Bandwith Throttling/shaping With Tt&t

Kyosuken

hi,

I just noticed something a couple of days ago, it seems that whatever i try to connect to and that the port in use is above 1000 or something i get automatic BW shaping, and i don't mean torrent only...

they want to do that, but they do it the wrong way... i have a VNC connection overseas, i can't connect to it because the port is above 1000 how stupid is that, as soon as the server is reconfigured to use a port under 1000, the connection is fast rocket.

Worse it happens on http too... i have to do remote administration on my hosting service and it uses the default port for CPANEL (wich is 2082) and the things crawls at like 1KB/S !

And it's not a problem with the speed itself, if i donwload files from regular websites i get average speed well above 90KB/s constantly...

They don't want users to kill the international BW, good i don't mind but <deleted> why shape every ports ? they really do it the wrong way

Damnit with TT&T and their stripped down MAXNET, i couldn't care less about traffic shapping if it was for P2P only... but now it's so badly done that anything but "Browsing" is DEAD !

FTP (it's not P2P last time i checked...) => frequent disconnections, unstable connection speed (great when you work with hosting service outside Thailand !), Workaround.. working with Active instead of passive FTP does the trick but is not 100% bulletproof...

VNC (It may be called P2P but last time i checked you can't download anything from that, and it's a really bad "proxy") => No more remote controling for administration services, or any remote support (mind you some people work with these huh ?)

RDP (aka Windows Remote Desktop, also used with the remote assistance plugin of windows live) => Same as VNC

Skyping ... Works partially because it uses port 80 to work and port 80 is not stripped down/limited ... whatever

Anything http based that doesn't work on https or port 80, like CPANEL - for linux admins out there - or Phpmyadmin that is directly under CPANEL administration... (i suppose this is their way to hijack proxies but "hello macfly, custom Http ports don't always mean proxies"...

Any DirectX tcp layer based games (using some know port range to connect to online games) like Wow, or whater MMO you want to play => if you are able to log in, it stops right after that because the bandwidth goes far beyond something acceptable doh..

Frequent Live hotmail disruption of service, well because doh live hotmail uses very complex redirecting between sites, and sure enough not always by using port 80... (though they fixed it by analizing the traffic but anyway it may not be only the case for live hotmail)

And the list goes on, i didn't try yet pop3 email connections... cause i don't use any (gmail to the rescue) but i am pretty sure it may be a problem here too (unless they don't filter this port)..

Now all that for what ? prevent P2P and proxies ? doh... try again, because it's east to setup a router to use port 80 for any P2P software out there to have full speed ! how stupid is that ? limit port 80 so nobody can do anything ?

And lastly, their traceroutes that shows that at least one or more routers have Private IP instead of public ones, way to go !

I have had hard time reconfiguring some servers (ie reconfigure the CPANEL feature when possible) to work on port 80 so i can continue to do my job, but for the rest => i can still pray for it...

Really this is a pain in my *ss, most of you people complain about P2P here, but i would like to know what gives for the lists of internet services i mentioned above :o

And lastly, their traceroutes that shows that at least one or more routers have Private IP instead of public ones, way to go !

Do you mean a traceroute which looks like this : (click on the picture :D )

post-12567-1195315402_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what the IP addresses 10.124.83.254-254 can be, but they cause a massive package loss... For a while it is not longer possible to connect to my Slingbox (here IP 84.53.73.200), and I'm quite sure these mystery addresses are the reason why. The help desk from my router sends me to my IP, and Maxnet says they have no idea (surprise !) , but that they are aware there is a problem with international bandwidth which shall be solved soon. If there is someone who can my explain what this all is, I will owe him a couple of beers :o

I have no problem with bittorrent (a good torrent gives here a download over 200 Kb/s - even using high port numbers), but I will follow your advise and ask my friend at home to configure my Slingbox that it will stream over port 80 or 443.

Do you mean a traceroute which looks like this : (click on the picture :D )

post-12567-1195315402_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what the IP addresses 10.124.83.254-254 can be (Seems to be your Modem/Router/Gateway), but they cause a massive package loss...(Check the config) For a while it is not longer possible to connect to my Slingbox (here IP 84.53.73.200), and I'm quite sure these mystery addresses are the reason why. The help desk from my router sends me to my IP, and Maxnet says they have no idea (surprise !) , but that they are aware there is a problem with international bandwidth which shall be solved soon. If there is someone who can my explain what this all is, I will owe him a couple of beers :o

I have no problem with bittorrent (a good torrent gives here a download over 200 Kb/s - even using high port numbers), but I will follow your advise and ask my friend at home to configure my Slingbox that it will stream over port 80 or 443.

I would suggest to use port 443 (https) for streaming!

For the package loss you'll need to check the settings of your Modem/Router. Looks like the config has some problems.

@Reimar :

It's not a router misconfiguration or whatever, the problem appeared when TT&T upgraded the connections up to double speed (funny enough they upgraded mine from 1024 to 2560). The gateway in the router is automatically assigned by the ISP by the way, i don't see what you can do about it : it's PPPOE we are dealing with not "DHCP". And in case you thought that i had messed with "Routes" in the router configuration : it's empty.

Looks like the guy marcus got the same problem, and i am pretty sure 100% of the people on Maxnet right now is the same

@Marcus :

Up to 4 router nodes inside the TT&T network have private IP assigned to them, which shows completely "LACK" of networking knowledges from the "engineers" that set them up, private IPs are internal network structures not external ones they aren't mean to do routing over internet, of course one can do because the equipment allows it but that doesn't follow any "standard" . The problems with private IP range in the network is that beyond the "poorly" designed network infrastructure trouble shooting via traceroute is a no go : You don't know because of this if the problems lies further down the trace or in these bad setup routers.... ! Moreover if you use a remote connection to another network that has internal ip matching one of the router (vpn for example) you may have some funny things happening... mostly failing to connect...

On the topic of torrent i can have high speed up op 250KB/s even with high port range, if i connect to a tracker in Thailand (there are some out there) but the real International one are prone to being dumbed down, as i manage a lot of things out of Thailand i don't give a dam_n about P2P in land, if i need to do remoting though i expect the dam_n service not to prevent me to do so !

Now on the general topic : as i said i couldn't careless about traffic shaping if it was done the "good" way : as in service detection by protocol, pattern behaviors (smart P2P detection by download patterns = multi ip connections in limited time vs on steady connection at a time) instead of blind Port shaping like these dumbass do, it's not because you want the most juice taken from P2P that the rest of the Internet experience should suffer because of this : Internet is NOT the http and https <deleted> !

hi,

I just noticed something a couple of days ago, it seems that whatever i try to connect to and that the port in use is above 1000 or something i get automatic BW shaping, and i don't mean torrent only...

they want to do that, but they do it the wrong way... i have a VNC connection overseas, i can't connect to it because the port is above 1000 how stupid is that, as soon as the server is reconfigured to use a port under 1000, the connection is fast rocket.

Worse it happens on http too... i have to do remote administration on my hosting service and it uses the default port for CPANEL (wich is 2082) and the things crawls at like 1KB/S !

And it's not a problem with the speed itself, if i donwload files from regular websites i get average speed well above 90KB/s constantly...

They don't want users to kill the international BW, good i don't mind but <deleted> why shape every ports ? they really do it the wrong way

Maybe this is what I've been running up against. I just moved into a new condo that has TT&T. yesterday I was trying to "synchronize" on of my web sites (another 'puter is still packed). When I went in with my ftp client and tried to download, the thing was dead slow .. I mean less than 1k. Upload speed were very fast .. hard to figure out especially after a speed test showed 1,120/256.

I just sent your comment to my VPS provider hoping they can tweek something.

Thanks for your answers ! So it's TT&T who messed it up and there is nothing we can do about it :o

I just did a test over my neighbor's Maxnet connection, and he has the same problem too...

Off topic : I really don't understand that there are still so many people using bittorrent ... I use a service like rapidshare (direct download), combined with a downloadmanager. I can find almost everything over there, and a typical 700 MB movie can be downloaded in one hour - even with Maxnet.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153130

This was another thread of mine detailing the problem I have accessing just one site using my TT&T ADSL.

I am no techie but could TT&T's 'problems' be the cause?

The Barclays Stockbroker site is important to me and I need to use it on a regular basis so unless my access problems with TT&T can be sorted out soon I will need to change my ISP.

@Oleg_Rus

Yes indeed VPN is, but well depends what type, pptp ? l2tp ? using https to make first connection or not ? (L2tp works usually with IPsec so https for first connection is not needed PPTP in the other hand use direct port access at first which would fail with traffic shaping) though there may be other proprietary vpn solution out there with full encryption.

Depends of the price too... but anyway it's not the problem here as i said limiting P2P i don't care, Internet is not http/https and P2P... :o

@klikster

If you are using a FTP based solution to synchronize your website i advise if possible to look into the settings and uncheck passive ftp transfer this will force your ftp client to use only port 21 for connecting and transferring to the ftp server, as port 21 is not dumbed down it shall work

@apetley

I don't know, do you use a software to connect to this site ? or you mean just accessing the website is crawling ? if it's the first then they are using a port to connect to the website different than 80 (i suppose to filter out people or for other security purpose), in this case of "blind" traffic shaping you can do either VPN, at a cost, or change ISP...

And again, they did this to circumvent P2P, but as long as you are going to let open "ONE port" you will have a way to make P2P work, it's easy blind blocking, traffic shaping on 'PORTS' is not a solution, it's so much dumb i wonder who is the smartass that came with it in the first place. So why no push the logic further and block everything, now that would be good publicity for TT&T : We guaranty Zero P2P, nor pr0n access over our network... well you guaranty your Internet is broken beyond any hope ... :D

@klikster

If you are using a FTP based solution to synchronize your website i advise if possible to look into the settings and uncheck passive ftp transfer this will force your ftp client to use only port 21 for connecting and transferring to the ftp server, as port 21 is not dumbed down it shall work

Kyosuken, thank you!!! Changing that transfer mode did the trick. Some karma headed your way .. and a meal or libation if you're ever in Cha am. Just PM me :o

suggest to use port 443 (https) for streaming!

The slingbox is now configured to stream over port 443, and guess what ? It's working ! I also tested another slingbox which is still configured for port 5001, and it's still dead, so Kyosuken was completely right and Maxnet is indeed blocking ports. Thanks helpdesk of Maxnet for not telling this !

@Marcus :

Up to 4 router nodes inside the TT&T network have private IP assigned to them, which shows completely "LACK" of networking knowledges from the "engineers" that set them up, private IPs are internal network structures not external ones they aren't mean to do routing over internet, of course one can do because the equipment allows it but that doesn't follow any "standard" . The problems with private IP range in the network is that beyond the "poorly" designed network infrastructure trouble shooting via traceroute is a no go : You don't know because of this if the problems lies further down the trace or in these bad setup routers.... ! Moreover if you use a remote connection to another network that has internal ip matching one of the router (vpn for example) you may have some funny things happening... mostly failing to connect...

Just a guess, but can it have to do with their "IP address pool" ? If I understand Maxnet well, several users "share" an IP address. So, it seems logic to me that Maxnet has another router between all these users and the internet. That router will act as a DHCP server and give all the users an internal "private adress" in the range of 10.122.84.xxx), just as my router is doing for the PC's on my LAN.

@apetley

I don't know, do you use a software to connect to this site ? or you mean just accessing the website is crawling ? if it's the first then they are using a port to connect to the website different than 80 (i suppose to filter out people or for other security purpose), in this case of "blind" traffic shaping you can do either VPN, at a cost, or change ISP...

Hi Kyosuken, thanks for the reply.is only one site, stockbrokers.barclays.co.uk that I fail to access. Fail to access in the afternoon and evening that is, I can access in the morning, when I don't need it!!!

I don't use any other software other than Firefox to access the web thru TT&T and it .

I lost connectivity to TT&T late this morning and still havent got it back so paid a visit to the local TT&T office here in Kanchanaburi.

First they tried to tell me I had a problem with my notebook as I said that I had lost wireless connectivity.

Told them that I could connect ok this morning using LAN.

Then they told me the Barclays Stockbroker website must be down.

So I showed them how to access via a proxy website after their own pc failed to connect too.

The manager then phoned 1103, the helpline.

Seems TT&T are having a major overhaul of their system and neglected to tell their customers.

They have 2 days to come up with a solution or I look for another ISP.

stockbrokers.barclays.co.uk doesn't work for me.

www.stockbrokers.barclays.co.uk does, it's a normal http site, by its look, so you maybe not lucky and have very bad adsl in your area....

But because the site fails from their own computers... it's "enlightening"

Edited by Kyosuken

To everyone with Maxnet problems, make sure you are signed up for "premier" and not "indy". Originally I had the "indy" package and was experiencing the problems with traffic-shaping. I believe it was about 600bt per month, after switching to "premier" for about 1,200bt per month for the 1mb connection all these problems went away. Its still not fast 24/7 but everything works at least. Might be worth looking into.

:o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with any port above 1000 and with ftp, also had problems with AOL and a proxy server that I use to be able to download bbc TV (checks ip for location).

After reading comments on here I called Maxnet this morning and upgraded from indy to premier, costs an extra 300 baht per month but now it works just fine.

Andy

spot on, so what happens when all the sub-ports are blocked other than basic HTTP/S, we will all have to upgrade, then when that price range gets full ?(same network) and on and on, Thai ISP's can't deliver the speed and access already.

Unless you understand the network, but they are brutal with port blocking, send them to school please.

Edited by solent01

To everyone with Maxnet problems, make sure you are signed up for "premier" and not "indy". Originally I had the "indy" package and was experiencing the problems with traffic-shaping. I believe it was about 600bt per month, after switching to "premier" for about 1,200bt per month for the 1mb connection all these problems went away. Its still not fast 24/7 but everything works at least. Might be worth looking into.

:o

I looked at their site yesterday with the idea of upgrading. It is in Thai, so I couldn't be sure .. but it shows the Premier package 512/256 costing Bt 1,900. How do I get the 1 m for Bt 1,200?

:D

I looked at their site yesterday with the idea of upgrading. It is in Thai, so I couldn't be sure .. but it shows the Premier package 512/256 costing Bt 1,900. How do I get the 1 m for Bt 1,200?

That website is miles out of date....imagine my surprise.... :o

For 1024/512 on Premier which Im going to change to is 1166 inc tax now, the old price for 256/128. Sure hoping it solves my problems with my java trading application that will only work with a VPN connection (which takes 3/4 reboots of router to login to a connection that works!) ....ah the joys of Thai ISP's. Never known anything quite like it.....nothing quite like trial and error to get a nice consistent ISP service....er...er.... :D

Will post back to report on whether it solves my problems....fingers crossed

For 1024/512 on Premier which Im going to change to is 1166 inc tax now, the old price for 256/128. Sure hoping it solves my problems with my java trading application that will only work with a VPN connection (which takes 3/4 reboots of router to login to a connection that works!) ....ah the joys of Thai ISP's. Never known anything quite like it.....nothing quite like trial and error to get a nice consistent ISP service....er...er.... :D

That price of 1,090 baht per month before tax is a promotion price until December 31st, the normal price is 3,400 baht per month before tax. Nobody knows yet if current subscribers will see a price increase at the end of the year when the promotion ends.

:D

Joys of Thai ISP's indeed. Tried to call Maxnet 1103 .. got the "for english press 9" .. it's in Thai ..

Finally get through (3 rd try) on the BKK service center number.

"What is your telephone number?" 081 xxxxxxx

"What is your telephone number?" 081 xxxxxxx "No, What is your telephone number?" 081 xxxxxxx

on hold for a couple of minutes.

"What is your ADSL number?" Ahhhhhh! 032 xxxxxx

On hold again

You have to go to the TTT office in Cha am.

So high tech it's mind boggling!

*sigh*

"Joys of Thai ISP's indeed. Tried to call Maxnet 1103 .. got the "for english press 9" .. it's in Thai ..

Finally get through (3 rd try) on the BKK service center number.

"What is your telephone number?" 081 xxxxxxx

"What is your telephone number?" 081 xxxxxxx "No, What is your telephone number?" 081 xxxxxxx

on hold for a couple of minutes.

"What is your ADSL number?" Ahhhhhh! 032 xxxxxx

On hold again

You have to go to the TTT office in Cha am.

So high tech it's mind boggling!

*sigh*

Aye had the same thing here in Phuket. The press 9 for English has never worked, think it may just be a flag to whomever picks up the phone, so they know in advance that neither you or they will have a clue what you are on about until they finally get someone who can speak English. (more our problem than theirs, we are i Thailand after all, but if you advertise press 9 for english then.........) Just like the button on the web site for english....er yeah right , that works great......hmmmm...fills you with confidence I dont think

So finally get a decent response but then its better to call the local office and it all starts again....... :o How boring life would be without these "professional" organisations to deal with.....

That price of 1,090 baht per month before tax is a promotion price until December 31st, the normal price is 3,400 baht per month before tax. Nobody knows yet if current subscribers will see a price increase at the end of the year when the promotion ends.

Hadnt appreciated that delboy.....who knows what may happen in the new year then. I suspect prices will still be lower based on the fact that the indy packages are now a lot less for higher bandwidth. Heres hoping....

Aye had the same thing here in Phuket. The press 9 for English has never worked, think it may just be a flag to whomever picks up the phone, so they know in advance that neither you or they will have a clue what you are on about until they finally get someone who can speak English. (more our problem than theirs, we are i Thailand after all, but if you advertise press 9 for english then.........)

I can usually get along in basic Thai .. except for technical terms and anything complex. But what seemed to follow the "press 9" were a series of additional (and fairly rapid) recorded messages in Thai about pressing other numbers for different options.

If I know that I am going to need a Thai speaker, I get a friend or one of the condo staff to help. But when something says "in english", at a minimum I expect basic broken english.

These posts are facinating reading. Answers a lot of my questions/problems over the last few months when the ass fell out of Internet Thailand world. Interesting to read about the "Port shaping" by TT&T and that explains my probem perfectly so I've noted the <1000 fix. Is there any way to check what ports are free to use below 1000? Maybe a Windows command?

I've been testing other possible work-arounds by changing my router (D-Link DSL-2640T) configuration and have had some success. If this continues over the next two weeks I'll be sure to share it here.

For Service I dial 1103 - 9 - 7 then ask for Maxnet ADSL service. Works for me and I've phoned plenty of times. I even have a tempplate eMail for sending my complaints to TT&T. Never does any good, though I keep everything polite but I do provide them with detailed proof of the lousy service.

Right now I'm downloading the latest Ubuntu 7.10 release from the official Ubuntu torrent site with µTorrent at 165KB/s.

Thanks for all the info everyone.