Thailand Employment Opportunities Needed

Hi!!!

I'm goint to change China to Thailand. I'm interested in employment opportunities for expats in Thailand. I've been working and living in South China - Guangzhou about 2 years. I'm currentlyemployed within JV Carlo Pazolini - one of the top premium class footwear manufacturer and retailer. My current position is Financial Manager at the Production Department. I can speak english, russian and chinese (mandarin & canton) fluently. In addition to my professional expreience I'm self-motivated and energetic and familiar with the asian business features.

Can you advise me my employment-chances and which channels to use in job-hunting? Also what is the average salary level for the similar position in Thailand?

THX!!!

Andy,

If you mean an expat post as in full expat terms (housing allowances etc), then I'd say the chances are very low. I've personally never met anyone who was hired on a full expat package when they were already in Thailand. Most, like me, were transferred here by their employer.

Even if you're prepared to take a local package, it will still be difficult. Work permits are not given out easily and many companies just don't want the hassle of hiring foreigners. Accounting is one of the prohibited professions for foreigners, so there's an extra level of fiddling about concocting an 'official' job title to show to the Labour Dept. Not to say it can't be done. I'm the finance director of a subsidiary of a US MNC, but my work permit says something completely different .... :o

Should you be successful in landing a finance related role, the highest salaries I have seen tend to be Bt 150 - 200k a month. They are usually head of finance roles for foreign owned companies along the Eastern Seaboard. Most finance roles are much lower, usually less than Bt 100k per month. Think about that for a moment ... we're talking US$3k - 5k a month at the absolute best.

On the positive side, your Asian language skills / work experience may be attractive to a manufacturing company looking to export to China. Again, many of these tend to be located on the Eastern Seaboard.

My advice would be to come to Bangkok, send out your CV to search firms (google them), then maybe go down to Chonburi / Pattaya / Rayong and look there. Try networking with locally based foreigners ... lots of legwork will be required.

Personally, I suggest you think very carefully before moving from Guangzhou to Thailand in search of economic opportunity. I've been trying to go the other way for some time but my lack of Chinese language skills is a barrier!

The above are just my opinions. I wish you well in your search.

CC

Thanks for your reply.

I don't mean full expat package - for now,my current company provide me with housing allowance only and we're still debating on medical insuarance. :o

Why accounting is prohibited,can you explain? Nowdays I'm obtaining ACCA qualification - I think it can be a big plus! As for the work permits - I think it's not more problematic than in Communist China. I get residence and work permit in China without any problems - just provide all the necessary document package - that's all!!

I want to find work through the net,as I don't have opportunity to go to Thailand right now.

Edited by AndyGZ

Have you considered 'English teacher'? It seems perfect given your expertise.

Sounds rather strange!!! You consider it's to be the best career path?! :o

Switch word 'best' for 'only'

There are no jobs here in Thailand for people with a professional vocation. Well, maybe one in a million chance (before billionaire Bendix comes steaming in, lighting his cigar with fifty pound notes).

Forget jobs ads in the Bangkok Post - they're all a sham.

If you want to be in this circus show, be prepared to leave the workadaddy world behind.

...or start your own business.

I've been working and living in South China - Guangzhou about 2 years. I'm currentlyemployed within JV Carlo Pazolini - one of the top premium class footwear manufacturer and retailer.

Privjet! :o

Your experience in Guangzhou sounds very interesting, i'm evaluating to find a job opportunity in China next year, can you tell more about your actual life abroad?

Why are you evaluating to leave your actual job if you have a good position?

Have you found it online from your living country or directly in China?

Next month i will start taking chinese (mandarin) lessons and i will be glad to share ideas and experiences.

About jobs and careers in Thailand you can evaluate offers on www.jobsdb.com

Edited by bolognamare

very few Russians around in BKK , could not even give a hint of where you could look .

Have tried myself with various headhunters , but never got even a offer.

As said Positions in Accounting are closed for foreigners , they got plenty themselves , many educated in western countries.

Any contacts you have here?

Many jobs are offered by introduction .

Otherwise the teacher idea is not bad , native russian speaker and fluent in english and chinese.

Sounds rather strange!!! You consider it's to be the best career path?! :o

There are no jobs here in Thailand for people with a professional vocation. Well, maybe one in a million chance (before billionaire Bendix comes steaming in, lighting his cigar with fifty pound notes).

If you want to be in this circus show, be prepared to leave the workadaddy world behind.

What is it about this forum? So many negative people. This guy comes on with great qualificatons and a great attitude and he's totally shot down.

I've been working and living in South China - Guangzhou about 2 years. I'm currentlyemployed within JV Carlo Pazolini - one of the top premium class footwear manufacturer and retailer.

Privjet! :o

Your experience in Guangzhou sounds very interesting, i'm evaluating to find a job opportunity in China next year, can you tell more about your actual life abroad?

Why are you evaluating to leave your actual job if you have a good position?

Have you found it online from your living country or directly in China?

Next month i will start taking chinese (mandarin) lessons and i will be glad to share ideas and experiences.

About jobs and careers in Thailand you can evaluate offers on www.jobsdb.com

Ni hao!!!

The main reason for me to leave China is that I don't like life here at all. Moreover, I hate it. Of course I joined the company and a legal man here,but....chinese people vs thai - are so rude, not polite,also lots of restrictions and stupid regulations evereywhere. Still, foreigners here are considered like a "monkey at the zoo"... Oh,man I can speak about it for hours!!!

As for my job, I picked it while I studied chinese here. My major in my home university was International accounting & it helped to get a position here. By the way what is your specialization? I can suggest you some ideas!

As for jobsdb.com - I've got it before. I need more Thai-focused links.Anyway,thank you.

I can suggest you some ideas!

I'm a sales manager, i speak italian (native), english and a bit of russian. I'm thinking to learn chinese and send my CV to western firms in China to evaluate offers, do you think it's possible to find a good job opportunity around 25.000 euro/year?

About Thailand i think it's very hard to find a well paid job, i stopped thinking to this country as a possible working place, it's better to find a job around Thailand and spend vacations there.

A good idea for you could be to find a Chinese firm with a secondary office in Bangkok.

A friend of mine (canadian engineer) go often there for its chinese employer.

Edited by bolognamare

Why do you think that it is any different here? As job opportunities go, it might be more difficult to get a job here than in China. By the way, there is also a forum of russians in Thailand at ivan-susanin.com, but I do not think that they will be able to suggest any better. There are plenty of foreigners around here looking for jobs, but very few actually find them. The most common positions offered are indeed for teachers. There are many jobs prohibited to foreigners, as government is saving those positions for thais, and accounting is among those.

....lots of restrictions and stupid regulations evereywhere. Still, foreigners here are considered like a "monkey at the zoo"... Oh,man I can speak about it for hours!!!

Sounds rather strange!!! You consider it's to be the best career path?! :D

what a lot of dribble :o

I'm a sales manager, i speak italian (native), english and a bit of russian. I'm thinking to learn chinese and send my CV to western firms in China to evaluate offers, do you think it's possible to find a good job opportunity around 25.000 euro/year?

About Thailand i think it's very hard to find a well paid job, i stopped thinking to this country as a possible working place, it's better to find a job around Thailand and spend vacations there.

A good idea for you could be to find a Chinese firm with a secondary office in Bangkok.

A friend of mine (canadian engineer) go often there for its chinese employer.

Hey.buddy!!!Scan the following sites for the chinese employment opportunities:

www.51job.com

www.zhaopin.com

www.chinajob.com

www.thatsmagazines.com

As for the salary - usually the starting offered is about 1000 - 1200 USD. In China expats salary is now one of the lowest. Sounds strange,taking into account that country's economy is the most fast growing!!! In general it depends on the size of the enterprise and type of business. Anyway don't be scared - expats salary can't be lower 500 USD - its government regulation :o

I can advise you to come to China to study language & it'll be easier to find the job on the spot!!! Note, that the most developed are Beijing,Shanghai,Guangzhou - these are the best places to look for!!!

Seconded.

There are opportunities for well-qualified people. My best friend came here six months ago, and was offered two six figure salary jobs within 2 weeks of being here. He is an accountant and was hired as a Regional CFO (although his work permit describes him as a 'consultant'). It's not an expat package, but he does very well, thank you.

He is now looking to hire a financial manager. The salary will be around 80-90k a month. Not enough to light your cigars with fifty quid notes, but you might be ok using 50 baht notes. He can't find anyone at the moment.

I, myself, am looking to hire a BD / Marketing executive in the same salary range.

And I know of another organisation, looking for a Sales / Marketing Director at the 120-150k range, plus extensive bonuses and options.

All these roles would prefer farang. The problem, frankly, is finding suitably qualified and quality farang in Bangkok that you would be comfortable putting up in front of board members.

I, myself, am looking to hire a BD / Marketing executive in the same salary range.

I thought that lollipop had already been well and truly licked !!

Oh well, som nam nar, you'll be inundated with CVs now !!

I have this unerasable mental image of Bendix, dressed as his fellow northerner Jimmy Savile, sitting there in a gold lame tracksuit in a big chair, going, "uhuhuhuhuhhuh. howzabout that then", with a big cigar, like on jim'll fix it....

Dunno why I have this bizarre imagery.

Edited by Papa_Lazarou

One hired 7 months ago, but I couldnt find anyone to fit the bill perfectly in Bangkok so I relocated the role to Kuala Lumpur. It was a regional job.

This role is purely Bangkok focused, so needs to be located here.

I HOPE i'm inundated with cvs. That's why I posted.

Anything else i can help you with Papa?

Seconded.

There are opportunities for well-qualified people. My best friend came here six months ago, and was offered two six figure salary jobs within 2 weeks of being here. He is an accountant and was hired as a Regional CFO (although his work permit describes him as a 'consultant'). It's not an expat package, but he does very well, thank you.

He is now looking to hire a financial manager. The salary will be around 80-90k a month. Not enough to light your cigars with fifty quid notes, but you might be ok using 50 baht notes. He can't find anyone at the moment.

And I know of another organisation, looking for a Sales / Marketing Director at the 120-150k range, plus extensive bonuses and options.

All these roles would prefer farang. The problem, frankly, is finding suitably qualified and quality farang in Bangkok that you would be comfortable putting up in front of board members.

How can I forward my CV and get information on the company and the role itself?

I think with your language skills your chances are much better than most. I'm not sure exactly what job you could get. But the Fluent Chinese has to be of great value to someone in LOS, of course if you could speak Thai that would be even better.