Farang Salaries In Los

Farang Salaries in LOS  

439 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why is everyone talking about the O&G industry? Is this because the majority of expats are in this business? What about high tech mfg industry? Surely there are some out there in my line of business that have good expat packages. I would be more interested in hearing about them as I like working with my head and keeping my hands clean rather than being surrounded by water 24/7 and worrying about getting maimed or killed.....

It appears there are quite a few people posting here who do work in the O&G industry, hence the discussions....also completely off base with your last sentence, with the exception of being surrounded by water 24/7 if working offshore O&G....but the beauty of being surrounded by water 24/7 is after 28 days....you go home for 28 days with a big wad of cash in your pocket, far better than a 9 to 5 - Monday to Friday any day.....

But I thought the topic of discussion was about paycheck $$$$ and not the O&G industry or did I get lost somewhere?

Actually for my 9-5 job I get one week off paid every month (paid) along with my normal sick time, holidays, and 4 weeks a year vacation...

.....and yet the funny thing is I get to go home every night...ALIVE!!!! :D

Mate... Everyone to their own.....your happy with what you get.....I am happy having 6 months a year off....

The discussion is about paycheck $$$..but it seems a lot of contributers went silent... when guys started talking about the money in the O&G game....of course all contributions are welcome.....I am sure the O&G guys on this forum would love to hear what some of the farang peasants living/working in Thailand are earning.... :D (Only joking)

...ALIVE!!!!...Strange comment to make for someone living in Thailand...considering the standard of driving on the roads and apparent Pattaya "Suicides" etc....yeah feel a lot safer on the beach...!!! :o ...rather take my chances offshore at least have a chance of controlling my own demise....

I totally agree with you Tomkagai, ‘for each his own’.

Since this thread has seemingly gotten off to the topic of the O&G industry, and I know very little about it, please enlighten me to some of the benefits besides the ‘wad of cash’ and time off.

Because for my measly, pitiful, and low class 9-5 job all I have is:

1) The ability to have a pet

2) The entertainment of taking in a major motion picture at a theater

3) Partaking in 9 or 18 holes of golf after work or on the weekends

4) Seeing my 2 yr old daughter every night

5) Having an evening or weekend BBQ while having friends over

6) Going out to the local pub for a cold microbrew and playing some darts or billiards

7) Sleeping nightly with my wife in a King sized bed

8) Enjoying a weekend of snow-skiing (when I lived in the USA, of course)

9) Seeing an NBA, NFL, or MLB game – at the event (again when I lived in the USA)

10) Making a ‘medium wad of $$$’

11) Too many more to list

So, I would agree if one was single, wanting just to make money, and live in an isolated environment for half his life, the O&G industry sounds great. But please since I have very little knowledge, other than what I have read online: http://www.ilo.org/public/english/protection/safework/stress/oilgasw.htm

I have no idea of the benefits you reap. Please enlighten me so that I will not always be so ignorant.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone talking about the O&G industry? Is this because the majority of expats are in this business? What about high tech mfg industry? Surely there are some out there in my line of business that have good expat packages. I would be more interested in hearing about them as I like working with my head and keeping my hands clean rather than being surrounded by water 24/7 and worrying about getting maimed or killed.....

It appears there are quite a few people posting here who do work in the O&G industry, hence the discussions....also completely off base with your last sentence, with the exception of being surrounded by water 24/7 if working offshore O&G....but the beauty of being surrounded by water 24/7 is after 28 days....you go home for 28 days with a big wad of cash in your pocket, far better than a 9 to 5 - Monday to Friday any day.....

But I thought the topic of discussion was about paycheck $$$$ and not the O&G industry or did I get lost somewhere?

Actually for my 9-5 job I get one week off paid every month (paid) along with my normal sick time, holidays, and 4 weeks a year vacation...

.....and yet the funny thing is I get to go home every night...ALIVE!!!! :D

Mate... Everyone to their own.....your happy with what you get.....I am happy having 6 months a year off....

The discussion is about paycheck $$$..but it seems a lot of contributers went silent... when guys started talking about the money in the O&G game....of course all contributions are welcome.....I am sure the O&G guys on this forum would love to hear what some of the farang peasants living/working in Thailand are earning.... :D (Only joking)

...ALIVE!!!!...Strange comment to make for someone living in Thailand...considering the standard of driving on the roads and apparent Pattaya "Suicides" etc....yeah feel a lot safer on the beach...!!! :o ...rather take my chances offshore at least have a chance of controlling my own demise....

I totally agree with you Tomkagai, 'for each his own'.

Since this thread has seemingly gotten off to the topic of the O&G industry, and I know very little about it, please enlighten me to some of the benefits besides the 'wad of cash' and time off.

1) The ability to have a pet

2) The entertainment of taking in a major motion picture at a theater

3) Partaking in 9 or 18 holes of golf after work or on the weekends

5) Having an evening or weekend BBQ while having friends over

6) Going out to the local pub for a cold microbrew and playing some darts or billiards

7) Sleeping nightly with my wife in a King sized bed

8) Enjoying a weekend of snow-skiing (when I lived in the USA, of course)

9) Seeing an NBA, NFL, or MLB game – at the event (again when I lived in the USA)

10) Making a 'medium wad of $$$'

11) Too many more to list

So, I would agree if one was single, wanting just to make money, and live in an isolated environment for half his life, the O&G industry sounds great. But please since I have very little knowledge, other than what I have read online: http://www.ilo.org/public/english/protection/safework/stress/oilgasw.htm

I have no idea of the benefits you reap. Please enlighten me so that I will not always be so ignorant.

Not wishing to get further off topic by commenting on each of your points, I will say this....I get to do similar things you have mentioned by virtue of being on holiday for 6 months of the year buts its about quality of time not quantity of time that matters..

At the end of 28 days....I get to walk way from the job and switch off completely....

Just as you have to structure your life around working a Mon-Fri 9-5, offshore guys structure their lives around the 28 off....you have a couple of valid points, being away from family is something that has to be dealt with but the biggest issue is lack of beer for 28 days at a time.......Pets No...they just sh*t everywhere and are dirty and smelly...

As regards your link....yes some valid points, but certainly written by two academics sitting behind a desk..I am sure have never been offshore for any length of time and a lot of the comments/conclusions could be applied to many other shorebased jobs...ie police forces, military etc who work under stress, and sorry to say are not being paid the money they should be getting..

It has been proved statisically you are at greater risk of being hurt/injured at home than you are working offshore

At the end of the day working offshore is not for eveyone, it takes a certain personality trait to do it, granted there are some sacrifices you have to make, but in making these sacrifices you are compensated very well and get plenty of time off to persue the things you enjoy doing....

Since this thread has seemingly gotten off to the topic of the O&G industry, and I know very little about it, please enlighten me to some of the benefits besides the 'wad of cash' and time off.

Worth much more than a wad of cash in my opinion.

Important to remember that not all "O&G" work is offshore. Many more people are in the business and enjoy all the points mentioned. For some, pay is comparable to the offshore guys and unless you are working on a operating platform, as opposed to a lay/heavy lift barge or drilling rig, tends to much more long term, most major projects are at least 2-3 years in duration.

TH

Blimey you guys are stirring it up for me. Back in 1977 when i was 18 i was briefly involved in the O & G business on the West coast of Lancashire, UK. (On shore with occasional offshore forays). How the he_ll i wish I'd stayed in that business!!! Never really been happy with what i've done since & the time on/off would have suited me ideally if i'd gotten into offshore work.

In those days the rig lads were on 2 weeks about shifts. I knew every job title on the rig & used to oversee the weekly crew changed.

I was also helicopter safety officer.............nobody had even showed me how to pull the safety pin out of an extinguisher!

Used to climb up the side of a running (BIG HOT exhausts) chopper to hand the pilot (Hello Jerry) the manifest.

Blimey you guys are stirring it up for me. Back in 1977 when i was 18 i was briefly involved in the O & G business on the West coast of Lancashire, UK. (On shore with occasional offshore forays). How the he_ll i wish I'd stayed in that business!!! Never really been happy with what i've done since & the time on/off would have suited me ideally if i'd gotten into offshore work.

In those days the rig lads were on 2 weeks about shifts. I knew every job title on the rig & used to oversee the weekly crew changed.

I was also helicopter safety officer.............nobody had even showed me how to pull the safety pin out of an extinguisher!

Used to climb up the side of a running (BIG HOT exhausts) chopper to hand the pilot (Hello Jerry) the manifest.

LOL....those were the days...everything done on a wing and prayer.... :o

Changed a lot for the better since then.....

• 3 years later...
Can one of you that has been in the O&G field for more tha 30 years explain what the mood was like during the last oil boom and bust, and if there are any similatities or differences this time? Aside from the Peak Oil rhetoric that is.

This oil boom is different to all the other previous oil booms. That is why this one is going to last longer than the rest.

Al the others were driven by worries about supply. Oil embargo by OPEC, disruptions because of politics in oil producing countries etc.

This boom is driven by demand. Mainly by China and India who are industrializing at an unprecedented rate. All the oil producing countries are pumping oil like crazy, but, it is still not meeting demand.

The days of cheap oil are well and truly over.

Wise words 4 years ago Sir Burr and still true today.