Any Electricians Out There?

TBWG

Hi

I am about to put some lights on top of recently erected gate posts. In an ideal world I would like these to come on automatically at dusk and go off automatically about 6-7 hours later.

Being a cheap Charlie :o I would also like to use low energy bulbs and this is the problem, Khun Sparks tells me that it is not possible to use a sensor with low energy bulbs as this would cause them to flicker on and off until trully dark. A timeswitch is also out of the question because of frequent power cuts.

So, is he correct only I don't see florescent street lights flickering at dusk? Also any alternative suggestions?

Thanks

TBWG :D

never heard that one b4 about low energy globes and is bull

why dont you use solar lights, they are basicly LED with solar battery cahager to ni-cads.

we have em in our garden here and are great, no wiring involved.

Hi Bronco

Solar lights was my first option but after buying a couple found that they are not really bright enough.

Also the posts are fairly substantial about 18inches square and the lights looked much too small, like a pimple on a chang's bum!!! :o

Any other advice/comments appreciated!

The light sensor is just a switch that is turned on and off automatically depending on how light/dark it is. You want to put the sensor in a place so that when the lights go on they don't light up the sensor so much that it "sees" so much light that it turns off and then after the light is off it is so dark that the sensor turns the light on after which it is so light that the sensor turns the light off after which it is so dark that it turns the light on after which it is so light that the sensor turns the light off after which it is so dark that it turns the light on after which it is so light that the sensor turns the light off after which it is so dark that it turns the light on after which it is so light that the sensor turns the light off after which it is so dark that it turns the light on after which it is so light that the sensor turns the light off after which it is so dark that it turns the light on ..........until the sun comes up and its so light that the light stays on all day after which the cycles repeat.

Chownah

P.S. The sensor I bought for the street light out front is too sensitive and goes on too soon.....when I get around to it I'll replace it with a sensor with adjustable sensitivity if I can find one.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

The light sensor is just a switch that is turned on and off automatically depending on how light/dark it is. You want to put the sensor in a place so that when the lights go on they don't light up the sensor so much that it "sees" so much light that it turns off and then after the light is off it is so dark that the sensor turns the light on after which it is so light that the sensor turns the light off after which it is so dark that it turns the light on after which it is so light that the sensor turns the light off after which it is so dark that it turns the light on after which it is so light that the sensor turns the light off after which it is so dark that it turns the light on after which it is so light that the sensor turns the light off after which it is so dark that it turns the light on after which it is so light that the sensor turns the light off after which it is so dark that it turns the light on ..........until the sun comes up and its so light that the light stays on all day after which the cycles repeat.

Chownah

P.S. The sensor I bought for the street light out front is too sensitive and goes on too soon.....when I get around to it I'll replace it with a sensor with adjustable sensitivity if I can find one.

Chownah

The sensor has to be located in a position thats not affected by ambient light, normally they give you a direction to face the sensor

I have successfully used electric timers bought at Home Pro. I have waterproof boxes for each of the timers . The timers come with a rechargeable battery that has never failed.We seemed to have many power outages here where I live and the timers with the battery have worked very well. I use these for everything including outdoor water fountains that I have timed to turn off at 8 P.M.and timed to come on again at 6 A.M.

timer.bmp

there is no problem with using light sensors, they will just turn on and off the power to the bulbs, i would however recomend the use of timers myself, frequent problems with too much light causing them to come on and off, when the sensor gets dirty it thinks its night etc etc, you must want them on all night so may as well go for a timer. You can always adjust it slightly for longer night times etc.

I have successfully used electric timers bought at Home Pro. I have waterproof boxes for each of the timers . The timers come with a rechargeable battery that has never failed.We seemed to have many power outages here where I live and the timers with the battery have worked very well. I use these for everything including outdoor water fountains that I have timed to turn off at 8 P.M.and timed to come on again at 6 A.M.

Thanks folks

Did not realise timers came with battery back up, will therefore give sensors a miss and go with low energy bulbs and timer :o

Thanks again

Did not realise timers came with battery back up, will therefore give sensors a miss and go with low energy bulbs and timer :o

You need the more expensive electronic timer with an LCD display rather than the cheapo mechanical ones that don't have any form of backup.

The electronic ones I got from Homepro (sorry forgot the price) are good for many days with no power before they lose their programming and time. The units I have also allow different timings for each day so, if you like, you can have the lights on later at weekends etc.

You could also go for a system that uses a both sensor (photoelectric) and timer that operates a relay to actually turn on and off the lights. Probably overkill, so go with the high[er] quality timer. Sunset in Thailand only varies about 30 minutes or so (I think), not much of a problem with what time they would come on.

TH

• 1 month later...
Hi

I am about to put some lights on top of recently erected gate posts. In an ideal world I would like these to come on automatically at dusk and go off automatically about 6-7 hours later.

Being a cheap Charlie :o I would also like to use low energy bulbs and this is the problem, Khun Sparks tells me that it is not possible to use a sensor with low energy bulbs as this would cause them to flicker on and off until trully dark. A timeswitch is also out of the question because of frequent power cuts.

So, is he correct only I don't see florescent street lights flickering at dusk? Also any alternative suggestions?

Thanks

The photocells usually have some leakage current, so that is why they can cause problems with the compact fluorescent bulbs, as the CF ballasts will try and operate on the leakage current.

Easiest way to deal with this is to get a little ice-cube relay or contactor that is controlled by the photocell, and wire that to the lamp. Reality is that this is always the best practice.

If you really do want to shut the lights off after 6 hours, get a timing relay ("TDOD") to shut off the contactor after a set time. If you want to avoid the nuisance switching and really want to get fancy, you can also add in a time delay before turning on the lights.