Typhoon Warning For Thailand - Storm Muifa

george

Thais warned to be prepared for cold weather and typhoon Muifa

Likely to have a severe impact on Thai weather conditions

Typhoon Muifa might hit Koh Samui

BANGKOK: -- Thai farmers suffering from some of the worst drought conditions in two decades were today warned by the Meteorological Department to prepare for severe cold weather and the impact of Typhoon Muifa.

While the country's northern region is witnessing cold weather and strong wind due to high pressure coming over from China, the Gulf of Thailand is seeing giant waves of up to three metres in height.

At the same time, Typhoon Muifa, which has caused devastation in the Philippines, is now making its way of Vietnam, and is likely to have a severe impact on Thai weather conditions.

In a warning published today, the Meteorological Department urged small fishing boats in the Gulf of Thailand to remain on land.

The Royal Irrigation Department, meanwhile, called on farmers in the lower northeastern, eastern and southern regions to rush to bring in their harvested crops and to pay close attention to future weather reports.

--TNA 2004-11-22

asiasat_440x297.jpg

Source: Weather.com

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear residents,

It is time to check this tropical storm MUIFA. You can track it with Tropcial Storm Risk.

At this moment it is projected that it wil go right over Samui in 72 hours.

Hopefully it will stay a Tropical Storm and not gain stengt and change into a categorie 4 like when it hit the Philipines.

Be prepared!

I live very close to the beach, there are waves 3 meters high where the storm is now. Don't know how high when they reach Samui, but 1 meter is already enough to be flooded.

I plan to track this storm and when it not changes course soon , i will fly to Bangkok before it is here. Why take the risk!

Make your decision fast.

Projected course of the storm is right over Samui and Surat Thani.

Hope this storm will loose strenght before it hits.

www.tropicalstormrisk.com has a map with the projected path, updated frequently.

Warn everybody you know, better safe than sorry.

W.png

200429W_5.png

As you can see the line goes strait over Samui. The color green is the estimated strength. (63-118 Km.h windspeed)

Edit reason:

Map added

/admin

Edited by Khun Jean

Khun Jean,

thank you.

I am in Holland now but have informed some of my friends in Samui, as well as Chiang Mai.

Scaring thing. :o

Did it ever happen before in the Gulf and on Samui?

LaoPo

:o:D

The last few weeks had perfect windsurfing conditions. And hopefully after this storm is over it will be again.

Actually i am a very careful person what weather condition concern.

I was once surfing in the south of france when the weather changed in a few minutes. Made it back to the coast barely alive. Broken mast, sail torn to pieces. Fortunately i could hold onto my board and the wind was in the general direction of the coast.

I experienced the power of nature that day, and it was only a little storm. This one is much stronger. This time i will not be caught in it!!

:o hi guys,

do not panic this is not as bad as it looks depending if you are in flooding areas or not.

I personally witnessed hurricane Kenna (K2 with waves up to 15 mtr high waves destroying complete brick houses at the beach or waterfront) when it hit Puerto Vallarta Mexico 2 years ago, that is were i am right now. This afternoon i leave for long trip to Kho Chang.

Think about the most dangerous issues which are tidal surge: this is the most destructive and dangerous part of a hurricane or typhoon. Wind damage is another part and stay covered if you have to ride it out coz flying debree is the worst part of a storm for injuries. Try not to be a hero you will never see projectiles coming at you at lightning speed.

regards and take care all of you

Roy

Hmmmmm, this is nothing compared to Hurricanes. I will be munching some Kit Kats while this thing breezes on right by me. Tsk Tsk.

Cold?????? Ahhhhhhhh, bring it on down mother nature. Thai land of smiles awaits your refreshing Ice cold brew of Hammmms. We need some cool weather here to help us a bit from these huge electric bills.

Daveyo

DaveYo,

Do you want to take care of my house while i am away.

I am sure you are brave, but i choose to be alive after this.

With a family to take care of you think differently, especially if you have 2 small children to take care of. I will be as far away from this as possible. Last report says it is weakening because it approaches land (Vietnam) but is suspected to gain strength when over water. Samui is not much of land so i fear it will be strong when it arrives.

Don't choke on your Kit Kats, while i go out and warn my neigbours and help them to be ready for this.

Hate to be mocking of what could become a tragedy, but ........

Is it a racially genetic thing that Thai's consider 3-metre to be "giant" ?

3 metre waves are standard fare in the English Channel (be quiet you Frenchies) and the North Sea from late August to early May. In fact, that half of my family operating fishing trawlers from north-eastern ports, would consider 3-metre to be a flat calm over Dogger Bank in early spring and late autumn. :o

As for the wind speeds .... 110 kph = approx 68.75mph and unarguably both gusty and stronger than anything normal in this region .... thankfully I'm up in Chiangmai ..... where we celebrate when we get anything stronger than a 2kph breeze from the "phad lom" in the corner of the room.

Who's running the sweepstake for snow on Christmas day then? :D

3 meters in open sea is nothing.

The problem with 3 meter high is that these waters are comparitively shallow.

When it reaches the coast all this water is pushed up and then 3 meters is very high. The roof of my house is about 3 meters.

The wind is not what freightens me, it is the water that can make the most damage. No dunes, dykes or whatever to protect us from the waves.

In the Netherlands i have a house at the beach. There 3 meter waves don't scare me, they do here.

Khun Jean is quite correct. In low lying coastal areas where there is no dyke/levee protection a 3 meter

storm surge would cause considerable

flooding and damage. Living in the New Orleans area for over 20 years,Ive seen what has been done to our coastal areas in South Louisiana

by even relatively weak systems as they make landfall. If they happen to stall out(stop moving,that is)

the flooding can be devastating as torrential rains can fall over the same areas in a very short period of time.

So when is this suppose to hit Samui?

This is important as I live here!

Please let me know if you know anything!

Wednesday or Thursday according to BBC and CNN. As it looks now, It *could* be a direct hit on Koh Samui, but directions and conditions can change quick.

Radio Bangkok have the latest storm updates (at the bottom of every hour):

http://www.radiobangkok.net

More news here at the forum as we have them.

We are up northwest near Kamphaeng Phet. Anyone have an idea as to how this may affect us? We would surely welcome the rain but would need to know in advance to block our windows if the wind will reach crazy proportions. :o:D

Well, I was here for Typhoon Gay which was a direct hit on Koh Tao in 89. Not fun. thanks for the warning guys, didn't have a clue as the weather has been fabulous (and still is today, bright blue clear skies, ocean totally flat). I will get my husband to get his little fishing boat in. Will keep you posted and pray it changes course (it often does so my fingers are crossed).

No fun at all, especially not when you are outside.

Had a couple of real monsters while in Hong kong, indoor, you think you are

safe, until the windows blow out, despite of plywood covering.

21st floor shaking rhythmically back and forth, the pictures on the wall as well.

In the harbour a huge container vessel dragged backwards, despite of two anchor chains and slammed into the ferry pier. So I heard later, as you cannot see

much except leaves flying by.

No fun, but for the thafun-parties going on all over town. :o

Good luck to all.

If you look at the maps in the beginning of this thread you can see that the green line representing the path and strength of the storm has changed a little since yesterday.

It moved a tiny bit to the north of samui, but more worrying is the change of color to yellow. That means no longer a Tropical Storm but a typhoon.

Keep watching it.

The top map is a warning what can happen. You can see the path started with light blue, meaning a tropical depression. As it got closer to the philipines it changed to a typhoon categorie 4. Same can happen here because the storm is gong to travel over warm water all the way from ietnam to here. Warm water will strenghten the storm. It will hit thailand but still uncertain where because it is still 60-70 hours away.

I look outside my window and it is a beatiful day with a lite breeze. Perfect weather but it might be the silence before the storm.

Thai people are completely unaware of it. I saw some on the news that it will hit Surathani, but "don't worry too much because it is not a strong one".

Sounds a bit like "There is no bird flu".

Anyway the thai people i know i have warned and they are concerned and covering up there windows. Some nearby fisherman in shabby huts will be amongst the least prepared. Unfurtunately there is a small village right at the beach (Hua Thanon) which if the predictions are right will be hit very hard.

I am now in doubt if i should help them, but how to help them. There muslims so asking a temple seems to be "inappropiate".

Or am i wrong? Anybody know some numbers to call, people to speak?

Well, I'm up in the hills so should be safe enough but some of the glass in my doors is a bit loose, might tape that up soon. A few more falang accidents on mopeds coming up I would think.

Khun Jean - are you going to be OK down there close to the water?

No i don't think i am safe here close to the water.

But not wanting to worry you, are the hills safer?

Or more susceptible for wind, thunder and rain.

Valleys should be avoided i think. If a landslide occurs that is not the place to be.

Same where i am it is right at the beach. Furtunately no big mountains behing me, so a landslide will be unlikely. The water from the sea worries me.

It is a bit hard to find good information about the better places to be when a typhoon hits. Most suggest to evacuate or sit it out in a center room of your house. If it is strong enough of course.

I will be leaving the island tonight, if there are still tickets available and do a surprise visit to my parents in law in Bangkok.

I have 2 small children which makes me decide to not wait for this, even a 10% risk is enough for me to avoid it. If i did not have vhildren i would sit it out somewhere on higher grounds.

Well i did my part trying to warn peple, also here locally, but taking it a little step further and warn some "officials" i have to leave that to my wife as i not speak thai enough. As she is Thai she also has this "oh it will be ok" attitude so it will not be easy to get her doing that.

This feeling of her is because i read it on the "internet" and she sees it on "tv". We both prefer our news sources and i feel mine is better, as the news on tv just mention it like it is a thing not to worry about.