looking for the right place !

jimmyaaa

Hello ! Im an american , mid forties , active , experienced traveler coming to chiang mai to test the waters on staying indefinetly . Im hoping a member here can give me a tip on my first stop/rental......Initially i am looking for a quiet motel/guesthouse that is surrounded by nature/trees/landscape that has walking/running trails or paths within few minutes of residence . Only looking for daily or weekly rental initially (not afraid to go monthly if i like it) . I walk alot so several kms away from central is ok . Mostly eat out and occasionally cook simple . I have a few beers twice a week so near nightlife not important . .......The biggest draw of your area (to me) is it appears to be surrounded by scenery , not big city , and reasonable cost of living.....thanks in advance and see you in 3 weeks !   p.s. anywhere from 300 baht to 1000 baht for nightly rental costs . I dont care much about furnishings ,simple is best and location is everything

Edited by jimmyaaa

thanks nick ! i wont be buying a motorbike but do occasionally take one when needed (im in asia now) ...im not an experienced driver and dont think its worth it (for me personally) ...and i walk a lot and actually prefer it if not surrounded by complete chaos (standard asia big city style) ! ideally , i find right location i can run/hike/walk in the mornings ( for health) and only do it for actual transpo when needed . I can usually make do foodwise anywhere . And i dont mind paying for cabs when needed 

31 minutes ago, jimmyaaa said:

thanks nick ! i wont be buying a motorbike but do occasionally take one when needed (im in asia now) ...im not an experienced driver and dont think its worth it (for me personally) ...and i walk a lot and actually prefer it if not surrounded by complete chaos (standard asia big city style) ! ideally , i find right location i can run/hike/walk in the mornings ( for health) and only do it for actual transpo when needed . I can usually make do foodwise anywhere . And i dont mind paying for cabs when needed 

Just be aware the air quality in Chiang Mai at certain times of year will likely make running quite difficult.

4 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Where do you live in the USA? Chang Mai is terribly boring and that's in the tourist areas. You really want to stay even further out, miles away in a nondescript area?

Go stay around chiang mai gate for a week and work outwards from their if it's to busy for you

ya dream scenario is 1 km from town , third floor nice view overlooking some mountains/scenery , with walking/running path close by . Definetly want the best of both worlds (convenience and quiet) with not too remote and not too much city....chiangmai gate ?ill take a look and thanks           basically dont wanna start my morning dodging jeepnies/bikes/tuctucs/ect fighting my way to my morning nature fix 

The Smith Residence is located south of the Chiang Mai gate, near the Wua Lai Saturday Night Market. They have a pretty lively expat community there.
http://www.chiangmaismithres.com/Chiangmai_apartment/
Actually that's where I stayed for a month and the bar downstairs was a great casual nightly meet up.. Great bunch of guys and Gals and the perfect place for a newbie like me to get good advice

Unfortunately chiang mai to boring for me but smith's was a stand out

On 9/11/2017 at 10:37 AM, JulieM said:

Check out Suthep Road.  Find a place as close to the mountain as you can get. 

ya  i think ill check out this location along with huay tung lake , royal flora ratchupruek , bikebpath along canal road , suan buak , ect.... ill find the running/nature location for me that fits then just rent something close by.....even a great rental for me sucks if i gotta commute in the morning to run.....i dont mind taking a taxi at night a few kms  to go out , shop , ect a few times a week....thanks for all responses and any quiet/no vehicles /scenic walking jogging areas not mentioned much appreciated