What is the VERY BEST thing about living in Thailand??

fashionablesally

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is 2017 isn't it? I would have thought being a woman and finally having some sort of opportunity for a high standing in society (depending on their career), would have been a positive thing. Not only for the country (mostly other women), but for the individual. It is a very male dominated society after all, so half educated women seem to enjoy challenging the norms I have found. Of course, you will get your lazy women, but I have found that they are hi so from association. Hi so families, like any family, would like to see their children strive. The difference is they have the means to help that happen.

Also in the case of Thailand, it is the career that many rich Thai guys seek (why I initially mentioned the career before the rich Thai guys). As if investments turn bad then the family will always have something to fall back on/turn to. 

Edited by wildewillie89

6 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

My quote: Yes -- and some have gone through that routine and are just bored with the whole thing.

When a man is bored with a variety of women he is bored with life. Maybe that happens 70 up.

I wan't saying anything about the man being bored

5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

It is 2017 isn't it? I would have thought being a woman and finally having some sort of opportunity for a high standing in society (depending on their career), would have been a positive thing. Not only for the country (mostly other women), but for the individual. It is a very male dominated society after all, so half educated women seem to enjoy challenging the norms I have found. Of course, you will get your lazy women, but I have found that they are hi so from association. Hi so families, like any family, would like to see their children strive. The difference is they have the means to help that happen.

Also in the case of Thailand, it is the career that many rich Thai guys seek (why I initially mentioned the career before the rich Thai guys). As if investments turn bad then the family will always have something to fall back on/turn to. 

Grow up.

The fact I have found it would suggest it means something as it is happening. I married into a relatively well positioned family, so naturally the majority of our friends are either high ranking officials or well off. Of course we have all kinds of friends, but usually you spend the most time with people like work colleagues, family etc. My findings are purely based off this and when I was young/dating Thai who had the money to study university as overseas students back home.  

Yes, it is a big world. Maybe take some of your own advice. Many variables in life, but if we are talking young, attractive, well off Thai women. More often than not they will be seeking Thai men or young, attractive foreigners. Not old, fat grandpas who make the same (or less) amount of money they do. 

Edited by wildewillie89

On 9/12/2017 at 5:04 PM, fashionablesally said:

i will say that the best thing about Thailand for me is how affordable the food is. Thai street food is so amazing

Really you came here for the food....... I guess you haven't seen the temples yet....:coffee1:

** The only ones who didn't come here for the Thai Girls...came for the Thai Boys.....

Edited by oxo1947

Oh Puh-Leerz. 30 years ago I was working in PR China traveling remote parts of the country with State level delegation and Party Members. My first time in Thailand was with a Foundation under Royal Patronage of (the late) HM the King and all sorts of high level persons would show up. So take your well-positioned family and life with anbd stop judging other people based upon your limited big-fish in a little pond experience.

My favorite quote from "Citizen Kane" (1941)

Charles Foster Kane: You're right, I did lose a million dollars last year. I expect to lose a million dollars this year. I expect to lose a million dollars *next* year. You know, Mr. Thatcher, at the rate of a million dollars a year, I'll have to close this place in... 60 years.

Edited by JLCrab

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Oh Puh-Leerz. 30 years ago I was working in China traveling remote parts of the country with State level delgation and Patrty Members. My first time in Thailand was wqigth a Foundation under Royal Patronage of (the late) HM the King and all sorts of hgigh levelk persons would show up. So take your well-posgtioned family and life with

So we are still living 30 years ago? 

Edited by wildewillie89

12 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I married into a relatively well positioned family, so naturally the majority of our friends are either high ranking officials or well off. Of course we have all kinds of friends, but usually you spend the most time with people like work colleagues, family etc. My findings are purely based off this and when I was young/dating Thai who had the money to study university as overseas students back home.  

So you know very little about the the lives of ordinary Thais and the country the vast majority of Thai live in, then.

Do you actually have anything to contribute to the thread, which is what do you like about Thailand?

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

So you know very little about the the lives of ordinary Thais and the country the vast majority of Thai live in, then.

Do you actually have anything to contribute to the thread, which is what do you like about Thailand?

I already have said what I liked.

Seeing as the conversation went elsewhere it seems everyone jumped on that (which isn't talking about the majority). Going to quote every quote for the last few pages policing that, or just mine as usual? lol

I don't know why you took the talking of my family so sensitively. It was merely to back up a point, that the people I have experienced, do not have the need to seek a grandpa when they are so young. Every commentator is only going off their experiences - whatever the topic.

So being overly sensitive, not having any relevant points, and being forced to make useless comments like 'grow up', would probably suggest you don't have much experience to comment on this particular matter. But I am sure you do on other matters. 

Have fun with this fantastic life of yours. I will stick to my shitty life lol

2 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I don't know why you took the talking of my family so sensitively. It was merely to back up a point, that the people I have experienced, do not have the need to seek a grandpa when they are so young. Every commentator is only going off their experiences - whatever the topic.

So being overly sensitive, not having any relevant points, and being forced to make useless comments like 'grow up', would probably suggest you don't have much experience to comment on this particular matter. But I am sure you do on other matters. 

Have fun with this fantastic life of yours. I will stick to my shitty life lol

I've read plenty of your long-winded stuff on the Isaan Forum so I'll just leave it at that.

1 minute ago, wildewillie89 said:

I already have said what I liked.

Seeing as the conversation went elsewhere it seems everyone jumped on that (which isn't talking about the majority). Going to quote every quote for the last few pages policing that, or just mine as usual? lol

I agree that as usual a thread trying to be positive about Thailand has been hijacked by the usual suspects trying to bash Thailand, but a thread in the General subforum shouldn't be, and hopefully most of those posts will vanish.

However, don't kid yourself that I'm picking on you- I don't "follow" anyone on TVF, and just respond to whatever comes along on whatever thread looks interesting. So, it was your claim to live among the elites of Thailand that provoked a response, and I just added another reminder to all of what the thread is actually about.

It all started to go downhill when I said that some girls would not be caught dead as go-go dancers and then someone jumped in that I must have been referencing Hi-So. I wasn't. All I was referencing was knock-out Thai girls that don't need to go-go- dance to get attention.

Then it morphed to fat old grandpas living on a meager pension or some such.

5 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

I think there are many different definitions of hi so on this forum. No hi so girl I have ever known would go around waitresing for anyone, whether it be at a restaurant or a sauna. 

I feel these girls you speak of are maybe considered hi so by association, not actually hi so themselves. 

I was only considering their families wealth and social rank.  Maybe you don't know a lot of college girls in CM although I guess it could be said really hi so ladies don't go to college in Thailand and there you would have a point.

Edited by amvet

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree that as usual a thread trying to be positive about Thailand has been hijacked by the usual suspects trying to bash Thailand, but a thread in the General subforum shouldn't be, and hopefully most of those posts will vanish.

However, don't kid yourself that I'm picking on you- I don't "follow" anyone on TVF, and just respond to whatever comes along on whatever thread looks interesting. So, it was your claim to live among the elites of Thailand that provoked a response, and I just added another reminder to all of what the thread is actually about.

I dont think anyone would use the forum if they won't hijacked to be honest. Generally topics are pretty self explanatory and don't really need conversing or are finished after the first few comments. 

Just curious if we were talking about bars and I said my wife is a bar girl? Would you respond the same? The conversation, which I didn't even start, was about higher rankings in society. So naturally people who live among what farang define as 'elites' will be drawn to question silly claims by others. Don't be so negative/sensitive about a non issue. 

Edited by wildewillie89

This is an amazing discussion, I've just read almost all 16 pages. It should be pinned. Obviously there are many things to like about Thailand, and a few not to like. It's an experience, like no other.

Many posters have mentioned their Thai wife, and I have to say mine of 15 years has made it possible for me to live in Thailand and raise four beautiful Thai kids, and she keeps it interesting. 

One of my favorite things, as a tree lover, is the great 300 year old Raintree on the bank of the Ping River at Wat Chaimongkon. And all the other trees, flowering, fragrant, fruiting, and just awesome to see, everywhere, all the time.  

Mountain biking and hiking Doi Suthep-Pui NP frequently was a cool clean air healthy high. 

But the greatest thing for me is that the lessons of life and Dukka (the first of the Four Noble Truths) are frequent and intense and constantly remind me of the power of Now, and to step back into a witness consciousness and Awareness. Without that, Thailand, and life, would drive me crazy. 

006.JPG