"retirement Visa"

I have been reading through many of the postings regarding this issue and still have a few questions. 51 years old, USA passport.

1. What type of visa do I enter LOS with. Some say tourist visa and convert to O visa in Thailand. Will this allow me to get "retirememt visa" renewed annually of do I need to enter with O-A visa?

2. Does the 800,000 need to be "fresh" every years or can I deposit 800,000 and use ATM for living expense....thus just leaving the 800,000 in the bank for annual renewal?

Thanks

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What type of visa do I enter LOS with. Some say tourist visa and convert to O visa in Thailand. Will this allow me to get "retirememt visa" renewed annually of do I need to enter with O-A visa?

2. Does the 800,000 need to be "fresh" every years or can I deposit 800,000 and use ATM for living expense....thus just leaving the 800,000 in the bank for annual renewal?

Tourist visa, yes. Do not confuse a tourist visa with the 30 day "visa on arrival". Obtain a 60/90 day visa at your nearest Thai embassy. Apply for your retirement visa in the last month that said visa is valid.

Bht 800,000 in the bank within 7 days of applying for your visa, as confirmed by a letter from the bank and copies of your passbook (two copies of each). It is preferable to have the passbook indicating a movement of funds during the year (in/out) otherwise evidence of the other funds that enable you to live here.

Just as has been stated, But it is best to use out of the bank to live and top it up every month or every year as that is supposed to be your living money and shows that you have used the money you have brought in to live and not working under the table. :o

The above advise is correct but will add that the bank latter must be within the week (7 days). The money can be deposited any time prior to application and does not have to be one deposit, but should be provable as from overseas. Also you have the option to use proof of income as confirmed by your Embassy as part of the bank deposit requirement.

If you arrive on a tourist visa you should apply after you have been here 30-40 days as that visa entry is only valid for 60 days.

Two copies are only required if you apply outside of Bangkok (one for local office).

I am going through the retirement 1 yr extension application

process right now.

1/ You cannot get the 1yr ret extension from a Tourist Visa.

Imm at Suan Plu BKK will make you convert to a Non Imm O

first. So get the Non Imm O at the Thai Embassy in your

country to save time, expense and hassle

2/ You will also need a letter from a clinic or hospital that you

are in good health. bumrumgrad charged me 380B for a

10 minute exam.

Just my experience.

I am told tea money can overcome nearly anything.

But I have not resorted to that yet.

Some clarification here please:

Tourist visas and 30 day stamps on arrival are often confused.

When you say you cannot convert a tourist visa to a retirement extension, I assume you really mean a 60 day tourist visa obtained at a Thai consulate or embassy outside of Thailand, and NOT a 30 day stamp, correct?

Assuming that is correct, I wonder what people are saying is their justification to get an O visa (not OA) outside of Thailand when they could apply for the full OA visa instead outside of Thailand). If you say to the consulate, the purpose is because it is easier to get a one year retirement extension in Thailand, would the counsulates go for that, or, if not, what justification can be used to get that first O visa outside Thailand?

• 3 months later...

process right now.

first.  So get the Non Imm O at the Thai Embassy in your

10 minute exam.

Just my experience.

Hi, Paulfr,

Can you confirm that you are able to apply and get a change of visa type from tourist visa (not the 30 day one at arrival but a 60 day one obtained at embassy before arriving in Thailand) to a non Im OA at an immigration office in Thailand ? (obviously by providing them with the necessary 800k, health certificate adn over 50 proof)

After which you would then be able to extend it for a year at a time

Thanks

I was told by the Thai Consulate in Portland Oregon that they could issue me the Retirement Visa based upon meeting all of the requirements, and that I would need to only report my address every 90 days for the first year.. Upon applying for the 1 year extension, I would need to show the sums deposited within Thailand and from outside of the country to obtain the extention... Thus avoiding tying up the 800,000 until the end of the first year...

Any comments???

Pianoman

I was told by the Thai Consulate in Portland Oregon that they could issue me the Retirement Visa based upon meeting all of the requirements, and that I would need to only report my address every 90 days for the first year..  Upon applying for the 1 year extension, I would need to show the sums deposited within Thailand and from outside of the country to obtain the extention...  Thus avoiding tying up the 800,000 until the end of the first year...

Any comments???

Pianoman

Quite true. But you will also need police clearance and US medical, and a notary public.

process right now.

10 minute exam.

Just my experience.

Hi, Paulfr,

Can you confirm that you are able to apply and get a change of visa type from tourist visa (not the 30 day one at arrival but a 60 day one obtained at embassy before arriving in Thailand) to a non Im OA at an immigration office in Thailand ? (obviously by providing them with the necessary 800k, health certificate adn over 50 proof)

After which you would then be able to extend it for a year at a time

Thanks

You should apply for and receive a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to arrival rather than depend on change of a tourist visa if you have the choice. Although they may change a tourist visa it is not something that is encouraged and means more work for everyone. Rather than request tourist visa request non immigrant O visa single entry as you plan to apply for long stay after arrival (check out of Thailand).

Lopburi is correct

You can convert a Tourist Visa to a Non Imm O on the 3rd floor

at Suan Plu. But it is not a guarantee. They need to see a good

reason to do so. I showed up with my TGF, and all necessary

paperwork for a 1yr Retirement Extension completed. They

examined this very carefully and then granted me the conversion.

But that took 120 days as they first gave me a 30d and then a

90d. Last trip was then routine on the 1st floor to get the 1yr

extension. (Note;there is no retirement visa. It is a 1yr extension

to a Non Imm for retirement purposes.)

Get the Non Imm O before you leave by showing the Thai Embassy

you can qualify for the retirement with sufficient funds.

process right now.

That may well be the case at Suan Plu, but they will extend a Tourist Visa for Retirement purposes at Soi 8 in Pattaya with no conversion to a Non-Imm ‘O’.

Although it may be futile trying to apply logic to Immigration procedures, I really cannot see the point in them changing a Tourist Visa to a Non-Immigrant ‘O’ just so they can give the extension, nor why the rules should be different in BKK.

In Pattaya, the wording etc used for the extension is exactly the same whether you extend a Tourist or Non-Imm ‘O’: they simply extend your permission to stay in the Kingdom to one year following your date of entry.

Whatever, anyone intending to apply for an extension on the grounds of Retirement is best advised to come in on a Non-Immigrant ‘O’, in my opinion, as at least the rules there seem to be clear.

I was told by the Thai Consulate in Portland Oregon that they could issue me the Retirement Visa based upon meeting all of the requirements, and that I would need to only report my address every 90 days for the first year..  Upon applying for the 1 year extension, I would need to show the sums deposited within Thailand and from outside of the country to obtain the extention...  Thus avoiding tying up the 800,000 until the end of the first year...

Any comments???

Pianoman

Quite true. But you will also need police clearance and US medical, and a notary public.

Notarization has not been a requirement at this Consulate.

-redwood

Any comments???

Pianoman

Notarization has not been a requirement at this Consulate.

-redwood

Amazing :o Good for you.

Phil Clark said ...

"That may well be the case at Suan Plu, but they will extend a Tourist Visa for Retirement purposes at Soi 8 in Pattaya with no conversion to a Non-Imm ‘O’.

Although it may be futile trying to apply logic to Immigration procedures, I really cannot see the point in them changing a Tourist Visa to a Non-Immigrant ‘O’ just so they can give the extension, nor why the rules should be different in BKK.

In Pattaya, the wording etc used for the extension is exactly the same whether you extend a Tourist or Non-Imm ‘O’: they simply extend your permission to stay in the Kingdom to one year following your date of entry.

--------------------

Well this is news to most of us.

Is there anyone else out there that has received a 1yr retirement extension on a Tourist Visa ??

I don't believe there is any provision for extending a Tourist Visa for one year.

The Non Imm O is a different matter and can be extended on the basis of:

Marriage

Work Permit

Education

Phil Clark

With respect ..... Astral and Dr Pat are not both wrong.

What they are saying is what the Imm Law/Rules are.

If one office chooses to shortcut the rules, that is their decision and in this case it is a reasonable judgement to not require the Visa be a Non Imm O if the retiree has all the other requirements in place. But it does not follow the Rules.

I think the important question is .... did you or someone you know actually get this 1yr retirement extension, or is this just something you have heard thru the grapevine ? Do you know or have you seen the Passport with the Retirement Stamp and no Non Imm O ???

Phil Clark

If one office chooses to shortcut the rules, that is their decision and in this case it is a reasonable judgement to not require the Visa be a Non Imm O if the retiree has all the other requirements in place. But it does not follow the Rules.

I think the important question is  .... did you or someone you know actually get this 1yr retirement extension, or is this just something you have heard thru the grapevine ? Do you know or have you seen the Passport with the Retirement Stamp and no Non Imm O ???

Perhaps this knowall will post the stamp here. Personal details can be removed.

Phil Clark

I think the important question is  .... did you or someone you know actually get this 1yr retirement extension, or is this just something you have heard thru the grapevine ? Do you know or have you seen the Passport with the Retirement Stamp and no Non Imm O ???

Mr Pong,

Sorry, but I refuse to address you as ‘Dr.’ because judging from your petulance I do not believe you have that qualification. Moreover, why would you use it on a board such as this? It does little to impress me. Perhaps you are having a chuckle and it is short for: ‘Drongo’?

You refer to me as a ‘knowall’ (sic). I can assure you that I am far away from such a dizzy or lowly status, especially when it comes to matters concerning Thai Immigration flavours. All I do is share what I know to be fact at the time.

You obviously do not recall that we had the same debate a year ago and I did provide the evidence. You actually replied, somewhat reluctantly, and agreed that what I had put forward appeared to be the case. Not one person refuted the ‘evidence’, which was:

normal_gpp1.jpg

normal_gpp2.jpg

Accept it or not, in Pattaya several people I know have availed themselves of the facility since, whether you choose to believe it or otherwise.

“paulfr” at least had the decency to politely question this (as I did a year ago) yet you chose the classic snide one-liner for which you are well known. Why do you do that?

I have left my reply for a day or so as my second annual extension of my Non-Imm. ‘O’ Visa on the grounds of retirement was due. I wanted to ask the officer I know what their policy now is.

Happily having my extension until December 2005 stamped in my Passport, I asked him as to whether it was still possible for a Tourist Visa to be extended in Soi 8, as I showed him copies of the above pics.

Rather than go into too much detail, it would seem that: “each case is now considered on its own merit”. From his demeanour, I somehow do not think that is the ‘company line’ for all now. There has been a shake-up and I found it interesting that the ex-Chief Front Desk ‘Under-the-Table’ Clerk now seems to have been promoted.

Make of the above what you will, but as I said before, if anyone is coming in to Thailand with the intention of applying for a year’s extension on the grounds of retirement, they should come in on a Non-Immigrant ‘O’ Visa. It may well still be possible on a Tourist Visa in Pattaya, but I suspect there may be certain hurdles to negotiate so why bother if you do not have to?

Phil Clark

Mr Pong,

Sorry, but I refuse to address you as ‘Dr.’ because judging from your petulance I do not believe you have that qualification. Moreover, why would you use it on a board such as this? It does little to impress me. Perhaps you are having a chuckle and it is short for: ‘Drongo’?

You refer to me as a ‘knowall’ (sic). I can assure you that I am far away from such a dizzy or lowly status, especially when it comes to matters concerning Thai Immigration flavours. All I do is share what I know to be fact at the time.

You obviously do not recall that we had the same debate a year ago and I did provide the evidence. You actually replied, somewhat reluctantly, and agreed that what I had put forward appeared to be the case. Not one person refuted the ‘evidence’, which was:

normal_gpp1.jpg

normal_gpp2.jpg

Accept it or not, in Pattaya several people I know have availed themselves of the facility since, whether you choose to believe it or otherwise.

“paulfr” at least had the decency to politely question this (as I did a year ago) yet you chose the classic snide one-liner for which you are well known. Why do you do that?

I have left my reply for a day or so as my second annual extension of my Non-Imm. ‘O’ Visa on the grounds of retirement was due. I wanted to ask the officer I know what their policy now is.

Happily having my extension until December 2005 stamped in my Passport, I asked him as to whether it was still possible for a Tourist Visa to be extended in Soi 8, as I showed him copies of the above pics.

Rather than go into too much detail, it would seem that: “each case is now considered on its own merit”. From his demeanour, I somehow do not think that is the ‘company line’ for all now. There has been a shake-up and I found it interesting that the ex-Chief Front Desk ‘Under-the-Table’ Clerk now seems to have been promoted.

Make of the above what you will, but as I said before, if anyone is coming in to Thailand with the intention of applying for a year’s extension on the grounds of retirement, they should come in on a Non-Immigrant ‘O’ Visa. It may well still be possible on a Tourist Visa in Pattaya, but I suspect there may be certain hurdles to negotiate so why bother if you do not have to?

I still don't accept it. The law is to the contrary. FYI I am not likely to cop crap from you either.

Phil Clark

Mr Pong,

normal_gpp1.jpg

normal_gpp2.jpg

I still don't accept it. The law is to the contrary. FYI I am not likely to cop crap from you either.

AND the dates are iffy

Gentlemen: I remember the "debate" Phil refers to from a year ago.

The debate was whether or not one needed a Non Imm O from the start or whether or not a tourist visa could be 1st converted to an O, THEN extended for retirement,which has proven to be the case.Again,see PTE's"canned" post on this subject.

Could'nt this visa shown be one that was converted from an initial tourist visa to an O,THEN extended for retirement?? The key word being Converted.....

Point of interest....

My retirement extension has a stamp in capital letters on the top left ahead of the word Pattaya (in my case, Bangkok) saying

RETIREMENT

This one does not. No matter, he got a 1 yr extension. But maybe there is another provision under which it was granted.

Guess we will not know for sure unless we talk to the Imm Officer.

Ahhh life's little debates and puzzles ......

Point of interest....

My retirement extension has a stamp in capital letters on the top left ahead of the word Pattaya (in my case, Bangkok) saying

RETIREMENT

This one does not. No matter, he got a 1 yr extension. But maybe there is another provision under which it was granted.

Guess we will not know for sure unless we talk to the Imm Officer.

Ahhh life's little debates and puzzles ......

An enigma indeed. As oft' said, the rules are that there are no rules :o