Red flag on tourist exempt and tourist visas

I got a red flag coming back from Vietnam this last time and I have only a 30 day entry. How long will it be before I can come back to Thailand? I have used both exempt entries and tourists visas for the past two years coming into Thailand. I travel in SE Asia and go to neighboring countries and come back to Bangkok. I often stay 60-90 days in Thailand and then leave for a month or two and come back,. This last time I came back on exempt entry after spending 6 weeks in Vietnam. I also go to Cambodia and spend 1-2 months at a time but overall I spend more time in BKK. 

How long do I have to wait, and what will I have to do if I come back to Bangkok? I am a photographer, but I don't work here in Thailand, but I may need to come back to get my cameras fixed from time to time. How long before I can come back here? After this episode I decided to live in Vietnam not Thailand so I don't want to get a different Thai visa. 

There is no red flagging done by immigration. Immigration will get an alert when you have 6 visa exempt entries.

I assume you were pulled to the side and questioned and were told you were flagged or something. If you were entering visa exempt you should get a tourist visa for the next trip to here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cameraman888 said:

The immigration official actually used the word "red flag" after questioning me about my entry at the airport.

There is none. Just an officer giving out incorrect info. 

Was that the officer stamping you in or were you pulled to the side and told that.

2 hours ago, cameraman888 said:

Thank you both for the input. I will feel better about coming back when I need to return. 

You mentioned you had a combination of tourist visas and visa exempts. How many visa exempt entries did you do on this passport out of interest?

5 hours ago, cameraman888 said:

The immigration official actually used the word "red flag" after questioning me about my entry at the airport. I only had one other exempt visa this year, most of the time I get a tourist visa at a thai consulate in another country. 

The immigration official was using the term "red flag" to refer to the alert they receive, based on different conditions, that indicate your entry should receive increased scrutiny to verify you are a genuine tourist, not working illegally. The most likely reason your entry was alerted was 6+ visa exempt entries since 2015. Future entries will likely also be flagged in the same way, especially if you enter visa exempt. It would be safer to use friendly land crossings from now on, but you are not excluded formally from Thailand in any way..

• Like 1

Did you show / were you asked for an onward ticket (for 30 or 60 days later) and 20,000Bt cash?

Does this have any impact on "6+ visa exempt entries since 2015"?

I tend to to the same, 30-60 days out by air, and and only want to stay 30 - 60 days at a time. So prefer not going to the Thai Consulate locations for a 90 day...

• Like 1

Like people above wrote. Nothing to much to worry about. 

We are visitors and by their own law: it’s immigrations officers that have full control. You  can have a visa and get denied .

what I have learned is not to worry to much and using an visa agent helps. (Not that you need it. It’s just convenient for me). 

A part of the fee to the agent is to help you pass, if you know what I mean. Technically the agent missed th rules and my visa had expired 1 day earlier.  The migration officer pointed it out to me. One of the agents came over.  Nothing said and I got 60 more days. 

2 years ago when I went to local migration to extend visa: they wanted 5000 to expedite it. Either do tests with me, come visit my home at least once a week or pay fee.  

Had as a year visa. Suddenly this changed it to 6 months. 

Thats how it just is and I have to accept it. Technically we can’t be tourists over 5 month and 30 days since then we should be taxed in th. That is probably the only law I’m breaking, but th do give out 6 month multi tourist visa that I use today. 6 month + 3 month for the last entry 9 month.   Yes. They give out 9 month tourist visa and 6 month is maximum. 

I was not asked for an onward ticket, but I was ready with proof if they had. This year prior to this entry I used one exempt by land and two visas, one from Cambodia and one from Vietnam. My entry this time I was only planning on staying 60 days max. and I didn't want to pay a visa fee. I was going to in Hanoi, but I was warned there might be a problem by the visa agent. I think it was because this was the second time in a row getting a visa from the same Thai consulate and getting it meant I would have spent more then 6 months in Thailand during 2017. I decided to stay in Vietnam longer then 30 days but I ended up breaking a bone in my foot and Bangkok hospitals are so much better then Vietnam hospital. Hence, I came back a little earlier then I intended and they gave me grief for coming back. I was in a wheel chair too because of the long walk through the terminal. 

On 9/3/2017 at 4:05 PM, theswedishguy said:

Technically we can’t be tourists over 5 month and 30 days since then we should be taxed in th.

If you spend over 180 days in Thailand during the year, you are resident for tax purposes. That does not mean you necessarily owe any tax or cannot still be a tourist. The rules for those resident for tax purposes are that you are liable for tax on all income earned anywhere, but only if that income is brought into Thailand in the year it is earned. You are not taxed on savings brought into Thailand, nor income earned overseas that you do not bring into Thailand. Since money is fungible, it is very difficult to say whether a particular transfer is of money recently earned or savings. However, advice I have been given indicates that keeping these in separate overseas bank accounts has you completely safe from the Thai tax authorities. Hard luck if you do not have sufficient savings to avoid bringing in income, though, in practice, it is still difficult for Thailand to collect the tax.

• Like 1