Opera Browser Now Free

manx_bkk

Just downloaded and am using it now. Thanks manx. Pretty quick. One small problem, though. How do you install the Flash plug-in? I downloaded it, clicked on the installer, but it didn't install in the Opera folder.

Edited by melus

They plan to make money by agreements with search provider (Google) and such, rather than direct sale of advertising as they previously did. This will require more users to be effective so that is the reason for the "free" price. Suspect it is at least worth a try - so far it has been working well for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Take your pick, Firefox or Opera.  Just avoid IE.  It's Spyware/Trojan/Virus city.

I support freewares and opensource, I'm not against Firefox or Opera. But if one knew how to install updated antivirus and to handle (not clicking) those irritating spyware ActiveX/script, one could have no problem using IE without being paranoid.

I was a long time user of Netscape (up to v4.72). Just for the sake of standard (most sites are designed for IE-compliant) I use IE with no problem. I install only updated antivirus and never antispyware or other wares because I know how to handle with those malicious things.

Still afraid? Just disable the ActiveX/script handling in IE settings, then IE can be as secure and more or less the same as Firefox/Opera.

I prefer Firefox, but they are very close. I think Opera is a bit faster, while I think firefox is a bit more comfortable.

It is just a question of taste, they are both perfect :-)

Is it better than firefox ?

I used to use Opera 2-3 years ago .. Happy with my firefox .. but is it better to switch back to Opera or is Firefox "the one" ?