20 Companies Plan To Invest

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/04/18...ss_30032080.php

JAPANESE INTEREST

20 companies plan to invest

Early benefits are expected from Jtepa

At least 20 Japanese companies are planning new and major investments in Thailand, thanks to the recently signed Japan-Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement (Jtepa) and the trade and investment benefits it provides, says a senior Industry Ministry official.

Pramote Witthayasuk, director-general of the ministry's Industrial Promotion Depart-ment, said the companies were expected to spend a combined Bt40 billion to establish businesses in Thailand.

Most of them are automobile and auto-parts manufacturers. Representatives from the companies will visit Thailand next month in search of suitable Thai partners, and the government is planning to "match" them with Thai small- and medium-sized enterprises in Bangkok.

Japanese auto-makers regard Thailand as a country with high production efficiency and high capability in producing replacement parts. They feel comfortable transferring high technology to Thailand's skilled workers, he said.

Thailand's Board of Investment says Japan is the Kingdom's biggest investor, accounting for 43 per cent of its total foreign direct investment. More than 1,300 Japanese firms are operating in Thailand, employing about 50,000 Thai workers.

In the first two months of this year, foreign direct investment in Thailand grew 77 per cent to Bt75.3 billion, compared with Bt42 billion in the same period last year. In both periods, Japanese investors accounted for 60 per cent of total investment.

JAPANESE INTEREST

At least 20 Japanese companies are planning new and major investments in Thailand, thanks to the recently signed Japan-Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement (Jtepa) and the trade and investment benefits it provides, says a senior Industry Ministry official. So much for the long term Detroit of Asia process then

Pramote Witthayasuk, director-general of the ministry's Industrial Promotion Department, said the companies were expected to spend a combined Bt40 billion to establish businesses in Thailand.

Most of them are automobile and auto-parts manufacturers. Representatives from the companies will visit Thailand next month in search of suitable Thai partners, and the government is planning to "match" them with Thai small- and medium-sized enterprises in Bangkok. So a group of happy or soon to be happy Japanese execs will arrive here

Japanese auto-makers regard Thailand as a country with high production efficiency and high capability in producing replacement parts. They feel comfortable transferring high technology to Thailand's skilled workers, he said. But most notably they don't transfer anything. The reality about the whole DoA process is that it has not brought any meaningful technology transfer to Thailand

Thailand's Board of Investment says Japan is the Kingdom's biggest investor, accounting for 43 per cent of its total foreign direct investment. More than 1,300 Japanese firms are operating in Thailand, employing about 50,000 Thai workers.

In the first two months of this year, foreign direct investment in Thailand grew 77 per cent to Bt75.3 billion, compared with Bt42 billion in the same period last year. In both periods, Japanese investors accounted for 60 per cent of total investment.Question by what measure I wonder?

No deals done, none signed, and limited benefits to the country, trebles all round then

Regards

No deals done, none signed, and limited benefits to the country, trebles all round then

Regards

As a Thai, I love to have more bitter and cynical farangs like you in my country. Thailand will surely be better with more of your ilk. :o

Regards

As a Thai, I love to have more bitter and cynical farangs like you in my country. Thailand will surely be better with more of your ilk. :o

Just I know the DoA process and unfortunately it has failed in its goals. The hope being promulgated is that the JTEP will improve the position at least as far as the Japanese are concerned. Based on experience, something with respect you do not have, I think that is unlikely without a fundamental rethink in the approach from both sides. And given the successful projects with which I have been involved which have led to greater Thai employment I can at least say I have contributed.

Regards

Regards

Just I know the DoA process and unfortunately it has failed in its goals. The hope being promulgated is that the JTEP will improve the position at least as far as the Japanese are concerned. Based on experience, something with respect you do not have, I think that is unlikely without a fundamental rethink in the approach from both sides. And given the successful projects with which I have been involved which have led to greater Thai employment I can at least say I have contributed.

Regards

I have no simpathy for Thaigoon (expecially considering the abnormities he wrote about the Shinawatra satellites) but in this case he just posted the link to a respected newspaper stating figures and expectations. To deny such content, you should give more explanations and specify revised figures and their sources.

Because Thaigoon is a little yellow fascist, he is happier that Thais will be slaving away in Japanese owned factories rather than learning real skills, deveoping and expanding their businesses and moving up the ladder from manufacturing to the service sector.

Just looks like the japs think there is dirt cheap labour to be had here still. Hardly a sign of a country on the march to the first world.

I mean, its not as if they are outsourcing their banking services, or setting up call centres and the like is it? Manufacturing is the bottom rung of the ladder Thaigoon.

Its the carrot and stick, with the Japs proposing all this, then pulling up short of actually parting with any money until the Thai Government fall in with what they want!

If Microsoft go ahead in Vietmam, you are toast for another generation at least, and there will be even more low class farangs coming here to enjoy the cheap living! That alone will see off the high class quality tourists.

Go and buy some books before you post again.

Edited by Dupont

Whats funny? seen your willie! :o

Run out of adult dabate again?

Sorry I don't really have time to argue with a bunch of foreign bigots all day (got something else to do.) Besides, the facts are facts. I don't see a point in trying to argue with bigoted spindoctors. You are just a minority foreigner living in Thailand. Whatever your spin is is not gonna make any difference (very little if at all) to my country, my fellow countrymen, my family and me. So I can't really be bothered to argue. Hope you can comprehend this. :D

:D

Edited by ThaiGoon

:o:D

Sorry, just seen my willie!

Playtime over now is it?

Just remember, you're a forigner as well. The Thai empire hasn't extended beyond Patanni, Yala and Narathiwat yet.

You still can't comprehend it. :D Whatever you say and do is pretty much inconsequential to Thailand and Thai people. You are just insignificant. Facts are facts. They are there.

Good night. :D

Edited by ThaiGoon

Whatever you say and do is pretty much inconsequential to Thailand and Thai people. You are just insignificant. Facts are facts. They are there.

And that's your problem. You are going down the slope and no one can help you.

See you (or better what remains of you) after you crash on the bottom.

Honestly, I think Thailand (and I) will be quite all right without any help from farangs who consistently predict and wish for the collapse of Thai economy everyday on an internet forum.

:o

Honestly, I think Thailand (and I) will be quite all right without any help from farangs who consistently predict and wish for the collapse of Thai economy everyday on an internet forum.

:D

There's no need for me to wish for your economy's collapse. Your government is already attending quite well to it :o

But if this can be of any consolation to you, as your government is a "self appointed" one, you are exempted from any regret you might now feel for misusing your voting rights :D

Edited by Temporaneo

There's no need for me to wish for your economy's collapse. Your government is already attending quite well to it :o

But if this can be of any consolation to you, as your governament is a "self appointed" one, you are exempted from any regret you might now feel for misusing your voting rights :D

Funny haha? :D

But if this can be of any consolation to you, as your government is a "self appointed" one, you are exempted from any regret you might now feel for misusing your voting rights :D

Funny haha? :D

Same same the new Constitution that will enpower the CNS to appoint the PM forever and ever....I wonder why bother with elections then :D

Edited by Temporaneo

JAPANESE INTEREST

At least 20 Japanese companies are planning new and major investments in Thailand, thanks to the recently signed Japan-Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement (Jtepa) and the trade and investment benefits it provides, says a senior Industry Ministry official.

Pramote Witthayasuk, director-general of the ministry's Industrial Promotion Depart-ment, said the companies were expected to spend a combined Bt40 billion to establish businesses in Thailand.

Most of them are automobile and auto-parts manufacturers. Representatives from the companies will visit Thailand next month in search of suitable Thai partners, and the government is planning to "match" them with Thai small- and medium-sized enterprises in Bangkok.

Japanese auto-makers regard Thailand as a country with high production efficiency and high capability in producing replacement parts. They feel comfortable transferring high technology to Thailand's skilled workers, he said.

In the first two months of this year, foreign direct investment in Thailand grew 77 per cent to Bt75.3 billion, compared with Bt42 billion in the same period last year. In both periods, Japanese investors accounted for 60 per cent of total investment.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. From the article above, most of the Japanese investors are auto and auto part related manufacturers and the investments are said to be major. The article further states that the Thai government is planning to match the Japanese investing companies with Thai SME's.

How will small and medium sized enterprises come up with the large amounts of money needed for their sizable portions of the capital required for these major investments?

What are the facts?

The fact is somebody wanted to show that Japanese investors were just waiting on military to self-install itself in power.

Only under the junta can they open the floodgates of fresh investment.

Nothing else has happened. 20 out of thousands invitees attended the meeting and enjoyed free drinks afterwards. And some could be heading to Thailand soon for a bit of R&R on the cheap.