Farang Salaries In Los

Farang Salaries in LOS  

439 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For jayjayjayjay

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1959036

I know that those getting paid offshore will now have less (12%?) Thai Baht now that the exchange rates have changed but base the conversion on current rates. Add in any cash benefits that you receive such as housing allowances, transport etc.

The Poll's anonymous so you can be honest, no need to boast or be ashamed as nobody cares anyway.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, it is still early in the poll, so I changed it to categories going as high as "More than 2,000K per month" which is over 2 million baht per month. It would be too much trouble to go back and re-poll the 4 people out of 24 so far, who simply said they earned more than 500k per month.

My salary is whatever is left after I pay the bills, and how often the wife has been putting her fingers in the till. :D

Ranges from negative figures some months of the year to 7 digits occasionally during sales season.

Soundman. :o

ok, I voted. can I ask what is the meaning of this poll please?

I thought that would be self-explanatory, its a poll !!!!

oh arnt you the smart one, I know its a poll! :o

but what are we going to get out of it?

ok, I voted. can I ask what is the meaning of this poll please?

I thought that would be self-explanatory, its a poll !!!!

oh arnt you the smart one, I know its a poll! :o

but what are we going to get out of it?

Nirvana

It would be more accurate if the poll was based on 1, Nationality and 2 Monthly salary per month in THB as an employee of a Thai company,3 As a self employed individual in legitimate employment 4 Amount of income tax paid per year in THB.

There are many who earn much more than 500k. I know quite a few guys whose housing is already 200k up. You should add a few more steps to the poll's ladder.

But is their housing allowance paid cash in hand (or bank) or the cost of the accommodation provided by the company?

It would be more accurate if the poll was based on 1, Nationality and 2 Monthly salary per month in THB as an employee of a Thai company,3 As a self employed individual in legitimate employment 4 Amount of income tax paid per year in THB.

That would be a bit complicated to set up and cross reference the results. Also the amount of tax paid bears no relation to the amount of salary paid if a company is underdeclaring the salary to reduce their tax bill.

There are many who earn much more than 500k. I know quite a few guys whose housing is already 200k up. You should add a few more steps to the poll's ladder.

But is their housing allowance paid cash in hand (or bank) or the cost of the accommodation provided by the company?

yeah...let's talk about salary only without the expatriate package; then divide by 1.3 an' you can get what the salary would be worth back at home in the 'west'. Me, when I blab about my huge salary I always leave out the package then say '...an' that's tax free, without housing, airfares, local car hire, etc...' (thumbs thru the braces with large cigar and mocking grin/sneer... :o )

Plenty of jobs in that category grtaylor. Most would be short-term (2-3 year) secondments heading up Thai operations on international company, for example. Expat consultant engineers. Regional heads of international companies etc etc.

Typically there are 3 scenarios:

1. company pays rent according to the rental agreement directly to landlord

2. allowance is paid in cash, employee spends "up to him/her"

3. a combination of 1 and 2: employee agrees inflated rent with landlord, company pays inflated rent to landlord, landlord sents part back to employee OR company pays inflated rent to employee, employee pays "real" rent

I earn a Divemasters salary ... Which is not very good at all ... I dream of earning some of the money I've just seen on that poll and living in LOS ... I am now looking for a job which can give me the security of a good salary ... Any suggestions anyone? 24 years, smart, creative and hard working... :o

I earn a Divemasters salary ... Which is not very good at all ... I dream of earning some of the money I've just seen on that poll and living in LOS ... I am now looking for a job which can give me the security of a good salary ... Any suggestions anyone? 24 years, smart, creative and hard working... :o

Best advice I can give you with your diving background is go and do your commerical diving ticket...pref Saturation diving....rates for commerical divers in the O&G game are going through the roof at the moment..most likely will not be working on LOS, but live here during your time off....

I earn a Divemasters salary ... Which is not very good at all ... I dream of earning some of the money I've just seen on that poll and living in LOS

You are not the only one dreaming :o

Are all you O&G workers in upstream? I work in Downstream as a management consultant for one of the super majors right now on a graduate program. Would love to relocate to LOS in future but not sure if possible.

Can one of you that has been in the O&G field for more tha 30 years explain what the mood was like during the last oil boom and bust, and if there are any similatities or differences this time? Aside from the Peak Oil rhetoric that is.

Edited by lannarebirth

Can one of you that has been in the O&G field for more tha 30 years explain what the mood was like during the last oil boom and bust, and if there are any similatities or differences this time? Aside from the Peak Oil rhetoric that is.

Same question applies to all you "civilian contractors" out there, who involve yourself in the business of war for profit. You see that "industry" holding up for the forseeable future?

This oil boom is different to all the other previous oil booms. That is why this one is going to last longer than the rest.

Al the others were driven by worries about supply. Oil embargo by OPEC, disruptions because of politics in oil producing countries etc.

This boom is driven by demand. Mainly by China and India who are industrializing at an unprecedented rate. All the oil producing countries are pumping oil like crazy, but, it is still not meeting demand.

The days of cheap oil are well and truly over.

Are all you O&G workers in upstream? I work in Downstream as a management consultant for one of the super majors right now on a graduate program. Would love to relocate to LOS in future but not sure if possible.

Downstream is booming in Thailand right now, but graduates are not usually given international assignments. Also most downstream in being done by PTT, only one major is building anything in Thailand right now, so most assignments are with E&C companies.

Work hard and put on your annual review each time that you want to work on international assignment, Do not say Thailand specifically, at worst you will end up in the Middle East or Africa with a R&R every 3/4 months that you can take in Thailand. Getting a Thailand assignment is a matter of luck and timing. :o

TH

yeah...let's talk about salary only without the expatriate package; then divide by 1.3 an' you can get what the salary would be worth back at home in the 'west'. Me, when I blab about my huge salary I always leave out the package then say '...an' that's tax free, without housing, airfares, local car hire, etc...' (thumbs thru the braces with large cigar and mocking grin/sneer... :o )

The difference is if the company provides the extras you don't get any extra benefit. But if the company gives you cash in hand you can choose how much you spend and pocket the difference therefore gaining extra 'salary'.

For example if your company ives you 200k a month housing allowance and you rent a place for 10k the rest is in your pocket.

Downstream is booming in Thailand right now, but graduates are not usually given international assignments. Also most downstream in being done by PTT, only one major is building anything in Thailand right now, so most assignments are with E&C companies.

Work hard and put on your annual review each time that you want to work on international assignment, Do not say Thailand specifically, at worst you will end up in the Middle East or Africa with a R&R every 3/4 months that you can take in Thailand. Getting a Thailand assignment is a matter of luck and timing. :o

TH

PTT is not the only major building things in Thailand, the other major player in the Gulf of Thailand is on a major construction run as well, and stand to be corrected but they are investing a lot more money in Thailand than PTT over the next few years..