Thai Driving In Uk

I have heard that it is possible for a thai to obtain an international driving permit here.

Does anyone know if the document will permit a Thai to legally drive in the UK? If so, from where can the international driving permit be obtained?

Thanks in anticipation.

I have heard that it is possible for a thai to obtain an international driving permit here.

Does anyone know if the document will permit a Thai to legally drive in the UK? If so, from where can the international driving permit be obtained?

Thanks in anticipation.

The Royal Automobile Association in Bkk does them and they are valid almost everywhere.

Thanks in anticipation

Unless the rules have been changed recently Thai's along with most other nationals can drive in the UK with the license obtained from their own country for one year without L plates or a qualified driver with them as long as they are insured for at least third party.

A quick phone call to the DVLA in Swansea or the local cop shop will put your mind at rest.

After that they must take a two part driving test and do what everyone else does.

Pass the test then learn how to drive.

I will be renting a car when I visit Australia this time, and there is much said about the requirements of rental car companies.

Thus I will go to the Department of Transportation, where I got my five year Thai license, and obtain an international drivers license with my Thai and U.S. D/L as backup.

I will be renting a car when I visit Australia this time, and there is much said about the requirements of rental car companies.

Thus I will go to the Department of Transportation, where I got my five year Thai license, and obtain an international drivers license with my Thai and U.S. D/L as backup.

As a tourist, Australian State Police will accept a formally translated copy of your Thai license. Preferably from your Embassy or the Thai MFA.

• 2 weeks later...
Unless the rules have been changed recently Thai's along with most other nationals can drive in the UK with the license obtained from their own country for one year without L plates or a qualified driver with them as long as they are insured for at least third party.

Thanks for the help. BTW, we will only be in UK for up to two weeks.

Since my first post, another question has arisen.

We shall be hiring a car in UK. Will both myself and the FG be allowed by the hire company to drive the car under full insurance cover?

:o