Tourist Visa Days Versus Stamps

Now I know people should only have problems based on stamps clocking up 90 days from Oct 1st

has anyone experienced a mis-reading based on days with a Tourist Visa

I have no visa exemt stamps on my passport (have a multiple TV) and for a second time have just been told

by Chiang Mai immigration when it expires not to do a border run but get a visa, but in theory I am eligible to do 3 borderruns

I know it doesnt make sense, just saying what I have been told so trying to clear things up based on other peoples experience

Anyone in a similar situation and re-entered over the last week?

Now I know people should only have problems based on stamps clocking up 90 days from Oct 1st

I have no visa exemt stamps on my passport (have a multiple TV) and for a second time have just been told

by Chiang Mai immigration when it expires not to do a border run but get a visa, but in theory I am eligible to do 3 borderruns

I know it doesnt make sense, just saying what I have been told so trying to clear things up based on other peoples experience

Just go ahead and do the border run. We'd all love to know the result. :o

The worst that can happen is that you'll get a 7 day stamp which will give you plenty of time to get a TV somewhere else.

had a single 60 day tourist visa, went to bkk immigration and had it extended. Left and had another 60 day issued, returned to bkk yesterday.

not consulate or immigration at bkk airport batted an eye.

my opinion only, they are tightening up the laws to get the scum out. If you follow the rules, you are fine.

had a single 60 day tourist visa, went to bkk immigration and had it extended. Left and had another 60 day issued, returned to bkk yesterday.

not consulate or immigration at bkk airport batted an eye.

my opinion only, they are tightening up the laws to get the scum out. If you follow the rules, you are fine.

what consulate did you use

Hi Remo, I've just finished a triple-entry TV and last week got my first 30 day VOA from Mae Sai with no problems although she did spend an awful long time checking my passport (which only has the TV plus 3 extensions). Maybe because I was there early in the morning and they were very quiet.

why would they start denying tourist visas? they make money from them. they don't make any money from 30 day stamps. only the border run buses make money from those. in my opinion, that's the main reason behind the new rules. if you go to the embassy well dressed and are friendly, i doubt they would deny you tourist visas, no matter how many you already have in your passport.

why would they start denying tourist visas? they make money from them. they don't make any money from 30 day stamps. only the border run buses make money from those. in my opinion, that's the main reason behind the new rules. if you go to the embassy well dressed and are friendly, i doubt they would deny you tourist visas, no matter how many you already have in your passport.

Those punters with real visa's are unaffected by all of the changes. Just comply and all of the problems go away.

Al this is from hazy memory as I dont have my brothers passport.. My brother (genuine tourist, lives on Bali but visits me a lot, travels with TGF) has been in country 5 times IIRC..

He flew in Oct 3.. Left a few days later to UK.. Flew back.. Run out of country long before expiry and back (hop out for pleasure) and back..

He then stayed a full 30 days on Phuket with me.. So far he had something like 35 - 40 days in country on 3 stamps.. He did a visa run to Ranong where they looked his passport over, counted up 2 stamps (missing one !!) gave him a 30 day stamp and marked it and said to him 'last time you get stamp'.. He protested that he had only been actually incountry about 40ish days and even the full 30 would be well short of 90 days and the officer angrily and loudly.. LAST ONE YOU GO NOW !!

Now of course one officer doesnt make a system.. He is due back in country mid this month after leaving (before 30 days used on that 'last one stamp') at that point he will have 6 stamps but still be around the 65 ish day mark.. He is however very concerned that he will have entry problems but cannot get a Thai visa on bali and isnt stopping on route.

Technically he should be OK (less than 90 days). Morally he is definately only a tourist. but it is a problem for him.

His purpose here is to get his missus a UK holiday visa.. If that process requires an interview and it doesnt happen in 30 days he will be very inconvenienced. Again he doesnt live here, has no home or anything larger than a suitcase here, just the connection with TGF and me having my home here means he does visit and has spent an unsually large amount of visits in the last few months. These were unplanned and fluid, not something he could have pre planned and applied for visa's for and also there is no Thai consul on the island he lives in.

Edited by LivinLOS

...His purpose here is to get his missus a UK holiday visa.. If that process requires an interview and it doesnt happen in 30 days he will be very inconvenienced...there is no Thai consul on the island he lives in.

If he is not sure that he will leave Thailand within the 30 days’ stay allowed by a visa-exempt entry he should definitely get a tourist visa. Application can be made by mail.

--

Maestro

The Honorary Consulate Office of Thailand

330 Jalan Gatot Subroto Timur

Denpasar

Bali

Indonesia

Been there two Years ago for a Single O Visa (Honeymoon trip to Bali ...).

The guy there told me already back then they don't like to issue Visas to foreigners .....

Might be worth calling or Emailing first, in the light of more recent developments ....

Sunny

There is actually a Thai Consulate on Bali. Please, don't make more visa complications on false premises.

That s great news.. He was told he had to go to Jakarta (or sing / KL etc)..

That will make a single tourist visa doable just in case..

...His purpose here is to get his missus a UK holiday visa.. If that process requires an interview and it doesnt happen in 30 days he will be very inconvenienced...there is no Thai consul on the island he lives in.

If he is not sure that he will leave Thailand within the 30 days’ stay allowed by a visa-exempt entry he should definitely get a tourist visa. Application can be made by mail.

--

Maestro

While I understand in general some people can and should get visas prior to entry it isnt as simple as applying by mail..

He is in a country where he has to always have his passport with him.. So posting his passport away for a visa isnt doable..

Hes a genuine tourist but his life isnt a static one where he sits at home can apply to a home country consul prior to coming.. he just hops around using budget airlines as he sees fit and depending on the surf seasons and wave reports..

The main point of my post though was that Ranong told him last stamp when he was somewhere around the 60 - 70 days use !! They also numbered his stamps 1 2 and 3 missing one entire stamp !!!

I suspect Ranong, as an exit to nowhere, may well adopt more restrictive measures that a normal airport or border crossing used by tourists that might really be visiting another country. At least that officer seems to have done so.

For the moment the situation is far from clear, and I fear that for a while we may be

at the mercy of individual Immigration officer's interpretation of the new regulation. :o

Some things are becoming clear.

It's clear that we can't take anything for granted, even the 90 days.

It's clear that we are at the mercy of the Immigration Department's organised chaos.

It's clear that Thailand is becoming a less favourable option for many.

I suspect Ranong, as an exit to nowhere, may well adopt more restrictive measures that a normal airport or border crossing used by tourists that might really be visiting another country. At least that officer seems to have done so.

I personally fully believe the intention is days not stamps..

The fact the officer missed an entire stamp in whatever he was calculating also is poor..

But combine stressed officers, doing a system they are not used to, long queues of people.. Theres going to be mistakes.. Its if they are approachable and being and open to rechecking that importantg.. Thais in general dont like having authority questions checked.

The Honorary Consulate Office of Thailand

330 Jalan Gatot Subroto Timur

Denpasar

Bali

Indonesia

Been there two Years ago for a Single O Visa (Honeymoon trip to Bali ...).

The guy there told me already back then they don't like to issue Visas to foreigners .....

Might be worth calling or Emailing first, in the light of more recent developments ....

Sunny

The Honorary Consul on Bali is a Thai :o

I personally fully believe the intention is days not stamps..

The fact the officer missed an entire stamp in whatever he was calculating also is poor..

But combine stressed officers, doing a system they are not used to, long queues of people.. Theres going to be mistakes.. Its if they are approachable and being and open to rechecking that importantg.. Thais in general dont like having authority questions checked.

Good point. Might be helpful if people were to tag each page that has a highlighted visa exempt stamp in order to make it easier for officer to find them. Our HR dept puts a little tag on the page that has our current Non Imm B re-entry permit to make it easier to find it. Many of us have been here for several years and have many re-entry stamps in the midst of 30-40 full passport pages. Very handy. Might also be a good idea to do a calculation sheet to have available if there is any difference in their calculation and what you think it should be.

TH