Cr-1 Visa To The Usa

I wasn't going to post until we got the visa *fingers crossed* but with all the rumors of a Thai crackdown on long-stay foreigners I thought it may be useful to post this information now.

So far, we're having really good progress on getting a CR-1 visa. The USCIS office in Bangkok accepted my I-130 petition and a few weeks later the embassy sent us Packet 3 (the application). We submitted the application and a few weeks later we got Packet 4 and a date for an interview next month. It's only been about a month and a half so far. (A couple years ago we had such a bad time trying to get a tourist visa that I'm really relieved/thrilled about this seeming to go so smoothly! *knocks on wood*) For those who aren't sure whether they should apply for a K3 or a K1 or whatever (I'm still somewhat confused e.g. a K3 is simply a CR-1 plus a I-129F, right?) this may be a good option, depending on your situation of course.

I've been with my girlfriend (now my wife -- we got married a week or two before we petitioned the USCIS) for about 2 and a half years; together we have a 1 year old son (who already has his Consular Report of Birth Abroad and US passport). I've been staying in Thailand on tourist visas, 30-day stamps, and extensions. I haven't been back to the States since 2003; 90% of the time since then I've been on Thai soil. I don't work, neither in or outside of Thailand, and I don't have a work permit. I do have some savings (from when I was working in the States) which my family and I have been living off of.

I'll post more complete information after we get the visa.