Help With Visit Visa For Tgf

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice on applying for a visit visa for my Thai gf. I have done a fair amount of research and know the general procedures, however, I think we're going to have a real problem with the reason to return.

To explain, I met my gf in June of last year. She is 20, I'm 31. Since then, I have been back to see her 3 times, will be 4 in April. I've been to her home, met her family etc etc. We have photos of us together with her family and at other places we have visited. We talk everyday on the phone and I have the bills (however, I use a cheap rate number which shows a UK number)

Although I don't have a lot of money in the bank (due mainly to trips to Thailand to see her) I do have about 8k in savings and I earn 50k per year. No mortgage as I'm currently renting.

The problem is that she lives at home with her family and doesn't have a job and therefore I support her.

Her family do own a house and a farm, which she works on sometimes.

As far as I can see, I'm not sure how we can prove that she has a reason to return, I could possibly get the house put in her name if you think it would help.

Also, should she request a 6 month stay or a shorter period, e.g. 4-6 weeks.

Any advice/thoughts/experiences would be gratefully accepted

Thanks

Lee

Hi lee,

I cant be too much help i'm afraid but, the cheap rate phone numbers on your phone bill won't be a problem, just explain it in your sponsorship letter that this is what the numbers are and they should accept it, they will have seen these numbers many times before.

As for the length of visit you ask, from what many people on here say, it's best to put down a shorter period of time, like you said 4-6 weeks and stick to it if you get the visa.

I'll let the experts answer your other questions, this is just in my experience.

Good luck

Mark

Hello, Lee. You don't say, but I am assuming you are asking about a UK visa.

Many people have been successful in obtaining 6 month visit visas for their Thai partner even though the partner has had no concrete reason to return.

This is because of the strength of the relationship.

If the ECO is satisfied that, on the balance of probabilities, the relationship is genuine then s/he will also be satisfied that the reason for the visit is genuine and that the applicant will return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, when or before the visa expires. This is simply because if the ECO believes the relationship to be genuine then the ECO will also believe that the applicant would not want to jeopardise any future settlement plans by overstaying or otherwise breaking the conditions of a visit visa.

So, you need to write a sponsor's letter, outlining a brief history of your relationship, the reason for visiting at this time and your plans for the future. Include with this as much evidence of contact between you, phone, e-mail, face to face etc., as possible.

I could possibly get the house put in her name if you think it would help.
It wont. Seeing land suddenly transferred to her just before a visa application will only make the ECO suspicious. Ditto for unexplained large sums suddenly appearing in her bank!

Although you should show that you are sending her money for her support.

should she request a 6 month stay or a shorter period, e.g. 4-6 weeks.
Applicants who are using a job as a reason to return do have trouble convincing the ECO that their employer is happy to give them 6 months off. However, your girlfriend isn't working. Given her circumstances and the (assumed) reason for the visit I see no reason why she should not say she intends to stay for 6 months.

You may find the following links helpful:-

Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

Chapter 9 – The maintenance and accommodation requirements

Chapter 10 - Visit entry requirements

Social visit checklist

And for how to apply:-

Visa Services.

Edited by GU22

Hello, Lee. You don't say, but I am assuming you are asking about a UK visa.

Many people have been successful in obtaining 6 month visit visas for their Thai partner even though the partner has had no concrete reason to return.

This is because of the strength of the relationship.

If the ECO is satisfied that, on the balance of probabilities, the relationship is genuine then s/he will also be satisfied that the reason for the visit is genuine and that the applicant will return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, when or before the visa expires. This is simply because if the ECO believes the relationship to be genuine then the ECO will also believe that the applicant would not want to jeopardise any future settlement plans by overstaying or otherwise breaking the conditions of a visit visa.

So, you need to write a sponsor's letter, outlining a brief history of your relationship, the reason for visiting at this time and your plans for the future. Include with this as much evidence of contact between you, phone, e-mail, face to face etc., as possible.

I could possibly get the house put in her name if you think it would help.
It wont. Seeing land suddenly transferred to her just before a visa application will only make the ECO suspicious. Ditto for unexplained large sums suddenly appearing in her bank!

Although you should show that you are sending her money for her support.

should she request a 6 month stay or a shorter period, e.g. 4-6 weeks.
Applicants who are using a job as a reason to return do have trouble convincing the ECO that their employer is happy to give them 6 months off. However, your girlfriend isn't working. Given her circumstances and the (assumed) reason for the visit I see no reason why she should not say she intends to stay for 6 months.

You may find the following links helpful:-

Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

Chapter 9 – The maintenance and accommodation requirements

Chapter 10 - Visit entry requirements

Social visit checklist

And for how to apply:-

Visa Services.

I'm impressed with your knowledge....Insider information, perhaps?

Thanks very much for the detailed reply GU22. Unfortunately, you've just made everything much more confusing :o

I totally understand where you are coming from, it just contradicts a lot of what I have read on here which essentially comes down to people recommending to ask for 4-6 week stays for the first visit and also girls needing property or jobs etc.

I guess there is no hard and fast rules regarding this which makes it all the more difficult. I would very much welcome other people's advice on my particular situation so that I can get as much information as possible.

I couple of other questions if I may.

When my gf goes to the embassy, will she be interviewed straight away or will she have to submit all her papers and then be given an interview time. If so, will they call/write to her etc. I also understand the fees must be in the form of a bankers draft, is that correct ?

Thanks for everyone's input so far, more advice/experiences gratefully accepted

Lee

She submits the application at the VAC and pays the fee by bankers draft, which can be purchased from the VAC.

The VAC will check that she hasn't missed anything out and give her a receipt. They then send the application to the embassy visa section. There an Entry Clearance Officer will look at the application.

If all the paperwork shows that, on the balance of probabilities, she meets the criteria for the visa then it will be issued without an interview. If the paperwork is very poor or shows that she definitely doesn't meet the criteria then her application will be refused without an interview. However, if there is an element of doubt in the ECOs mind then she will be interviewed. Interviews are allocated on a first come first served basis and the wait depends purely on demand. I believe the current wait for a non settlement interview is about 5 weeks.

To find out what is happening to her application she should use the tracking service. This will tell her if she needs an interview (although she should also be told this by post and/or phone) or if her passport has been returned to the VAC for collection. Due to confidentiality issues, it will not tell her if she has been successful or not; she will need to collect the passport to find that out.

You are correct, everyone's circumstances are different. Based on what you have posted about her circumstances I feel that she has a very good chance of getting a 6 month visa (all visit visas are for a minimum of 6 months anyway). However, you are right in seeking other people's experiences.

Good luck.

Lee with regard to what I said about 4-6 weeks, this is just what advice i was given, obviously ever application is different!

Listen to what GU22 has to say, this advice is sound.

Lucifer,Just very clued up

Mark

Listen to what GU22 has to say, this advice is sound.

Lucifer,Just very clued up

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

Actually it is merely a combination of:

My own experience (although the last application I was involved with was 3 years ago).

Talking to others about their experience.

Reading about other's experiences on forums like this.

Keeping up to date with the various official rules, guidelines etc.

It's Scouse who is the professional and who has also worked as an IO and ECO.

Gents,

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out on this, I'm sure you are aware of how difficult and confusing this is.

Just to clarify on the time applied for, should we ask for the full 6 months, or possibly 3 or 4 months to err on the side of caution ?

Thanks for the advice regarding the VAC process, makes sense now.

A couple of final questions.

1. Should I include details of flights for her to the UK in the application ? Or should I just state in my letter that I will arrange flights after I know the result of the Visa application

2. Do you have any links to examples of Sponsors letters that I could take a look at ?

Thanks again

Lee

hiya mate,i have been arming myself with all the various bits and bobs to bring my g/f of 3 years to the UK .I am no expert on this but i will give you as much info as possible.We are in no rush to do this so we have been taking our time.From what i can gather,the British embassy want to know how long you have been together,(in case you only met her yesterday)and can you support her when shes there.We have been advised by a friend who used to work at the embassy to apply for a 4 week visa then apply for an extension when she gets here.You WILL have to have a lot of evidence that you have been together for a while.I send my g/f money once a week by western union,she keeps the receipts.She telephones me a lot,she keeps the phone cards,you will need proof of where you live,update of rent etc,they will also want to look at bank and credit card statements.Good idea if you have been to another country together.We went to Malaysia 3 times together last year.It will also help you if she can prove she has a job,and importantly,very importantly,if she can prove she owns any land in Thailand then that is a big plus.Thats all i can think of just now,anything else i can do to help then let me know.

good luck

Tommy

I always think for a first visit, whether or not the g/f has a job , it is better to err on the side of caution and ask for less than the 6 months which by any criteria is a long time for what is supposed to be a visit. Generally on here you will see most everyone suggest 4-6 weeks as a more reasonable time frame . Unfortunately the official websites do not try to give much guideance on the length of visit , so this part of the application is vague resulting in the members here being constantly asked this same question.

The official line is "all cases are different " but in my opinion actually most cases are the same . Scenario, unemployed/lowly employed Thai girl meets farang on holiday , falls in love , farang wants her to visit UK . She has little reason to return. Sound familiar? Thats because it applies to almost all the visit visa questions we get asked about. Unfortunately more exact criteria making it clear what is required in this situation are not laid down , so thats the system, until it changes.

To the OP , many people here have described the system as a "lottery" and in the absence of exact criteria it is and will remain. You must follow the tried and trusted advice given to you above, although i would disagree about going for the full 6 months , she can always go back later in the year . However certainly putting together a strong case with all the relevant evidence you can muster is more important than the time period asked for . Either way you go, its crucial to stick to what you originally asked for and leave the UK as stated.

There's no reason why your girlfriend shouldn't apply for a visit visa, and, in view of the length of your relationship, she may well get it. However, the one tricky aspect is that she is, to all intents and purposes, totally dependent upon you for money. It is feasible that the embassy may seek to argue that as the hand which feeds her is in the UK, she has little incentive to return to Thailand. Unfortunately, though, as she has no visible alternative source of income, if she were not mention the funds you remit to her, it is possible that the visa officer might conclude that she still has nothing to return to.

Scouse.

We have been advised by a friend who used to work at the embassy to apply for a 4 week visa then apply for an extension when she gets here.
Which embassy did your friend work at?.... You cannot apply for an extension to a visitors visa once she gets to UK except in very exceptional circumstances (eg health problems). The visa will however be valid for 6 months so she could legally stay until the visa expired but she would be advised not to stretch the period that you requested too much or she may have some explaining to do when she next applies for a visa as she didn't keep to her word.

We have been advised by a friend who used to work at the embassy to apply for a 4 week visa then apply for an extension when she gets here.
Which embassy did your friend work at?.... You cannot apply for an extension to a visitors visa once she gets to UK except in very exceptional circumstances (eg health problems). The visa will however be valid for 6 months....

The embassy in Bangkok went through a spell of limiting visit visa validity to the period requested. Ultimately, this was futile and pointless, as the holder could then make an immediate application to the Home Office upon arrival in the UK, and the remainder of the 6 months would be automatically granted. I think it's this to which Mazimus' chum was referring.

Scouse.