MTV To Stop Airing On UBC Tonight

george

MTV to stop airing on UBC tonight

BANGKOK: -- MTV Asia, a music channel currently aired on UBC Channel 32, will stop airing its programme from 11pm tonight.

A source from MTV Asia says that the programme will disappear on UBC Channel 32 from 11pm onwards and the music channel will hold a press conference tomorrow about the end of its broadcast on UBC, the country's only cable TV operator.

--The Nation 2006-10-31

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the only reason I keep UBC at my house near Korat is for MTV. My

very long time older girlfriend loves it. I'm finally ready to get a big dish

and move on. Thank You UBC, no more 1400 baht a month for a bunch of

way overpriced poor selection of stuff.

TIT

Also VH1 has gone!

Now there's no chance of any international music as all we are left with is Channel V and True Music.

Once again, SHOCKING customer service from UBC...!!!

I don't really watch either, but given the choice I'd rather lean towards VH1.

Question is now - what choice?

No worries. A few more torrent sites will easily cover the damage done to the paying customer :o

Does anyone here reckon it's a sign of the inherent xenophobia of Thailand? They seem to blame all of their problems on Western culture (MTV in particular). When it was the financial crisis it was the fault of the IMF. When it's southern unrest it's Malaysia. When it's teenagers having sex it's MTV and western movies. It's always somebody else's fault for these people. A thread the other day was about girls dancing provocatively for money in front of temples. The "culture minister" or whoever (doesn't matter) thinks that it's things like this that are the direct influence of Western culture. People back home would chase them off or the cops would come and arrest them for lewd and lascivious behaviour. I think their getting ready to go into a major isolation phase for fear of losing their old values and traditions. They realise that the population is becoming more independent-minded and are starting to slip out from under the government thumb.

Anyhow, MTV's <deleted>, but MTV Asia's worse. It's just caters to the teenage asian fads and isn't interesting to the most of us. Good riddance.

vh1 is gone too and your are not kidding? :D

it was one of my favourite tv-channel :D they have the best sound IMHO while the rest are pretty crappy :o

i'm pretty sure this was an order from "the powers that be" :D especiallyregarding as both, MTV and VH1 was quite popular...

i'm wondering whats next - a rigid chinese-style censorship for the WWW, as providers blocked already "subversive" sites :D?

I came back from a halloween party last night ( a bit mullered) and tried to put some tunes on, and I saw the info screen saying that MTV and VH1 have been taken off UBC. I thought it was a dream when I woke up this morning!!

No more lovely VJ's

:o

UBC, the country's only cable TV operator.
Thank You UBC, no more 1400 baht a month for a bunch of

way overpriced poor selection of stuff.

It's announcements like this that make me appreciate my 250 baht a month "other" cable TV operator, which incidently has 2 channels showing currently-in-the-cinema movies, more and more.

UBC.... :o

The info screen that comes up when you try to watch MTV and VH1 says something about "In response to what the UBC subscribers wish to view... "

I wonder who they asked exactly. I can't imagine that the majority of UBC subscribers would want rid of the 2 best music channels.

UBC customer service... :D:o

Edited by ashacat

Could the decision to remove MTV, VH1 et al be connected to the recent "Coyote Girls" incident? If I remember correctly the Minister for Culture? said that it was the influence of western music that had 'lead the girls astray'. It would be par for the course here in Thailand to force the removal of the "foreign" music channels in order to try to stop further "Coyote Girl" incidents.

It's announcements like this that make me appreciate my 250 baht a month "other" cable TV operator, which incidently has 2 channels showing currently-in-the-cinema movies, more and more.

UBC.... :D

Not to mention reality tv, love that cheaters show :o ( :D )

It is not worth 250 baht a month so nobody should look into it. :D

The info screen that comes up when you try to watch MTV and VH1 says something about "In response to what the UBC subscribers wish to view... "

I wonder who they asked exactly. I can't imagine that the majority of UBC subscribers would want rid of the 2 best music channels.

UBC customer service... :D:o

Exactly, the wishes of who??? They certainly didn't ask me. I wasn't a big fan of MTV but I enjoyed some of the shows on VH1.

To make matters worse, it wouldn't surprise me if UBC decide to up the monthly subscription to cover the cost of the new crap that they are providing.

VH1 r.i.p. :D

Could the decision to remove MTV, VH1 et al be connected to the recent "Coyote Girls" incident? If I remember correctly the Minister for Culture? said that it was the influence of western music that had 'lead the girls astray'. It would be par for the course here in Thailand to force the removal of the "foreign" music channels in order to try to stop further "Coyote Girl" incidents.

I haven't seen where western music is being blamed for this. I hope that this isn't the case as it would be embarrassing to Thailand if they blame inappropriate behavior at Buddhist events on MTV. Still, the fact that MTV Asia feels the need to call a press conference infers it is something other than a contract dispute.

Another knee jerk reaction?

Edited by george

I haven't seen where western music is being blamed for this. I hope that this isn't the case as it would be embarrassing to Thailand if they blame inappropriate behavior at Buddhist events on MTV. Still, the fact that MTV Asia feels the need to call a press conference infers it is something other than a contract dispute.

Another knee jerk reaction?

Ministry of Social Development and Human Security says western cultures influence dancing of “Coyote Girls”

The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security stated that the dancing show of the “Coyote Girls” was influenced form the western cultures, and it reflected family issues.

and did you guys notice the UBC screen aired on tose channel , It said Something like " added some wondeful channels like explore 1 , explore 2, explore 3, G - **** , and to ACCOMODATE FUTURE CHANNELS , Vh1 and MTV has been ______ from 1st nov, Now thats what's called making space , cutting off VH1 and keep airing some channels that i bet no one even cares to watch , e.g the UBC preview channel 10 or 11 not sure, Way to Go, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, next to make space, ESPN , Star Sports