Definition Of A "troll" ?

Steve2UK

I've seen "trolls" identified a few times since I've been hanging out on here the last few weeks and I sort of know what you mean - but I'd appreciate a good definition from the really experienced members on here.

Who are trolls? Why are they?

Troll:

A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.

You would indeed know a troll when you saw one, but modern means of communication render tried and tested methods of visual identification ineffective.

In this day and age one needs to apply other cognitive processes for troll spotting and terminating, thus internet scientists developed the following definition:

On the internet, troll is a slang term used to describe:

1. A post (on a newsgroup, or other forum) that is solely intended to incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offense. (Many posts may inadvertently cause strife as collateral damage, but they are not trolls.)

2. A person who posts these.

:o:D

Troll:

A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.

You would indeed know a troll when you saw one, but modern means of communication render tried and tested methods of visual identification ineffective.

In this day and age one needs to apply other cognitive processes for troll spotting and terminating, thus internet scientists developed the following definition:

On the internet, troll is a slang term used to describe:

1. A post (on a newsgroup, or other forum) that is solely intended to incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offense. (Many posts may inadvertently cause strife as collateral damage, but they are not trolls.)

2. A person who posts these.

:o:D

Much appreciated!

[and I hope that calling yourself "stroll" doesn't trigger any cases of mistaken identities! :D ]

Just reading the ads at the top of the page George. Do we have this much of a surplus?

The Latest troll models by Thomas Dam, Low Prices, Personal Service!

Troll

Troll for sale. aff Check out the deals now!

cv

Sometimes a Troll is necessary to drag members from their lethargy. A kick start, so to speak. Works, don't it?

"drag" members...what are you saying here? i'm into ladyboys, not drag :o youre right about the kickstart. some forums were rather dull until harry boy came along. ive realized after being kicked off every forum from south hampton to littlerock arkansas i had a problem. i joined ta or trolls anonymous.

1. ive admitted im powerless over trolling and me life has been unmanageable.

2. ive come to believe that a moderator greater than myself can restore me sanity.

3. ive made a decision to turn my hacking skills and isp over to the care of a moderator as i understand him.

i'm still working the rest of the steps. one day at a time, harry. one day at a time.

the old harry was considered a troll. been kicked off nearly every forum! now the new harry is not a troll and thats a promise. in case any of you are wondering the s stands for sensible. yes, harry sensible palmer.

I don't believe for one minute that you're the old Harry. :o