Converting A Second-hand Motorcoachto An Motorhome/rv

fxm88

Hello. I've never seen an motorhome/RV (or even a caravan/trailer/airstream) in Thailand. Do they just not exist here? Do they exist anywhere in S.E. asia?

Back home I've seen buses that have been converted into really nice RVs. Thailand's got heaps of buses and there are yards full of what look like disused buses around Morchit and other places. Has anyone ever seen any for sale? Prices?

There seems to be some boat-bulding going on in Thailand and some of that equipment (sinks, beds, loos) could be used to outfit a bus. Would I need a work permit to do all this by myself?

Finally, would I need any special driver's license to drive it around? (Not chauffering people around, just the family.)

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
Anyone know any available?

Not very good idea as hotle and travel in thailand is so cheap,, i have made few of them back in Austria inside MB 708 and traveled around the europe,, but in thailand not so good idea as here you need aircon and that will cost you way more than staying in hotels.

Been stydying that same last few yrs and it's just not worth of the hassle or energy,unless one wanna buold it for cas shows.

Hello. I've never seen an motorhome/RV (or even a caravan/trailer/airstream) in Thailand. Do they just not exist here? Do they exist anywhere in S.E. asia?

Back home I've seen buses that have been converted into really nice RVs. Thailand's got heaps of buses and there are yards full of what look like disused buses around Morchit and other places. Has anyone ever seen any for sale? Prices?

There seems to be some boat-bulding going on in Thailand and some of that equipment (sinks, beds, loos) could be used to outfit a bus. Would I need a work permit to do all this by myself?

Finally, would I need any special driver's license to drive it around? (Not chauffering people around, just the family.)

Thanks!

Interesting idea......well.... OK....I've thought about it myself so it MUST be!

I was first interested when I noticed a Volvo Ambulance lying unused and though what a great RV it would make.

I've seen a couple of Aussie imports driving about...those uninitiated will argue that with cheap hotels and buses it's not necessary but I fear they miss the point.

One thing that occurs to me is that there are countless coach builders all over Thailand and materials ans especially labour are incredibly cheap......so......if you can come up with a design and a basic spec I would imagine the project would be quite easy to realise.

As for a licence..I'm afraid I never got that far.

As for their rarity, I would guess though that the reasons you don't see many would be largely economic and cultural.

I thought about doing the same with an old bus that was for sale. When I sat and thought it through it didnt compute. Accomadation is so abundant and cheap that the need to carry all that about wasnt worth it. Same with carrying around a kitchen. So many paces to eat no matter where you are. Now I much prefer to sling the saddle bags on the bike and take in all the sights and smells. Occasionally you get a bit wet but you soon dry out :o