Full Moon Party On Pha-ngan Cancelled

george

Full Moon party on Pha-ngan cancelled

Pha-ngan, Surat Thani: -- Authorities asked resort operations on this tourist destination island to cancel the famous Full Moon party for fear that the approaching Depression "Durian" would unleash heavy rains and strong winds there.

Buree Thammarak, senior Pha-ngan district assistant chief said he had sought cooperation from resort and business operators on the island to cancel the Full Moon party planned Wednesday night.

He said the operators were also instructed to warn tourists not to swim in the sea as it had turned rough because of the approaching depression, which was about 50 kilometres away from Samui Island.

Buree said he had ordered boats not to leave the shore until the storm had gone.

Decha Kangsanan, Samui district chief, said it was likely that the storm would hit Samui soon.

He said all speed boat services from the island were cancelled until the weather condition improved.

-- The Nation 2006-12-06

The full moon party is crap now anyway. all police trying to trick foreigners by selling them valium and sleepers as pills and then jail them to pay up crazy money and lady boys trying to trick drunk foreigners that they are women and rob them etc. What a disapointment compared to years ago. If you do go really stay away from drugs and drink slowly as you will see many roaming thais looking for drunks to rob.

Edited by george

Well, we never heard anything about it being cancelled from any one in authority and all our guests have gone. Rain has currently stopped and the skies are semi clear. the moon is visible.

as to the assessment of the FMP, well to each their own. Lots of people love it, lots of people hate it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just as the above posters are entitled to theirs. Just cause they dont' like it doesn't make it bad, just means it isn't their thing.

I highly doubt that the staff on the island and the speed boats simply agreed to stop trade. With the amount of tourist flocking to the Party on a single night, the local businesses would lose too much income!

A little off the topic here, but...

Some tourists are plain stupid and go to these rave's simply "to have fun" but needing drugs and alcohol to fuel their fun. Why cant they have fun without it?

When i was at the party last last year, i had 2 drinks and didnt encounter any drugs or anyone trying to sell me drugs at all. The fun, music and beach atmosphere was my fuel for fun.

If people go to these islands intending to buy drugs.. then let them get caught and jailed! They enter the country knowing the strict laws and penalties, so they should be prepared to face the consequenses if they get caught.

As for the ladyboys who prey on tourists to rob them, the tourists should be well aware of this, and not let themselves get so intoxicated to allow this to happen.