no visa entry stamp

e3whu

Good morning all,

My girlfriend did her first land visa entry a few months ago and there was a massive mistake made. I appreciate the severity of the mistake and would like to get it resolved ASAP.

She was unaware exactly what to do, so on re-entry on the friendship bridge, there was no exit stamp from Laos and was waved through in Thailand. Her passport currently shows her as being in Laos with a 70 day overstay,

She is in Thailand, I've been to multiple immigrations and they've been of no help trying to fix the issue here in Bangkok and Pattaya.

She's due to fly out back to the USA in 10 days. So I view the 2 options as:

1- Just deal with it at the airport and face the potential 'illegal entry' charge,

2- try and regain entry to Laos. This is my preferred option as we can just pay the overstay and re-enter Thailand and she can take the flight.

I've read that there are boats that take people across the Mekong from Nong Khai. Does anyone have any information about this? Do they take white westerners? What are the risks?

Thank you all in advance, I'm extremely keen to get this sorted without her facing any possible prosecution.

I've researched that there are boats for hire on both sides of the border- and it's common to use them to transit across. I've spoken to somebody who once lived in Laos and he said he used to use them to travel to Thailand to do his shopping. I know it sounds ridiculous but I don't see any other options.

Edited by e3whu
spelling

18 minutes ago, e3whu said:

I've researched that there are boats for hire on both sides of the border- and it's common to use them to transit across. I've spoken to somebody who once lived in Laos and he said he used to use them to travel to Thailand to do his shopping. I know it sounds ridiculous but I don't see any other options.

There are legal boats that stop at border crossings manned by IOs, that may be what you are talking about. 

With all due respect if you are trying to hire a crossing to enter a country illegally in this day and age you are either quite naive or incredibly stupid.

11 minutes ago, allane said:

Post # 6 may be correct. However, from a practical perspective, she should start at the nearest Immigration office. She can always go to the border after that, if that is what they tell her to do.

"She is in Thailand, I've been to multiple immigrations and they've been of no help trying to fix the issue here in Bangkok and Pattaya."

She will be wasting time and money visiting anywhere but the actual crossing.

Edited by pearciderman

2 hours ago, pearciderman said:

The post says "her first land visa entry ", not visa exempt entry.

so her 60 day tourist visa entry stamp would have expired, unless she was on some sort of non imm. (70 day Lao overstay )

a good reminder for all to check stamps before leaving immigration.

ppp leads to ppp

6 hours ago, e3whu said:

She was unaware exactly what to do, so on re-entry on the friendship bridge, there was no exit stamp from Laos and was waved through in Thailand. Her passport currently shows her as being in Laos with a 70 day overstay,

She needs to go back to where she entered the country to get it resolved. That is what the immigration office should of suggested she do.

I assume she has a Laos departure stamp in her passport that they can use as reference as to what day she entered the country.

What type of visa did she have when she entered the country.