12 month data SIMs - Looking for recommendations

I’m an IT novice, please be gentle with me!

For the last couple a years I’ve purchased a TrueMove 12 month data SIM. Many variation available , mine was 100Gb/ month rated at 6Mps which I considered a reasonable deal at about 1,400 bht for 12 months service.

in practice download speed has been variable and often well below the stated 6Mps.

I’m due for a renewal and have heard the AIS and maybe Detac have more reliable speeds.

Does anyone have first hand experience of a well performing SIM?

Many TIA

What do you find on it Chillypom, that you can not  just down or Stream -- For nothing ??

Have you looked at the movie / TV thread on here.?............:coffee1:

• Confused 6

37 minutes ago, Chillypom said:

100Gb/ month rated at 6Mps which I considered a reasonable deal at about 1,400 bht for 12 months service.

please be gentle with me!

I buy this for the girlfriend, she's always complaining about slow, always asking me to hotspot her. 

Don't expect any preferential treatment, these guys can be cruel 😂

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, treetops said:

Is this in a mobile phone or using a SIM router?

It is only for network, can use it in a phone or sim router, no mobile tel calls but you need to check if there is nt/tot mobile network in your area and areas you will visit.

Other 12 month sim card prices have increased dramatically from 1 year ago.

Edited by freeworld

2 minutes ago, freeworld said:

It is only for network, can use it in a phone or sim router, no mobile tel calls but you need to check if there is nt/tot mobile network in your area and areas you will visit.

Other 12 month sim card prices have increased dramatically from 1 year ago.

Yes, I was asking the OP to ascertain where he was seeing the speed issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have True Move pre-paid in my main mobile and AIS pre-paid in my back-up mobile. I have the add-on unlimited data packs on both. Cost 1,800 baht per annum for each. Speed rating 1Mbps for both. I find both most satisfactory. Just done a random speed test on True and got; 25.0 Download Mbps, 1.94 Upload Mbps. AIS is usually similar. Sometimes download speeds exceed 50 Mbps. Much more than satisfactory when I'm out and about.

• Thumbs Up 1

I bought a TurboX 100 from Lazada last month for 1067 baht. 60GB a month at 100Mbps. Has some free call minutes and messages thrown in as well if you need that.

I just bought a DTAC phone & limited data sim for my router.  How can I tell how much I am using so that I don't run bout of data every month?

2 hours ago, OneZero said:

I just bought a DTAC phone & limited data sim for my router.  How can I tell how much I am using so that I don't run bout of data every month?

Answered my own question: 

"

How many GB is a 1 hour stream?

Standard definition uses up to 0.3 GB per hour. High definition (720p) uses up to 1 GB per hour. Full HD (1080p) uses up to 3 GB per hour. UHD (4K) uses up to 7 GB per ho

Anyone used an Esim 1 year  package.

Had plenty of Ais/dtac sim cards but wanting to use a Esim on an iPhone seeing as it's not dual sim like my samsung is

On 4/30/2024 at 3:43 PM, The Fugitive said:

I have True Move pre-paid in my main mobile and AIS pre-paid in my back-up mobile. I have the add-on unlimited data packs on both. Cost 1,800 baht per annum for each. Speed rating 1Mbps for both. I find both most satisfactory. Just done a random speed test on True and got; 25.0 Download Mbps, 1.94 Upload Mbps. AIS is usually similar. Sometimes download speeds exceed 50 Mbps. Much more than satisfactory when I'm out and about.

Same as me I use AIS on my mobile speed is good, but my mobile is fairly new, so speed is good.

But if you look at the AIS website, like I did, I could not find my 1800-baht one year package, it should be *777*7329#

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneZero said:

Go into your router settings and it should show you. On some models it's possible to set limits and adjust the measurment period to tie in with the billing period etc.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:46 AM, Chillypom said:

in practice download speed has been variable and often well below the stated 6Mps.

Many of these 12 month SIMS have a lot of fine print attached, most often making clear that the advertised speed is neither unlimited nor always available.  Usually the advertised amount is for only a limited amount of data a month after which it can slow dramatically.  The wording makes it look unlimited but the devil's in the details.

52 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Anyone used an Esim 1 year  package.

Had plenty of Ais/dtac sim cards but wanting to use a Esim on an iPhone seeing as it's not dual sim like my samsung is

Take your phone to your provider and ask if they can set up ESIM.

Or you can try yourself by clicking Settings then Mobile Service and follow the instructions.

I had a 1 year data sim from True which I tried to convert to Esim via the iService app but it failed ( due to the passport photo i think although it wasn’t clear why it failed). Went to True shop and they did it quickly although it took 24 hours before it became available and I could remove my physical sim.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Take your phone to your provider and ask if they can set up ESIM.

Or you can try yourself by clicking Settings then Mobile Service and follow the instructions.

I had a 1 year data sim from True which I tried to convert to Esim via the iService app but it failed ( due to the passport photo i think although it wasn’t clear why it failed). Went to True shop and they did it quickly although it took 24 hours before it became available and I could remove my physical sim.

Hi thanks just after a cheap esim to add to be honest like the 1 year data sims
I thought you could add a Esim for phones that already have a sim they want to keep so that you can yse just the data like a dual sim phone

3 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Hi thanks just after a cheap esim to add to be honest like the 1 year data sims
I thought you could add a Esim for phones that already have a sim they want to keep so that you can yse just the data like a dual sim phone

You can buy an eSIM but i think the cheapest way will be to buy a cheap 1 year data sim from Lazada and ask the provider to convert it to an eSIM to fit to your iPhone.

I use a iPhone 13 Max Pro with 1 physical SIM card slot but also eSIM compatible, tired of swapping SIM cards when travelling i converted my True SIM to eSIM and have my U.K. SIM card permanently installed.

I can now switch between the two in settings at will or leave both switched on.

I believe you can have numerous eSIM’s in an iPhone now.

• Thanks 1

If you look on Lazada and Shopee you'll see the year sim deals are no way near as good as they were last year with limited data, for that reason I've had 3BB fibre installed. If you are ok with 100gb of data or less then buy online

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, alanrchase said:

I bought a TurboX 100 from Lazada last month for 1067 baht. 60GB a month at 100Mbps. Has some free call minutes and messages thrown in as well if you need that.

link please for that price, the cheapest i can see is 1690 for 12 months

On 4/30/2024 at 10:46 AM, Chillypom said:

I’m an IT novice, please be gentle with me!

For the last couple a years I’ve purchased a TrueMove 12 month data SIM. Many variation available , mine was 100Gb/ month rated at 6Mps which I considered a reasonable deal at about 1,400 bht for 12 months service.

I’m due for a renewal and have heard the AIS and maybe Detac have more reliable speeds.

Does anyone have first hand experience of a well performing SIM?

Many TIA

A few members received SMS offers to extend their expiring 12 month sim.

To accept you need only to top-up your sim account.

On 5/4/2024 at 1:27 PM, alanrchase said:

I must have a lot to either better understand or know better where to buy.  From a small shop in Lotus (not DTAC) I just bought a 12-month DTAC sim for 2,500+ Baht (ie, 2.5 times what you paid).

I use it in a router (which I carry with me to use with my 4 pc's in 4 different Thai cities). It does have a larger monthly limit, I believe 100GB/mo. 

I can also call with it if I put the sim in my mobile, but I don't need or bother with that feature since I have a postpaid ais mobile sim (approx 270Baht/mo & I seldom use mobile now).

• Confused 1

On 5/5/2024 at 6:41 AM, steve187 said:

link please for that price, the cheapest i can see is 1690 for 12 months

As I said, I bought it a month ago. Promotions come and go on Lazada.

20240506_101549.jpg

On 4/30/2024 at 11:18 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I buy this for the girlfriend,

Is your girlfriend Thai?

Did she read about GOMO (AIS network)? (registration only with Thai ID card).

https://gomo.th/

150 GB (unlimited speed, 3G, 4G, 5G) for 999 incl tax. usable for one year.

If used up additional volume can be bought.

I have purchased through the daughter.

As I use mobile data only when "on the road" the 150 GB will likely be enough for the year.