Driving license / yellow house book

chowny77

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

This has been covered so many times that a little search would have supplied all the answers.

Depending on how long your old licence has expired, you should be able to just get a Letter of Residence from Immigration, take to Transport and just do the colour, reaction and perception tests, then sit through a 45 minute video. That's it.

No requirement to sit the video in my area. I believe you also need a certificate of fitness to drive from a doctor/hospital.

2 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

No requirement to sit the video in my area. I believe you also need a certificate of fitness to drive from a doctor/hospital.

No doctors test required in Pattaya. Don't know why that keeps coming up.

IIRC I needed a 'Proof of Address' for my licenses here in Phuket.

Sensible folk did both there car and bike license at  the same time so as to only need one set of PoA papers. ( Lots of papers need for all but  !)

Any way , the "PoA" was acquired at Immigration.

I needed my lease , a copy of my landowners ID and signed ,  a copy of the page of the Land Book ( yellow in my case ) showing the landowners current ownership ( signed )  , and a copy of the tambien baan map  ( signed ) , so a plan  the piece of land I live on - numbers obviously matching. 

There was no charge.

But months later , when Patong Immigration was in turmoil , they charged me 1,000 baht for the same thing.

I needed another PoA simply because i bought a scooter , and wanted it put in my name ..

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

No its not plenty of people have posted in diffrent threads there office requires medical cert.

So did Pattaya, for my first 1 year licence, but not for subsequent renewals. I want to hear from somebody that was asked to supply a doctors letter for a licence renewal, not just hearsay.

Edited by giddyup

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So did Pattaya, for my first 1 year licence, but not for subsequent renewals. I want to hear from somebody that was asked to supply a doctors letter for a licence renewal, not just hearsay.

Ok, you can hear it from me. My two year temporary licences both expire next month, so last week I went to the local office to check when I should apply and what will be required. Their reply was:

I can apply 30 days before the expiry date of my current licence.

I need to provide:

Current licences and copies thereof.

Yellow Tabian Ban and copies thereof.     (but only as I have one, otherwise a certificate/note from the local immigration police confirming my address).

"Farang" ID card and copies thereof.

Passport and copies thereof.

Letter from doctor and copies thereof.

I was additionally informed that I have to take the vision and reaction tests but not sit through a video or take any written or computer based test.

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Ok, you can hear it from me. My two year temporary licences both expire next month, so last week I went to the local office to check when I should apply and what will be required. Their reply was:

I need to provide:

Yellow Tabian Ban and copies thereof.     (but only as I have one, otherwise a certificate/note from the local immigration police confirming my address).

I was additionally informed that I have to take the vision and reaction tests but not sit through a video or take any written or computer based test.

Cheers.

Go a little after your birthday and you will get an extra year...

30 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

I need to provide:

Cheers.

^ Same for me for a Renewal , except the "farang" ID card.

I had to present a  a Proof of Address  Certificate from Immigration instead of the yellow book stuff as I'd already showed that for my PoA.

I had to do a reaction and vision test as well.

The Drs certificate part really pee'ed me off as it was the only thing I didnt have. I rode all the way back to my villiage and was stung by Dr Pisit here for 300 baht  for it. When I was back at the License office the next day  and told a car  dealer I was sitting with he said I should have asked about where , as everyone knew of a pharmacy that issued them up the road , and for only 80 baht !! So it goes in Thailand ...

Edited by zaZa9

45 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

I need to provide:

Cheers.

What is a farang ID card?

21 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

^ Same for me for a Renewal , except the "farang" ID card.

I had to present a  a Proof of Address  Certificate from Immigration instead of the yellow book stuff as I'd already showed that for my PoA.

I had to do a reaction and vision test as well.

The Drs certificate part really pee'ed me off as it was the only thing I didnt have. I rode all the way back to my villiage and was stung by Dr Pisit here for 300 baht  for it. When I was back at the License office the next day  and told a car  dealer I was sitting with he said I should have asked about where , as everyone knew of a pharmacy that issued them up the road , and for only 80 baht !! So it goes in Thailand ...

Yes, the ID card is optional, only show it if you have one. Last time i had neither the TB nor the id card, so Mrs BM had to provide hers.

Just now, Blue Muton said:

A pink id card that Amphurs issue to resident non Thais on production of your yellow TB and passport.

Why would you be asked to produce that if you already have a letter of residence from immigration. Most falangs living here don't have one anyway.

Just now, giddyup said:

Why would you be asked to produce that if you already have a letter of residence from immigration. Most falangs living here don't have one anyway.

That's the point of having one, I don't have a two hour round trip to get a letter from immigration!

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

When I went to Pattaya for my first licence about 3 years ago they refused to accept my doctors letter because it was from a clinic in Chonburi, said I had to get one from Pattaya. Just went up to the Chonburi DLT in the afternoon, no problem. When I went back to Chonburi to convert to 5 year licence the medical certificate was still required. A medical certificate was also required for my 19 year old Thai niece who converted her licence at the same time.

Different offices, different rules.

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When I went to Pattaya for my first licence about 3 years ago they refused to accept my doctors letter because it was from a clinic in Chonburi, said I had to get one from Pattaya. Just went up to the Chonburi DLT in the afternoon, no problem. When I went back to Chonburi to convert to 5 year licence the medical certificate was still required. A medical certificate was also required for my 19 year old Thai niece who converted her licence at the same time.

Different offices, different rules.

Typical LOS, nobody knows what they are doing...:sad:

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

Bloke in Udon was recently asked for a medical certificate for his DL renewal. The following week another bloke renewed his at the same office and he wasn't asked for one.