Holiday suggestions. SE Asia October. SW Monsoon

phetphet

I  want to take the Thai GF on holiday. She can only get time off work in October, and would like to go somewhere she can "do some snorkelling with a little bit of nightlife."

The thing is, October is SW monsoon time. Most of SE Asia is wet. I have thought of Bali, Sri Lanka, and maybe El Nido in the Philippines. All are likely to be "wet season".

Although I have read that early October is likely to be drier than late October.

Maldives are out. Too expensive, and too quiet.

Did think of the Middle East, but not sure where to go, or if she would like it.

Can some of the more travelled members / snorkellers here offer some other destinations that might suit please?

TIA

Greece should be good. October is the end of the high season, prices aren't too crazy anyway, and quite a lot of variation in terms of destinations within country. Need to keep an eye on weather, though. 

Turkey is another choice, though perhaps some would be deterred by politics etc. That's not always much of an issue, depending on where one travels. Prices are similar to Greece, perhaps even cheaper.

Cyprus is a good alternative to both (and that goes for either side of the island).

Then there are Italy and Spain, but price tags would go up some. 

On 08/09/2017 at 10:21 AM, Morch said:

Greece should be good. October is the end of the high season, prices aren't too crazy anyway, and quite a lot of variation in terms of destinations within country. Need to keep an eye on weather, though. 

Turkey is another choice, though perhaps some would be deterred by politics etc. That's not always much of an issue, depending on where one travels. Prices are similar to Greece, perhaps even cheaper.

Cyprus is a good alternative to both (and that goes for either side of the island).

Then there are Italy and Spain, but price tags would go up some. 

Most of the hotels are shut up by October in Greece, certainly in the tourist areas rhey are anyway.

Edited by gandalf12

8 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Most of the hotels are shut up by October in Greece, certainly in the tourist areas rhey are anyway.

From first hand experience, not really. Perhaps end of October, if the weather turns chilly or if it was a "weak" tourist season. And even then, don't know that it's "most" - but for sure many when it comes to beach and island destinations. Hence was the advice to pay attention to the weather. On the other hand, it's possible to score some great deals end of season. Sailing, though, perhaps not a great idea.

37 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

I have visited the islands in Oct and Nov.. certainly quiet but no problem finding accommodation.. peaceful too.. I would do it again..

2 hours ago, Morch said:

From first hand experience, not really. Perhaps end of October, if the weather turns chilly or if it was a "weak" tourist season. And even then, don't know that it's "most" - but for sure many when it comes to beach and island destinations. Hence was the advice to pay attention to the weather. On the other hand, it's possible to score some great deals end of season. Sailing, though, perhaps not a great idea.

They do. I lived there for 2 years and when the season ended many closed down especially on the islands

44 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

They do. I lived there for 2 years and when the season ended many closed down especially on the islands

Guess it would depend on when and where, not my experience that they close en masse that early. Suppose it's not the same for all islands, though, especially those relying on longer ferry connections.

I have visited Santorini in October, and it was quiet-ish. The big cruise ships still bring lots of day trippers. It was a bit chilly at night.

I am currently looking the Gili Islands as suggested in post #3, although a bit of chopping and changing involved to get there from Samui.

Edited by phetphet