roads around these parts are re surfaced ( there,s a joke for you ) Thai style on a far to regular basis.

Safety, there,s another joke for you.

marshbags :D:o and :D ( a concerned and frequent traveller )

Edited by marshbags

All you Thaksin supporters can put this down to his legacy as CEO and the vested interests/ corruption that have been taken into account at the expense of everyone who has to use the ####### airport.

It,s a disgrace and you can read travel articles at random on the state of the place, should you doubt me.

Not a truer word has been said.

What the airport could have been and what it is are worlds apart.

Modern Day rape and pillage by Thaksin and his mob :o

More confusion for travellers.........

Poeple visiting London just love the bus trip from Heathrow to Gatwick. :D

Last time I arrived at Gatwick for a Heathrow connection I simply jumped on the Helicopter shuttle connection between the 2 airports....great idea...about 10 minutes....but then someone complained.... :o

Continued here:

Taken from the article quoted by S.J.

( Part quote )

Airlines with domestic services _THAI, Nok Air, Thai AirAsia and One-Two-Go _ supported yesterday's decision.

Bangkok Airways could not be reached for comment.

THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni said the national flag carrier needed one month to move some equipment and hire more staff to be stationed at Don Muang but he said it was not a serious problem for the airline.

Mr Apinan said flights serving popular destinations among international passengers such as Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Hat Yai could remain at Suvarnabhumi.

Unquote.

I hope to #### they include Udonthani in this list as it,s going to be a right pain for anyone who has to go from D.M to the new airport and V. versa.

It is not good news at all for those unlucky enough to fit into this category.

Let,s cut the verbal diarrhoea out.

I always fly Thai domestic as you are at least getting your flight as advertised, time wise ect. and it is very important if you are connecting to an international ongoing flight.

This is Shit, to be reduced to this chaos and we all know who is responsible for opening the new airport when it should have been obvious to everyone it wasn,t up to it.

NO EXCUSES OR SIMILAR SCENARIOS TO TRY AND JUSTIFY IT,S PREMATURE OPENING ........PLEASEEEEEE

It is not acceptable in any shape or form and is a terrible advert for " AMAZING THAILAND " at the very point of entry.

" Thailand Unforgettable " is very appropriate for air travellers.

Just wait for the swamp to do it,s natural stuff for really mega problems.

If you, again don,t believe this, remember the state of the roads where they haven,t bothered to lay solid foundations before digging deep enough to prevent these situations, again all in the name of corruption and vested interests / tea money ????????

Roads around these parts are re surfaced ( there,s a joke for you ) Thai style on a far to regular basis.

Safety, there,s another joke for you.

marshbags :D:o and :D ( a concerned and frequent traveller )

God forbid anyone actually does business anywhere other than Bangna in this country and needs to fly somewhere. Oh, I forgot, nobody in Thailand needs foreign investment. I can just imagine all the japanese and german engineers working in Khon Kaen licking their lips at that 3 hour commute across town to Suva"mi

Fantastic news for those of us into general aviation! Closing down Don Muang would have limited the use of private planes in the Bangkok metropolitan area. Great news for all of us who live in Thailand and like to take short in-country hops.

An airport is a bit like a natural resource since once it is gone, it is usually gone forever. Politicians do not like to let closed airports remain idle as they view the land as a potential a big tax revenue producer so old airports are usually quickly paved over with shopping centers and housing developments . Unfortunately in the future if an additional commercial airport becomes necessary, all the land big enough for an airport with fairly quick access to the city is gone. I think the 'powers that be' made a good decision on this one by deciding on keeping Don Muang open to commercial and general aviation. General aviation also benefits from this since small GA airports are quickly disappearing in most countries due to the potential development value of the land .

there are 2 public buses (35 baht) from Don Muang to the new airport (the great majority of the new airport still live around the old airport).

I would imagine thai airways domestic will still fly from the new airport and some of the budget airlines from don muang.

I sure hope you are right, I would hate after a 10 hour flight on Thai from Copenhagen to have the problems of changing airport, after clearing immigration and customs, and then on to Don Muang and check in for the sector to Phuket also on Thai.