Extension based on marriage or retirement.

Good day,

After years of travel to and from Thailand I have now decided to apply for long term visa extensions.

I am married to a Thai national and also retired.  What is the difference between an extension based on marriage and one based on retirement?

I realise there is a difference in the amount of money one has to show in ones bank account, are there any other differences?

Any replies, advice much appreciated, thank you.

There is also a difference in the income requirements. It is 40 baht for marriage and 65k baht for retirement.

The difference between needing 400k baht in the bank for 2 months for marriage and 800k baht in the bank for 3 month is a big difference IMO.

You can work and get a work permit with an extension based upon marriage.

Some people say that marriage is a lot harder to get than retirement but from my experience of getting 10 of them based upon marriage it is not that difficult.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 11:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

There is also a difference in the income requirements. It is 40 baht for marriage and 65k baht for retirement.

The difference between needing 400k baht in the bank for 2 months for marriage and 800k baht in the bank for 3 month is a big difference IMO.

You can work and get a work permit with an extension based upon marriage.

Some people say that marriage is a lot harder to get than retirement but from my experience of getting 10 of them based upon marriage it is not that difficult.

Thank you very much Ubonjoe, is income from investments, pensions acceptable for the retirement extension. I have sufficient funds for the 800k but if I can go the investment/pension route why not? 

On 9/8/2017 at 5:37 AM, 007 RED said:

FYI - In July I posted a similar question ( Retirement v Marriage Extension ? ) and had some informative responses. You may wish to take a look and hopefully they will help you make up you mind.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/994468-retirement-v-marriage-extension/?tab=comments#comment-12124895

Hope it helps.... Good luck.

Thanks 007 RED, as you said some very informative responses. 

On 9/8/2017 at 11:49 AM, Lagavulin said:

I was in the same dilemma. To cut to the chase, unless you plan on working and need the work permit, I would suggest the retirement option.  Less paperwork required, no 30 day waiting period or home visits, and less money involved.

Thank you, seems to be the way to go.

8 minutes ago, Alphim said:

Thank you very much Ubonjoe, is income from investments, pensions acceptable for the retirement extension. I have sufficient funds for the 800k but if I can go the investment/pension route why not? 

If you can prove 65k baht income income by way of a letter from your embassy it will be accepted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

If you can prove 65k baht income income by way of a letter from your embassy it will be accepted.

Thanks 

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks again, I will try that first.

On 8/9/2017 at 10:49 AM, Lagavulin said:

I was in the same dilemma. To cut to the chase, unless you plan on working and need the work permit, I would suggest the retirement option.  Less paperwork required, no 30 day waiting period or home visits, and less money involved.

less money involved ??? can you explain , please ?

• Like 1