Singapore Visa Run

I have been to Singapore for a Tourist Visa 3 times. The last time was Sept. 2006. The first two times before that went well. The last time I was there however, the lady looked at my application (did not even look in my passport) and said "you just came from Thailand, you can't apply for a visa" (on the application it asks about your last visit to Thailand) then she pushed my application, passport and visa fee back at me. I left with my tail between my legs without a fight.

I recognized the lady as the same Indian lady that accepted my applications on the previous two visits I had made without out having any difficulties.

There were extenuating circumstances that may have contributed the embassy employe's disposition.

The day before my visit to the Thai Embassy in Singapore was the day I flew out of Thailand to Singapore and as it turned out also happened to be the day of the coup. So I applied for my Tourist Visa the day after the coup in Thailand.

At the embassy the lady in line in front of me was trying to organize visas for a group of Koreans. The lady must have had 10-20 passports in her hand. Anyway I heard the Indian lady behind the window angerly saying somthing about her (the woman trying to organize the Korean visas) just being there the day before. That lady was sent packing with nothing being accomplished...(embassy employee is visably in a very bad mood now)...So then it was my turn. And I was sent packing as well.

**By the way, I was dressed respectably. I was not in a 3 piece suit but I was wearing slacks and a collard shirt, no backpack.

It is possible that my timing was just unlucky or what I don't know. I did not want to argue with her and make my problems worse. I was worried about Thailand's political situation at the time and just being able to get back into the country. So I just got on a plane and hoped I could still get the 30 day visa exemption at the airport on arrival in Thailand. That trip was a big waste of money, oh well **it happens.

This was also the same time period that the new rules regaurding the 90 days within 6 months visa waiver rules were anounced (going into effect in Oct. 2006 I believe) and at the time many people including myself were still confused about the rules. That is why I chose to go to Singapore to get a Tourist Visa from the embassy rather than doing the, what was then, normal border crossing.

It was over a year ago. I have not been back to Singapore since. Don't let my post worry you too much. I think my timing was just bad and I caught the aformentioned lady on a bad day. But, this was my experience and you did ask.

As I remember applications were being accepted at 9 AM till 12 noon. And you go back the next day to pick-up at 1 or 2 PM (sorry a bit fuzzy on the times).

As for Singapore I think it's a great city and worth a trip if you have not been there before. There is plenty to see and do. The food is terrific, taxis (will use the meter and are reasonably priced) and subways are very efficient. Both will get you to and from the airport easily. If you want to use the subway to get to the Thai embassy, get off at the Orchard Metro Station and walk about 2 or 3 blocks west on Orchard Blvd it's on the right hand side of the street (about 1 kilometer).

If you have not booked a room I found the visitors stand near the airport exit on the arrivals level very helpful.

Yes, I like Singapore and I would have been back several times were it not for my last experience at the Thai embassy.

Good Luck, Enjoy, Happy New Year!

By the way....Is it just me? Or are Singapore women just Drop-Dead Gorgeous? Serious Question!!!

Thank you for your detailed experience at the embassy in Singapore. Can I ask you - did you get back into Thailand ok when you went to the airport? ie did they stamp you back in to the country for 30 days again ok? Did you show an onward flight ticket at the embassy?

I have never had to show one before but I have been going to Penang for my tvs the past 3 times - the last time I was refused one and granted a transit visa instead along with a stamp that says not to come to Penang for a visa again. I was wondering if I presented an onward flight ticket with my application it might work in my favour. Do you know if they would ask for it if they wanted to see one, giving me a chance to go and buy one, or would they make the decision just based on the info they have in front of them at the time?

Thanks again for the advice

I live in Singapore and from all accounts they are not friendly down here - we do not even bother with non-imm B's now and neither do most major companies whose staff I have spoken too.

If Penang refused you then you might find Singapore tough but that is just talk I have heard - please take more notice of people with direct personal experience

Edit - PS - I have a pal who wanted to try heer and stay with me for a few days from the 20th but I will be in BKK for business but then another pal told him to try Vientiene

Edited by Prakanong

I live in Singapore and from all accounts they are not friendly down here - we do not even bother with non-imm B's now and neither do most major companies whose staff I have spoken too.

If Penang refused you then you might find Singapore tough but that is just talk I have heard - please take more notice of people with direct personal experience

Edit - PS - I have a pal who wanted to try hear and stay with me for a few days from the 20th but I will be in BKK for business but then another pal told him to try Vientiene

"another pal told him to try Vientiene"

best bet at mo! (my opinion)

Just came back from Singapore and got Non-B based on employment no problem. I did get a stamp on the visa saying I need to apply for a work permit which should be presented next time but assumed I got that because I had a non-B multi-entry for a year and never got a work permit. I also thought maybe I would have been denied the visa (since I had a non-B with no work permit last year) if not for the prestige of the company which has employed me (but of course haven't worked for yet). So, that's all I can say about that.

I'm curious to know what Prakanong means when he says they "don't bother" with non-B's anymore. Talking about getting non-B's for those going on work trips to Thailand? If so, then I understand. If you mean sending people to work for long term than if all the paperwork is in order, seems you should get it as I did, and of course you need a non-B to apply for a work permit once in Thailand. Although, some get them on Non-o's if they qualify, I think.

Edit to note I don't know about TVs but I saw a lot applying for them there. Not sure who was denied and accepted although I noticed many got their visas, whatever they applied for, no problem. Also, I think Singapore does not issue multi-entry non-Bs but not sure about multi non-O's. Also, a note that the Nigerian in front of me when applying was told that Nigerians could not apply for a Thai visa in Singapore and could only apply for one in London. The Nigerian and partner (don't know what nationality but was from Europe or S. Africa I believe) were both shocked.

Edited by Jimjim

Just came back from Singapore and got Non-B based on employment no problem. I did get a stamp on the visa saying I need to apply for a work permit which should be presented next time but assumed I got that because I had a non-B multi-entry for a year and never got a work permit. I also thought maybe I would have been denied the visa (since I had a non-B with no work permit last year) if not for the prestige of the company which has employed me (but of course haven't worked for yet). So, that's all I can say about that.

I'm curious to know what Prakanong means when he says they "don't bother" with non-B's anymore. Talking about getting non-B's for those going on work trips to Thailand? If so, then I understand. If you mean sending people to work for long term than if all the paperwork is in order, seems you should get it as I did, and of course you need a non-B to apply for a work permit once in Thailand. Although, some get them on Non-o's if they qualify, I think.

Edit to note I don't know about TVs but I saw a lot applying for them there. Not sure who was denied and accepted although I noticed many got their visas, whatever they applied for, no problem. Also, I think Singapore does not issue multi-entry non-Bs but not sure about multi non-O's. Also, a note that the Nigerian in front of me when applying was told that Nigerians could not apply for a Thai visa in Singapore and could only apply for one in London. The Nigerian and partner (don't know what nationality but was from Europe or S. Africa I believe) were both shocked.

Hi JimJim

Its exactly as you assume - its for our business visits to Thailand from Singapore. Even though we work for a very large MNC in the AP Regional office in Singapore and need to visit Thailand they still will only give us single entry non-imm B

That would be a page for the visa and another 1/4 for the stamp each visit - my last passport lasted 3 years and I want a bit more out of this one.

Well I'm back, although this will be the last time for me! The woman at the visa desk just asked if I was going to be employed or studying for any course, then charged me $50 and handed me a receipt! Done and dusted in under a minute. Although I was holding off on the celebrations until I could see it with my own eyes. Which I did the next day - although this one also had a stamp on it saying that this was the one end only time I can apply for a tv in Singapore.

So I have another 60 days at least. I will try for the 30 day extension at the immigration office here in Krabi - but I'm not counting on it. I'm going to have to move on as my time here has come to and end, thanks to this. It's a shame as I love Thailand, but that's the way it is I suppose.

Thanks for all the views and advice

• 1 month later...
Well I'm back, although this will be the last time for me! The woman at the visa desk just asked if I was going to be employed or studying for any course, then charged me $50 and handed me a receipt! Done and dusted in under a minute. Although I was holding off on the celebrations until I could see it with my own eyes. Which I did the next day - although this one also had a stamp on it saying that this was the one end only time I can apply for a tv in Singapore.

So I have another 60 days at least. I will try for the 30 day extension at the immigration office here in Krabi - but I'm not counting on it. I'm going to have to move on as my time here has come to and end, thanks to this. It's a shame as I love Thailand, but that's the way it is I suppose.

Thanks for all the views and advice

Does anybody have any recent reports on Singapore for Visa Runs??? Or is everyone going to Laos these days?