Who Gets To Keep The Work Permit?

Tried several different search strings, but cannot (re)locate any information on this.

My employer is starting to become adamant that THEY keep my work permit, for "safekeeping" and for "my convenience".

Seems to me that it is mine and is my responsibility. I.e., they "lose" it, I pay. I quit, delay in getting it back to labor, I pay, I need it for something (banking/phone/car/licensecredit/etc.), pain in the neck for me to have to borrow my wp back from them.

Anybody got the skinny or some experience in this?

TIA

Btw, been posting here off and on about 2 years, but can't seem to loginh under old similar handle anymore sad.gif

Tried several different search strings, but cannot (re)locate any information on this.

My employer is starting to become adamant that THEY keep my work permit, for "safekeeping" and for "my convenience".

Seems to me that it is mine and is my responsibility. I.e., they "lose" it, I pay. I quit, delay in getting it back to labor, I pay, I need it for something (banking/phone/car/licensecredit/etc.), pain in the neck for me to have to borrow my wp back from them.

Anybody got the skinny or some experience in this?

TIA

Btw, been posting here off and on about 2 years, but can't seem to loginh under old similar handle anymore sad.gif

You or your employer has to be able to show your original WP at your place of work at any time while you are at work. Your employer may worry that you could forget to carry the WP with you when you come to work.

The original WP is hardly ever needed for anything. Just get a few signed copies from your employer.

At renewal time make sure he takes care of it or hands you the original in time.

opalhort

Read the back page of the work permit:

1. A permit holder must keep the permit with him or at the place of work during working hours in order that it may be readily shown to the competent official or the Registrar. Any violiation thereof shall be liable to a fine not exceeding one thousand Baht.

^ I doesn't mention your employer hanging on to it (and I'd advise them against doing so), so I'd say get it off them and you 'take care of it' at work.

And in response to Opalhort's comment about renewal time, that's the only time my employer generally needs it (I do the Visa extension at Imm, but they do the Labor Dept stuff), the rest of the time it's probably safer (for you) to hang on to it....IMO!

Edited by kenkannif

Hi Peabody,

My employer paid for my work permit. They made some copies of the permit, and asked me to sign them, but the original permit has always been regarded mine and stays in my possession. I keep it at work and never take it anywhere, with the exception of visits to immigration and the labour department. Incidentally, renewing my visa and workpermit on my own was entirely hassle free. All my employer wanted was the receipts (to reimburse me) and photocopies of the updated pages.

I guess it would be just fine leaving your work permit with your employer, unless you ever fell out with them. It could be difficult if you wanted to make a quick exit and take the WP with you. :o

Only twice have I needed to use my WP outside of work. The first was to open a bank account, and the second was to obtain a Thai driving licence (I used it as proof of my address). If they won't let you have your WP for these purposes, well that sucks. :D

Edited by brianbrain