Where Can I Hire Someone To Help Me Buy A Used Car?

StrongView

With the recent edition of a newborn to our family, the wife and I have decided we need to get our own used transportation. The problem is, I know very little about cars. I know the basics (as far as changing my own oil), but when it comes to looking for mechanical problems, I know nothing. Adding to that, I'm in a country different from my home, so it complicates it more. I was thinking, does anyone know (or have experience) if you can hire someone to assist you in buying a used vehicle? Thanks!

Adverts in baht and sold claim to do a vehicle inspection and report.. Not sure if its a call out service. I think I read that they will only check them at thier location and most / many dealers wont allow this presale.

I have an ex mechanic mate from the UK who lives in BKK.. I imagine he would be amenable to helping you for a fair price on his time.

I'm trying to stay cheap, below 200,000 Baht.

That narrows it down a bit.

Shop for a clean 10-15 year old Toyota Corolla or a clean Soluna. Look for a clean well kept one and locate a mechanic you can trust to look it over for you.

The little Toyotas are well built, very durable and are easy and cheap to fix.

Be prepared to pay a little extra for one in very good condition.

Otherwise I might recommend take the 200K and make a down payment on a basic new Toyota Vios, actually your best buy especially if you aren't especially knowledgeable about cars.

A brand new basic 2 wheel drive toyota pickup is also a very good value.

Edited by kasi

Yess be careful, look at everything, you certainly want someone with you as for the money your talking theres a lot of rubbish out there, I was looking for weeks before I found something in that price range that was good, if you get realy stuck I'll come with you.