Required time left on passport for O-A renewal?

Hi folks, Ive had an O-A visa for several years now. My next renewal date is Feb 2018 but my Oz passport expires on 1 Sep 2018.

Is that sufficient time for O-A renewal, or do I need a new passport before Feb 18?

Thanks in advance, Glen

I assume you have an extension of stay based upon retirement not a OA visa issued by an embassy or consulate.

You could  apply for the extension in February but it would only be valid up to the date your passport expires. Then you would have to apply for a new extension prior to September 1st after you get a new passport. Best to get a new passport before you apply for the extension.

If you were actually applying for a new OA visa you would need at least a year remaining on your passport to apply for it.

• Like 1

Thanks Ubonjoe. Guess I'll opt for renewal in Feb 2018 till Sept, then get a new passport before Sep and do transfer of new extension then. Yes, I do have extension of stay based on retirement.

16 minutes ago, glen said:

Thanks Ubonjoe. Guess I'll opt for renewal in Feb 2018 till Sept, then get a new passport before Sep and do transfer of new extension then.

You will have to apply for a new extension of stay in September by showing financial proof and all the other required documents again.

Remember that if you want to travel many countries require at least 6 months of passport validity to enter them.

1 hour ago, glen said:

Thanks Ubonjoe. Guess I'll opt for renewal in Feb 2018 till Sept, then get a new passport before Sep and do transfer of new extension then. Yes, I do have extension of stay based on retirement.

They will not transfer rest of the year, you have to apply for new extension. 

1900 baht, money in bank three months etc. 

On 9/5/2017 at 6:48 AM, glen said:

Is it not possible for the unexpired period remaining on an Australian passport at the time of renewal being added to the lifetime of the replacement passport up to a certain maximum period (just like it can be in the case of a British passport up to 9 months)?