Khon Kaen To Vientiane

Just spent a few days in Laos and done the new DIRECT NON STOP air bus trip from Khon Kaen to downtown Vientiene.

For just 180baht you get city to city with no stops or pick-ups in 3.5 hours. In the past a taxi from the Laos side to Vientiane would cost you 600baht so this has to be a great bargain.

There are already existing direct services from Nong Kai and Udon (80 baht one way) so it no longer makes sense to use the train or stopping buses.

Just spent a few days in Laos and done the new DIRECT NON STOP air bus trip from Khon Kaen to downtown Vientiene.

For just 180baht you get city to city with no stops or pick-ups in 3.5 hours. In the past a taxi from the Laos side to Vientiane would cost you 600baht so this has to be a great bargain.

There are already existing direct services from Nong Kai and Udon (80 baht one way) so it no longer makes sense to use the train or stopping buses.

I believe they read Thaivisa and so they know that a lot of Visarunners are heading for Vientiane! :o

[/quot

I would be interested in how they process the Lao visa once you get to the bridge. Do you stay on one bus all the way to downtown Vientiane?? I heard you have to change buses once you are across. Just interested because I am exploring travel alternatives for that trip.

I would be interested in how they process the Lao visa once you get to the bridge. Do you stay on one bus all the way to downtown Vientiane?? I heard you have to change buses once you are across. Just interested because I am exploring travel alternatives for that trip.

typically with these direct services you need a visa - or be visa exempt - before you board, to facilitate fast stamping in and out on the loas side.

Given that Thai's dont need a visa, this isn't a big issue.

^^ I did a quick search last night. I found references to the service starting on 14/2/08 and costing 180B in both The Bangkok Post and The Nation. I also found references on private travel blogs to people having used this bus but so far I've found little specific information.

The process at the border is simple but it is advisable to get a visa prior to the trip. The bus drops passengers at the exit booths

and once stamped you re board to cross the bridge. All luggage remains on board with the luggage bays open so customs can see and inspect if they want.

Once the bridge is crossed you disembark again,go through Lao immigration and then reboard to continue to the bus station in the centre of Vietiane.

A very easy,simple and hassle free trip which takes about 4.00 hours in total.

Quick! Can anyone be more precise as to the chances of getting a laos visa at the border?

I have just heard of the new hassles at the Thai Consulate in Penang and already have a return flight booked for tomorrow (Sunday 2/3/08). Lucky me!

If I can be very sure of getting a Lao visa at the border AND of getting a two month tourist visa to return to Thailand (I'm on my second Penang-issued 60-day tourist visa + 30 day extension) then I'll go to Morchit 2 and take the dam_n bus. I already know the Thai Inter airfare BKK-Lao rtn. is over 10,000 baht. All this because my school has been playing Cheap-Charlie with new teachers who started in the second term. Of course, they are laughing all the way to the bank now, but if they want us back (and they do - we're both really good) they'll have to do a lot better before the end of March - as I have been hammering into my coordinator ever since last October.

She has a good heart - it just doesn't pump enough blood to her brain.

Randy White / Chatuchak BKK.

If you are talking about the through bus to Vientiane I doubt very much they will stick around to allow anyone to obtain a visa at the border - they don't do that on the bus from Udon from my understanding. But you could easily take train or regular bus service to Nong Khai or Udon to make the run. Visa is available and two photos are asked for (price of visa varies by nationality and they seem to shun USD presently - so have baht).

I can clarify a few points here, There are both a Lao Consulate and Vietnamese Consulate in Khon Kaen. You can get your Lao Visa at the Lao Consulate in 5 minutes or overnight depending on how big a hurry your in. You cannot get on the International bus without having a visa in advance, this is a fact going both ways from Laos to Thailand and from Thailand to Laos.

This service has been chatted about since November 2007. There are two bus stations in KK, the OP did not clarify which bus station he caught the bus at or the departure times. If anyone knows the schedule please post it.

Muchos gracias amigos!

However as it's too late to cancel my flight I have decided to go for it in Penang. Besides, school's over and I don't have to rush back, so I can go on to KL or get a 30-day at Suwannapoom...Oops - you got me! I'm an Aussie.

Sum up: Don't cry for me, Argentina

PS: I'll let you know how I get on.

If you are talking about the through bus to Vientiane I doubt very much they will stick around to allow anyone to obtain a visa at the border - they don't do that on the bus from Udon from my understanding. But you could easily take train or regular bus service to Nong Khai or Udon to make the run. Visa is available and two photos are asked for (price of visa varies by nationality and they seem to shun USD presently - so have baht).

No,and they don't allow you yo take the bus to the border only,wich,IMHO,would only be fair.

1 photo is normally enough.

Do not pay in Baht,$ ARE accepted,it's only a scam. :o

Well if they are currently into ripping the USD and returning it as currently being reported that could get rather expensive.

seems those officers have quickly learned from their counterparts at Cambodian land-borders in refusing the weak Greenback and rather make some "extra" money for themselves :o

The bus leaves the Khon Kaen air conditioned bus terminal (near the Kaen Inn) at 8.15am and 2.15pm each day. Tickets can not be purchased in advance. The ticket office opens at 7.00am and tickets are 1 way only. The 8.15am Khon Kaen bus is Thai operated while a Laos bus departs Vientiane for KK at the same time. Both bus trips take around 4 hours station to station. The same driver and bus then turns around and does the return leg.

Some Thai/Laos locals find the 2 hours enough for a quick shopping trip and return on the next bus. As has been stated elsewhere you must have a Laos visa which is easily had from the KK Laos consul. It takes about 10 minutes.

The Thai bus is of a better grade or standard than the Laos counterpart. Be warned they allow you little time for duty free browsing on the return trip. The bus is also often stopped and checked on the return leg to Thailand by the police at a checkpoint about 10 clicks south of the border heading for KK.

No stops apart from a toilet break.

A bargain for 180Baht.

Any more questions?

Edited by rimbung

1600baht and be warned that (like Thai government offices) they close for lunch.

As you head out of town the consulate is on the right hand side of the road. All the Tuk Tuk guys know it.

The Thai bus has very little legroom on the first row of seats due to a glazed door and barrier separating the driver.

At present the bus is never full but things could change.

Edited by rimbung

Passport returned from agent today with normal TR visa stamp so my decision to stay the course has paid off.

However, booking a return flight BKK-PEN two months in advance I had to allow for the May Day govt. holiday at the Thai Consulate here.

Bottom Line: Things have eased off. I DON"T have to have a flight out of SE Asia after all, which means I DO have a flight I can use next time (i.e. no 'Apply Elsewhere Next Time' stamps). I have heard that a return air ticket from anywhere in Thailand to anywhere outside Thailand is all they want at the moment.

So I should be able to front up here in two or three months with all the docs. and money etc. etc. required for a new Non. Imm. 'O'

Lucky I had the money to buy the ticket now though!

RAW.

• 2 weeks later...
Well if they are currently into ripping the USD and returning it as currently being reported that could get rather expensive.

Back from a week in Lao,happy to report that they accepted my35$,no problem,friendly as always.

If they only would give a free 30 day entry as Thailand..... :o