Dog Quarantine?

Hi. Going through a whole number of things prior to moving out to CM.

Was wondering, have any of you brought your pet dog to Thailand from Europe, more specifically UK?

If so was there quarantine to go through etc?

Here in UK take dog walking & running in fields belonging to farmers, where do you take yours for a good run & play?

Also last one on this topic......may sound daft......but do your pooches get bothered by mozzies?? :o

Thanks in advance

Scottie

The procedcure is: get an International Health Cert. from your vet. Make sure you can pay the dog onto your flight as excess baggage or else send on a cargo flight. If your dog has a good pedigree and you want to register with Thai Kennel Club you must first get export papers from UK kennel club so that the dog can be re-registered. I have German Shepherds and Pit Bulls and live in a farming community. Yes, I take them for walks and swims in the river. The local dogs back down from a dog with a lead on with its master. High risk of the dog contracting mange in hot and humid Thailand and most of my dogs take a preventative capsule every month. Any further advice please contact me. What kind of dogs do you have? I am looking for wel-bred Dobermanns, Border Collies and Bull Terriers. By the way - Staffordshires and Pit Bulls are banned from import all other breeds are ok.

Hi Toddy,

many thanks for quick reply.

We have a 6mth old golden retriever & obviously want her to be fine in CM.

Am I right in thinking the only benefit of being in Thai kennel club is if we want to breed from her?

With your dogs, did any of them live in UK/Europe first?

& have you taken any of them back?

Would imagine quarantine getting back into UK would be 6 mths solitary! :o

Will speak to our vet.

Thanks for the other snippets of info Toddy.

Scottie

Goldens seem to do well in Thailand and do not seem to lose appetite like German Shepherds.

Yes, if you want to breed or show your dog, you need to re-register it.

Yes, quarentine necessary on return.

My dogs were all bred in Thailand and are of good quality (hard to find). I will import some Dobermanns from UK soon and see how they go.

Remember: Rabies shot required for export (forgot to tell you before).

My email is [email protected] and I live in a village in Buriram. Do not hesitate to get in touch.

Mozzies not so bad for longer coated dogs but ants give a bit of discomfort. I recommend you use FRONTLINE every 2 months and you will not see a pest/flea on your dog at anytime. It is invaluable here and available in Khorat/Bangkok.

All 4 now mate.

Mozzies not so bad for longer coated dogs but ants give a bit of discomfort. I recommend you use FRONTLINE every 2 months and you will not see a pest/flea on your dog at anytime. It is invaluable here and available in Khorat/Bangkok.

All 4 now mate.

Heartworm preventention tablets are important as well, as the disease is carried in mosquitoes, I find that Heartguard works quite well. Now they have the chewable treats instead of the tablets the dog would just spit out :o Once a month does the trick! Good Luck....I second the excess bagage alternative, definetely the way to go. :D

Thanks Pluto Manibo. I'll see if our vet knows anything about that quarantine, wonder if that would only apply if coming into UK from certain countries?

Of which no doubt Thailand isn't one.

Ta for advice re heartworm tabs. Guessed there might be a few things like that.

Hope she's OK with all the extra things...& don't upset stomach.

Scottie

> Here in UK take dog walking & running in fields belonging to farmers,

> where do you take yours for a good run & play?

Near waterfalls and national parks. Mostly those off the road to Doi Suthep (Pha Ngoeb and the other one). Basically anywhere where it's forrested, no big roads around and the dog enjoys the water.

If I don't want to go that far then I often go to the area that will become the Chiang Mai night safari. Or the CMU Agriculture campus off the Canal Road. For my dog a major requirement is that there are no other dogs around; she dislikes dogs. :o So for me this disqualifies most of the rural back sois and villages and temples; too many dogs around. Well, Wat Umong temple is semi-ok. City parks are ok too, like Suan Buak Had and the Rama 9 park off the mae rim road. Good rat & bird chasing opportunities there. :D Then there's the Huay Thueng Thao lake area.

Actually there are loads of places to take a dog, and they really love running and swimming. Most are a short drive out of town. Get a pickup-truck.

> Also last one on this topic......may sound daft......but do your

> pooches get bothered by mozzies??

Yes.

Cheers,

Chanchao

We brought a Pyrenean Mountain Dog and three cats from the UK to Thailand about seven years ago. We needed to ensure they were all fully vaccinated against Rabies, Parvovirus and various other ailments and they needed a thorough health check from a vet before we came. Talk to your vet about it, he should be able to get all the required information.

You also need to ensure the flight kennel fulfills all statutory requirements regarding size, safety etc.. Ours was supplied by a company called Air Pets, in Hounslow - they should still be around.

Book well in advance and book your pet as freight on the same flight (& connecting flight) you are travelling out on. You will save a fortune in comparison to excess baggage charges. The difference for us was over 2,000 Pounds Stg. (We made the mistake & did not book, but fast talk and a close friendship with the TG station manager worked wonders!)

Good luck & we look forward to welcoming you to Chiang Mai.

pyrenean mountain dog, that must have a big shaggy coat? Ok with the heat, or severe clipping?

No one had a problem when in forested areas etc. with snakes? seem to remember someone telling me there dog lost the sight in one eye & they were convinced it was one of our slithering friends!!

I'll print out all your advice for reference. Thanks.

Scottie

> No one had a problem when in forested areas etc. with snakes?

No, dogs with any kind of Thailand experience mostly completely lose it when they come across a snake. They bark as if they found the devil himself but stay just clear of the snake. It's even more interesting to watch if they're in a pack, like at my mother in law's farm. They basically don't stop until you go check out the scene and spade the snake in half. :o

Use galangal juice if a cobra spits venom in their eyes. (Like, chew and spit)

Cheers,

Chanchao

pyrenean mountain dog, that must have a big shaggy coat? Ok with the heat, or severe clipping?

She was always OK as long as she had a cool floor to lie on in the shade. Loved an occasional soaking with the hose. (She lived to almost 14 years, very old indeed for a Pyrie.

Regarding Spitting Cobra Venom. The Galangal juice is an old wives remedy which might cause more harm than good.

The first thing to understand is that rubbing the eyes will do a lot more harm than good. Keep hands away.

A proper first aid treatment is rinse the eyes with large quantities of water or any other harmless fluid like a cold drink, milk or even beer. Never try to neutralize the venom but rather to flush it from the eyes. Wipe any venom on the face away from the eyes. After this you need to seek medical advice, because it might be necessary for a doctor to flush the eyes with a serum solution.

The eyes should recover fully in three or four days.

Without first aid treatment or hospital treatment, the venom may cause partial blindness.

I have, at present, seven dogs. (Mostly rescue dogs.) They seem to find, on average, about one snake a month. None have ever been hurt by snakes and I have received only two bites when capturing the snakes. Those particular snakes were non venomous and I was not taking much care!

(I catch & release them, I will not allow them to be killed.)

Lastl, you need to be aware that many Thais are phobic about dogs. I have frequently been "told off" by forestry officials for allowing a dog to run without a leash. Nobody else areond and no wildlife, but they sometimes get on their high horses. Was even stopped from allowing a dog to drink from a river downstream from where some Thais were playing in the water. Was told the water would be polluted.

• 10 months later...

Hi

I've read the above replys regarding importation of dogs to Thailand and have a quick question or 2:

Is it basically the same process etc with dogs coming from Australia as from U.K and

We are looking to move to Phuket/Patong Beach area and wondered if that area was dog friendly as well as C.M?

Any advice would be appreciated.

M

Hi

I've read the above replys regarding importation of dogs to Thailand and have a quick question or 2:

Is it basically the same process etc with dogs coming from Australia as from U.K and

We are looking to move to Phuket/Patong Beach area and wondered if that area was dog friendly as well as C.M?

I believe the rules are fairly ubiversal, so Australia would not be different from the UK.

Phuket is little different from CM in dog friendliness.

Is there a German shepherd breeder in the north by any chance?

I have seen Shepherd puppies advertised up here. But I have no details.

I am about to start a thread discussing dog breeding in Thailand in the General section. You might like to have a look and possibly contribute to it there.