Driving Back In The Uk...

Hi,

I've just popped back to England on a 'surprise the family' Xmas tour after having lived in LOS for almost 3 years...

...it's been great to re-charge the batteries, get a new non-imm B visa and will help me to fall in love with LOS all over again (because we all know that it can get a bit too much after a while).

However, what I have noticed after 2 weeks of driving around the UK just HOW SANITIZED the place is: speed cameras, traffic lights, mini roundabouts... they've all increased dramatically in numbers. Granted, the driving experience may well be safer, by it is infruriatingly boring. :o

No wonder road rage is such an issue here. It's like driving on a conveyor belt. :D

It's funny (peculiar, not haha) that in LOS, the roads are deadly but the 'enjoyment factor' is ten times higher. My personal opinion - freedom to drive how you like (within broad reasons). You actually have to engage your brain and drive your vehicle (and avoid all oncoming vehicles and livestock).

Driving in LOS is more dangerous than doing so the UK, yes (fatality numbers, accidents etc.). Improvements need to be made in terms of road quality and especailly law enforcement, double yes. But I tell you this fellow motorists - give me the madness (and freedom) of the LOS roads over the sanitized boredom of the UK anyday. :D:D

Cheers,

James

It's funny (peculiar, not haha) that in LOS, the roads are deadly but the 'enjoyment factor' is ten times higher. My personal opinion - freedom to drive how you like (within broad reasons). You actually have to engage your brain and drive your vehicle (and avoid all oncoming vehicles and livestock).

But I tell you this fellow motorists - give me the madness (and freedom) of the LOS roads over the sanitized boredom of the UK anyday. :D:D

Cheers,

James

Me think you should only be allowed to drive in video games. :o

James, I understand your point. "Sanitized" is a good description. I would add one point - I wouldn't apply the adjective, "boring", to the level of fines levied.

Hi Briggsy

I would agree with your sentiments about the UK fines. The latest here in London is using the 'Big Brother' CCTV camera's in all cities/town, to issue drivers with parking tickets.You dont even get the satisfaction of blaming a brainless traffic warden for giving you a ticket,you just get a 60 quid suprise in the post a few weeks later.

I wish i was back in LOS :o

I agree.. I know its barely controlled chaos sometimes.. But thats what I like about the 3rd world..

I drive around in Indo, Thailand, have done so in Africa.. Its that madness that I feel happier in that the milton keynes roundabout networks..

I have found the pleasure of motoring in England has got progressively less over the past forty years.

Now, the only way to have an enjoyable day, for me, is to go up to the Lake District on a weekday outside the school holidays.

Even then, the power, brakes and roadholding of a modern car mean that much of the feeling of achievement of going over the Wrynose, Hardnotts, and Ulpha Fells passes is not a patch on what I got when driving my 1960 split-windscreen Bedford CA in the late sixties and early seventies.

But driving here in Isaan is very pleasant. Thailand is so far behind that I think it is ahead!

(And even not noticing drivers on the other carriageway flashing their lights in warning, and so getting caught in a radar trap, only loses me three quid!)