Help - Marriage Certificate

Can anyone out there help me out, I'm going next week to get a Non O marraige visa, does our UK marraige certificate need to be translated into Thai and who if anyone would need to validate it. My wife had it translated last year for her ID card which we still had a copy but when I looked the ages are wrong on it.

Did this myself last year for my O visa. Used one of the services on Wireless Rd. I think the total fee for translation and them taking care of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs certification was about Bt 1500. Only took one day. Everything then went fine in Penang getting the visa.

Best of luck!

Did this myself last year for my O visa. Used one of the services on Wireless Rd. I think the total fee for translation and them taking care of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs certification was about Bt 1500. Only took one day. Everything then went fine in Penang getting the visa.

Best of luck!

Just a quick one do you know if these places are open sundays

Sorry, no idea about Sunday. Don’t even know if they are open on Saturdays? I do remember that most seemed to closed by 6:00. If you want to make a run to Penang on Wednesday, I would not cut it so close anyway. You never know what could go wrong, or if for some reason they can’t do it as quickly now. I’d hop on BTS tomorrow morning, pick a service and get it sorted right away. Also, as many threads have noted, seems like the multi-entry option is drying up in Penang, especially for first timers. You may have better luck in KL. If it were me, and I needed more than the 90 days, I give KL a try.

Best of luck.

Sorry, no idea about Sunday. Don’t even know if they are open on Saturdays? I do remember that most seemed to closed by 6:00. If you want to make a run to Penang on Wednesday, I would not cut it so close anyway. You never know what could go wrong, or if for some reason they can’t do it as quickly now. I’d hop on BTS tomorrow morning, pick a service and get it sorted right away. Also, as many threads have noted, seems like the multi-entry option is drying up in Penang, especially for first timers. You may have better luck in KL. If it were me, and I needed more than the 90 days, I give KL a try.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the input I live in Nang Rong 5 hours from Bangkok so no BTS. I e-mailed NJ Books to see if I could still get a multi entry and they said yes. One more question may sound stupid but would I need to produce both UK and Thai marraige certificates, thing is I've got the Thai version already only thing is they added two years onto our age, wish it was on disk so I could change it.

Thanks for the help much appreciated.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the input I live in Nang Rong 5 hours from Bangkok so no BTS. I e-mailed NJ Books to see if I could still get a multi entry and they said yes. One more question may sound stupid but would I need to produce both UK and Thai marraige certificates, thing is I've got the Thai version already only thing is they added two years onto our age, wish it was on disk so I could change it.

Thanks for the help much appreciated.

I don't know if the translation is acceptable unless it's been certified. If the dates are wrong, trust that it won’t get certified—but maybe they don’t look that close? Others here certainly know far more than I about the nuances of this stuff. I’ve read a few times that just the original English can be ok in some instances, but not sure if that applies to getting the visa unless you can also show you’ve registered the marriage at the district office. We bypassed the district office and just did the MoFA certification/registration and all’s been fine.

Trust many will be glad to hear Penang is still a go for the multi-entry. Hope it’s still that way when you get there!

Sorry I can’t be of any more help.

Best of luck.

I don't know if the translation is acceptable unless it's been certified. If the dates are wrong, trust that it won’t get certified—but maybe they don’t look that close? Others here certainly know far more than I about the nuances of this stuff. I’ve read a few times that just the original English can be ok in some instances, but not sure if that applies to getting the visa unless you can also show you’ve registered the marriage at the district office. We bypassed the district office and just did the MoFA certification/registration and all’s been fine.

Trust many will be glad to hear Penang is still a go for the multi-entry. Hope it’s still that way when you get there!

Sorry I can’t be of any more help.

Best of luck.

Thats the frustrating thing it's been certified by both British Embassy and MoFA, they both missed the fact that when it was translated they put a couple of years on our age it's perfect except for that one slip up. My wife got it done last year when we moved back for her I.D. spotted the mistake and they changed it but as you 'd expect from a woman she never kept an extra copy.

Thats the frustrating thing it's been certified by both British Embassy and MoFA, they both missed the fact that when it was translated they put a couple of years on our age it's perfect except for that one slip up. My wife got it done last year when we moved back for her I.D. spotted the mistake and they changed it but as you 'd expect from a woman she never kept an extra copy.

Well, if it's already passed certification, maybe you will be ok. Certainly see the risk, but possibly they will just take a glance at it and move on with the rest of the paperwork they need to do to process the visa. All the information they need may be taken from your passport and wife's id anyway and they may not need to really scrutinize the document. But I would probably try to get it sorted in advance. However, using the system I used, the same problem could have occured. We never looked at the translation prior to them making the rounds at MoFA. We just dropped off the original for translation then picked up the certified copy the next day. All turned out fine, but had there been a mistake, the same thing could have happened--and trust probably has as your case illustrates.

Best of luck.

or]

Well, if it's already passed certification, maybe you will be ok. Certainly see the risk, but possibly they will just take a glance at it and move on with the rest of the paperwork they need to do to process the visa. All the information they need may be taken from your passport and wife's id anyway and they may not need to really scrutinize the document. But I would probably try to get it sorted in advance. However, using the system I used, the same problem could have occured. We never looked at the translation prior to them making the rounds at MoFA. We just dropped off the original for translation then picked up the certified copy the next day. All turned out fine, but had there been a mistake, the same thing could have happened--and trust probably has as your case illustrates.

Best of luck.

Hello again think I may go for a last 30 day tourist and take the extra time to sort it out, but it just goes to show how much importance they place on these things when both the British side and the Thai side didn't notice a very prominent mistake especially when you have both versions in front of you.

Been nice chatting with you have a nice day.

Not really answering your question, but I've lost count of how many times Thai's have put my age wrong on documents. They always calculate it from your date of birth to the current year - regardless of whether you’ve reached your birthday or not

Ask someone how old they are, and then ask to see their I.D card. More often than not they’re wrong :o

Good luck

geoffphuket