Urgently Needed Blood Type A Negative

farang 55

Hello,

One of our friends is in hospital, waiting to have an operation. But they need about 10 units blood type A negative. This is a very rare type.

If anyone can help please contact Max, by PM

Thanks

Edited by sbk
personal details removed per forum rules

Hello,

One of our friends is in hospital, waiting to have an operation. But they need about 10 units blood type A negative. This is a very rare type.

If anyone can help please contact Max, phonenumber 08 50694979.

Thanks

Sorry, got A+, but I am sure Bangkok Samui Hospital will be able to get the blood type from BKK if you can't find any donors on the island. Good luck !

Let us know what Hospital your friend is in, makes it easier to spread the word

Hope all goes well

Bangkok International in Koh Samui .. contact number given already ... Max, phonenumber 08 50694979.

Wrong, he is in Bangkok at Lerdsin (not sure about correct spelling) Hospital. But you can still donate here.

more Informations and Contactadress.....

I recive this EMail bevor. Admin please dont remove the phonenumbers!

Dear xxxxxx,

Our friend, Mr. xxxxxx, met with a bad accident while in Bangkok and is now admitted in a hospital in Bangkok. He has to undergo a major operation this Friday and is in need of eight units of group A Rh -ve blood for the operation. So far Bangkok Hospital Samui has been able to arrange only 2 units. We would like to make a request to those who have group A Rh -ve blood and would like to bleed for xxxxr to please contact me at 0816201646 as soon as possible.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Regards,

Narong Budhraja, MD.

Hospital Director,

Bangkok Hospital: Samui,

57 Moo 3, Thaweerat Phakdee Road,

Bophut, Koh Samui, Suratthani 84320.

Tel: 077 429 500 # 9504 Fax: 077 429 543

Mobile: 081 620 1646

Thanks in advance....

Hope all goes well

Bangkok International in Koh Samui .. contact number given already ... Max, phonenumber 08 50694979.

Wrong, he is in Bangkok at Lerdsin (not sure about correct spelling) Hospital. But you can still donate here.

sorry, my mistake, I just assumed it was here as I am going in to donate at Bangkok samui hospital at 9am tomorrow and I had heard that the person is a Samui expat... and the posting is in the Samui forum ...

Hope all goes well

sorry, my mistake, I just assumed it was here as I am going in to donate at Bangkok samui hospital at 9am tomorrow and I had heard that the person is a Samui expat... and the posting is in the Samui forum ...

No worries, and thanks for helping out.

1. Are other A negatives the only other compatible blood group ?

2. Can people donate from other cities in Thailand ? (If yes, perhaps this should be in the General Forum).

Note to anyone with a negative blood type : it is quite rare to have a negative blood group in Asia, thus hospitals may not have large - or perhaps any -supplies on hand. (If anyone knows of hospitals which do have supplies, pls. list here.)

It's therefore all the more important to donate when emergencies arise, and to be very careful out there :o . (Anyone know how/where regular donations can be made?)

P.S. Shouldn't this thread get some "important post" stars ?

Edited by spectrum

I should have added that negative types ARE relatively more common in "Western" populations. See the figures from Wikipaedia below. (Sorry it's messy - don't know how to copy a table into a post here.)

Table of ABO and Rh distribution by nation

ABO and Rh blood type distribution by nation (averages for each population)

Population O+ A+ B+ AB+ O− A− B− AB−

Australia 40% 31% 8% 2% 9% 7% 2% 1%

Canada 39% 36% 7.6% 2.5% 7% 6% 1.4% 0.5%

Denmark 35% 37% 8% 4% 6% 7% 2% 1%

Finland 27% 38% 15% 7% 4% 6% 2% 1%

France 36% 37% 9% 3% 6% 7% 1% 1%

Hong Kong, China 40% 26% 27% 7% <0.3% <0.3% <0.3% <0.3%

Korea, South 27.4% 34.4% 26.8% 11.2% 0.1% 0.1% 0.1% 0.05%

Poland 31% 32% 15% 7% 6% 6% 2% 1%

Sweden 32% 37% 10% 5% 6% 7% 2% 1%

UK 37%35% 8% 3% 7% 7% 2% 1%

USA 38% 34% 9% 3% 7% 6% 2% 1%

(*0 minus also bolded as I believe they may also donate to A minus people, though I am not a medical practitioner and not familiar with the circumstances of the patient.)

1. Are other A negatives the only other compatible blood group ?

2. Can people donate from other cities in Thailand ? (If yes, perhaps this should be in the General Forum).

Note to anyone with a negative blood type : it is quite rare to have a negative blood group in Asia, thus hospitals may not have large - or perhaps any -supplies on hand. (If anyone knows of hospitals which do have supplies, pls. list here.)

It's therefore all the more important to donate when emergencies arise, and to be very careful out there :o . (Anyone know how/where regular donations can be made?)

P.S. Shouldn't this thread get some "important post" stars ?

While giving a unit of A-ve blood today I talked with the doctor at Bangkok Samui hospital about the situation and he stated that they had offerred (to the red cross) to become a blood donation centre but were turned down because they are a private institution. They can collect blood for their own patients but not for general distribution. They do run collections at times at the hospital and also at Chaba resort in Samui.

I will now make a point of going along every few months and giving some blood ... I might need it myself sometime ...

Koh Samui Hospital (government run) have the blood stores on the island, the other hospitals order it from there. You can leave your contact details with the blood unit in case they need you, and also give blood there when needed.

Koh Samui Hospital (government run) have the blood stores on the island, the other hospitals order it from there. You can leave your contact details with the blood unit in case they need you, and also give blood there when needed.

quick question, how do you find out what your blood group is? As i have no idea what mine is and i might have the right type

quick question, how do you find out what your blood group is? As i have no idea what mine is and i might have the right type

Good news ! Enough blood has been found and is on its way to BKK. Thanks for everyones help.

Good news ! Enough blood has been found and is on its way to BKK. Thanks for everyones help.
Yes, good news :o. Let's hope all goes well for your friend. Do let us know.

A hospital can test your blood and tell you your type. Or you could donate to Red Cross (any other places/organsizations ?? Anyone know where for Chiang Mai ?) and find out that way.

Let's try to keep this thread alive for a bit. There's an obvious deficiency in the system. If a large quantity of A- blood (and possibly other types) is required instantly, whoever needs it will be in dire trouble. Note that A- is NOT extremely rare in non-Asian populations; it's just one of the less common groups.

P.S. It's a good idea to carry a card stating your blood group in your wallet. The place testing you should be able to provide one.

Edited by spectrum

I do donate regularly at the Red Cross in silom area. The first time I did it was following the Tsunami and I've got into the habit every 3-4 months. During the first time, the queues were out of the door and down the road. We got fast tracked to empty our arms because we are farang although we still waited for 3 hours. Some of the Thai people waited up to 8 :o . I think if there was a constant push for blood, the way that there is in England for example, there would not be this panic when some is needed.

A good resolution - albeit 6 months too late would be to become a blood donor. Just be aware that you don't get a cup of tea and biscuit, it's the yucky red cordial and a couple of rice crackers :D

I am also a regular donor at the Red Cross in the Silom area.

They called me today to ask me to come down and donate ASAP as they are short on my blood type which is B-

FYI - they close at 3:30pm today but if anyone wants to call for details their number is 08-5149-9089

It doesn't take long to do and is something we can all do to help out others.

I was told in that my blood pressure was low and couldn't give blood many years ago, can this have changed? Just remembered with this thread.

Any answer will be helpful, thanks.

Yes, it could certainly have changed.

Blood pressure tends to get higher as we age. If you had low BP when younger, it may be normal now.

I was told in that my blood pressure was low and couldn't give blood many years ago, can this have changed? Just remembered with this thread.

Any answer will be helpful, thanks.

Yes, it could certainly have changed.

Blood pressure tends to get higher as we age. If you had low BP when younger, it may be normal now.

Thanks for your answer spectrum, will check with my doc.