airbnb, first experience not so good! beware

ryanhull

I've only had one bad experience out of many with actually staying somewhere with airbnb. My biggest complaints are how hard it is to contact airbnb and that the host can cancel, at any time, without any penalty - but if you can do, you could get nothing, 50% or most back. I don't make a booking with a host that has cancelled previously and not given help / satisfactory reason to the other person.

22 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

I've only had one bad experience out of many with actually staying somewhere with airbnb. My biggest complaints are how hard it is to contact airbnb and that the host can cancel, at any time, without any penalty - but if you can do, you could get nothing, 50% or most back. I don't make a booking with a host that has cancelled previously and not given help / satisfactory reason to the other person.

That's one of my biggest complaints.  I had booked a room in Brussels, only to have them cancel a few weeks before my arrival.  In high season!  I booked another, and they cancelled 2 days later.  Finally just went with the Ibis!!!

• Like 1

I am not sure why anyone would use Airbnb except in an attempt to try and save a few dollars?  You rent a truly unseen room, only have limited resource to get your money back if the place turns out to be a dump or in a bad location.  The room may not be cleaned properly between customers or ever for that matter, and then you have to deal with refund policies if you aren't satisfied.

Airbnb offers some great guarantees but it seems to get a lot of really bad press.  Good luck.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, dansbkk said:

I am not sure why anyone would use Airbnb except in an attempt to try and save a few dollars?  You rent a truly unseen room, only have limited resource to get your money back if the place turns out to be a dump or in a bad location.  The room may not be cleaned properly between customers or ever for that matter, and then you have to deal with refund policies if you aren't satisfied.

Airbnb offers some great guarantees but it seems to get a lot of really bad press.  Good luck.

I've had some fantastic experiences with Airbnb.  Rooms you'd never be able to get without them.  Full kitchens, private apartments, some fantastic places.  All at prices well below that of hotels.  Because they don't have to pay for all the overhead of a hotel.

• Like 1

Look at the reviews. That's why they are there. And getting a 40sqm studio for the price of a 20 sqm hotel room is a huge advantage

Exactly what happened to me, both in Hawaii and Udon, paid via Air BnB but when checking in had to make a deposit, and pay electricity and water - 

in the case of Udon, I had to pay up front, no receipt was given, management was absent as it was a week after Songkran and of course the toilet seat was broken, so for a weeks stay I owed 800 baht for electricity, (this was a bungalow) and I had to buy a new toilet seat (that was a setup) 900 baht.  I contemplated taking a shit on the bed before leaving, but refrained.

In Hawaii I had to pay Electricity, Water, deposit, cleaning but at least the place advertised that and I knew it up front, what I didn't know was how much, wound up to by about $450 for a one month stay extra.  

Don't think I will be using Air BnB again any time soon.

Always use Booking.com , no pre-payment , pay on arrival ,

yes - some establishment might charge you " first night "

then on arrival decide to use credit card or cash ....

always read the " fine print " use Google Earth to see

the " actual establishment " & the surroundings .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dansbkk said:

You would understand if you were in Australia - even the grimiest motel is asking $100. Don't expect any change out of $200 near a city. I've even seen a  caravan park in Mildura pricing at $180 a night.

In contrast, AirBnB private home owners are asking $50-$70 a night. In one case, I got half the house for $55.

It's all in the reviews - you have to read them carefully and between the lines as well.

All the rooms in Australia were very clean. I wouldn't use AirBnB in other countries, Agoda is better.

13 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Report to Airbnb
These are scammers
7000 "cas" deposit would have been as good as gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you report they will tell you that they help you, but do nothing then protect the landlord. Happend to me. They will offer you another accomodation, thats it. They don´t care if the new accomodation is double the price, in complitly another location and you don´t have someting to stay till then. Happend to me. Stay away from them.

2 hours ago, kg1947 said:

Always use Booking.com , no pre-payment , pay on arrival ,

Good advice.  I also stopped booking multiple nights just in case.  Book one night if you like it stay if not seeya...  This ain't Manhattan.  There's always another room not far away.

15 hours ago, ryanhull said:

Thanks for your reply, when you have used them... have you ever been asked to pay a deposit or electric outside of the system? I mean everything you paid on the system upfront included the lot? Do you just book or do you contact them first? agreed on the dodgy listings... having looked a bit more today, I noticed quite a modern house, full privrate house to yourself but a bit out in the sticks for a great rate... read the review which was a bit odd, something about students live here but have moved out for a while to earn money from it during studies??? then anyway didnt think much ofit and came accross another house simular, modern single house in a different location though, checked the description and it was a copy and paste about the students? didnt look like the sort of house a student would live in either with a western style kitchen?.... airbnb seem to need to update there system I think, seems all to easy to list up properties on the platform and make up your own rules. I get if you have a place you dont want any old idiot booking for one night and walking off with your tv/sofa etc but that deposit side should be set in stone and fully taken care of by airbnb in my view and massive warnings should be on the message system/all over the site to both hosts and guests no money outside the system becuase it isnt really that clear. I dont see how they are scamming as people paying through the system the money would never get released but it probably kicks in once youve booked in they message you asking for some kind of upfront deposit for the scam bit. Cheers

Agreed mate, problem is I only noticed when I got the message, I bet alot of people dont get that pre warning message and are told on arrival... which you know Thailand, it is all well and good standing your ground and refusing but theyll just give you the cold shoulder, if it was early on in the day youd be fine and you had time on your hands to sort this out on arrival it might be ok, thing is I will be driving with my son probably arriving late on wanting no hassle so it would have been bassicly a massive hassle then to inform airbnb, id have to check in during that time and then your going to have the hotel owners hassling/being generally angry with you plus maybe get thrown out if airbnb are not helping... I guess thats worst case scenario but I am really pleased I noticed now rather than later arriving with my lad and having to cough up un-expected costs.... silly thing is airbnb has a deposit system built in, so they could simply have added the 7000 as part of the booking process and I would have had no problem with that. I would have a problem paying electric and water though as that to me is generally the whole reason your using airbnb becuase you dont want to pay bills just like a hotel, imagine if you checked out of a hotel and they gave you an electric and water bill? lol

I have used an AirBnB listing in Thailand where it stated that water and electricity were extra. But they didn't ask for any kind of cash deposit. We checked the meter together on check in and I paid them cash on check out. Fine by me, as the overall cost was entirely reasonable. Something like 5 baht per kW.h. was charged.

Another listing requested a US$300 deposit in cash. What an idiot.  His listings have all been removed.

1 hour ago, Thungrat said:

If you report they will tell you that they help you, but do nothing then protect the landlord. Happend to me. They will offer you another accomodation, thats it. They don´t care if the new accomodation is double the price, in complitly another location and you don´t have someting to stay till then. Happend to me. Stay away from them.

Not in my case. Though I didn't actually book, they added a credit voucher to my account. I've also noted that all of the vendor's listings have been removed. I don't know if they removed them voluntarily or AirBnB have suspended their listings. They certainly didn't protect them, but at least gave them many opportunities to respond.

I understand that it is different if you are actually on site and hope for immediate resolution. To be fair, that isn't the fault of AirBnB, as they don't actually supply the accommodation. Do you think that the outcome would be different via Booking.com or similar?

It's up to you to get the best from of the system, whilst protecting yourself to the best of your ability.

I don't like some of their practices, at outlined earlier. So I do my best to avoid some of their ridiculous fees, whilst at the same time, retaining the best of what the system has to offer.

3 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Exactly what happened to me, both in Hawaii and Udon, paid via Air BnB but when checking in had to make a deposit, and pay electricity and water - 

in the case of Udon, I had to pay up front, no receipt was given, management was absent as it was a week after Songkran and of course the toilet seat was broken, so for a weeks stay I owed 800 baht for electricity, (this was a bungalow) and I had to buy a new toilet seat (that was a setup) 900 baht.  I contemplated taking a shit on the bed before leaving, but refrained.

In Hawaii I had to pay Electricity, Water, deposit, cleaning but at least the place advertised that and I knew it up front, what I didn't know was how much, wound up to by about $450 for a one month stay extra.  

Don't think I will be using Air BnB again any time soon.

You didn't have to do any of those things. When I arrive, I do a quick walk around and take pictures of any damaged items. I then inform the host via the AirBnB system. Once you have done that, AirBnB will always side with you in any dispute.

Also, if there is no mention of cash deposit in the listing, don't pay one. Move along. AirBnB will refund you fully.

If there is a cash deposit mentioned in the listing, inform AirBnB. Contrary to your assertion, they do care. But you need to know how to use the system so as not to get rolled over by incompetent or dishonest hosts.

• Thanks 1

I use AirBnb a lot in several countries. I think AirBnb knows there are some hosts that are no good and relay on a customer to complain before they can cull them from their system. They will not hesitate to make things right with a customer when a problem occurs. So, other than a hassle, you will get your $$ back.

I have had only a very few bad experiences and will continue to use AirBnb for most of my travel. I used them once in BKK and had no problem. Read the cancel policy and customer reviews before picking. Email the host and ask questions! Leaves you with an email record you can use if there are problems later.

Thanks for the replies all and hopefully stopped a few from being a plonker like me,... I know in a condo I used to rent in Bangkok in the lifts they had a big sign stating any condo owner caught using airbnb would be evicted or along those lines anyway... seemed pretty tight onit. If I bought a condo, I guess I would'nt want different neighbours every week neither... to those saying simply contact airbnb when you arrive and they will sort it, doubt they would really and when youve just driven 900km with a 2 year old you really dont want that hassle. Regarding pressing the refund button, through the app I was only entitled to the booking fee of £20 as it was a booking for over 28 days? not sure of the ins and outs but bassicly it did require a call to airbnb plus obviously they read the message feed to get the refund granted... if this chat had been over the phone or face to face airbnb might need more time to see they have asked for cash upfront... but yeah I am sure 90% of the hosts are safe but good to be safe, think I will stick to agoda for short stays, cheers all

3 hours ago, ryanhull said:

but yeah I am sure 90% of the hosts are safe but good to be safe,

I am very happy with AirBNB, I have stayed from 1 week to 1 month all over Thailand, in CM, Pattaya and Bangkok. 

But you always have to check the conditions , some of the owners are asking for more and are trying to break the rules. I found some Russian owners in Pattaya that wanted to charge for deposit and electricity .  

But as long as everything is clear you should have no problems.  In CM I rented a nice apartment for 400 baht daily, with kitchen. 

And that is cheaper than any hotel so you can make some great deals on AirBNB. So if I want to stay longer than a few days I always choose AirBNB. 

I am very happy with AirBNB, I have stayed from 1 week to 1 month all over Thailand, in CM, Pattaya and Bangkok. 

But you always have to check the conditions , some of the owners are asking for more and are trying to break the rules. I found some Russian owners in Pattaya that wanted to charge for deposit and electricity .  

But as long as everything is clear you should have no problems.  In CM I rented a nice apartment for 400 baht daily, with kitchen. 
And that is cheaper than any hotel so you can make some great deals on AirBNB. So if I want to stay longer than a few days I always choose AirBNB. 

The problem is you said check the conditions, this is hidden costs cash so wouldn't be in the conditions, I think the key is to message them before you book to confirm no extra costs, 500 bhat a nite is cheap but most offer 60% off on a month so it's not really as cheap as some, say if you pay 10k for the month I think it's 333 bhat a day [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2017 at 5:21 PM, dansbkk said:

The reviews posted by previous AirBnB users provide excellent insight as to the condition of the accommodations.  We never book places that have bad reviews.... 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2017 at 4:39 AM, kg1947 said:

Always use Booking.com , no pre-payment , pay on arrival ,the hotel themselves

i agree ! In fact , i even use an expired credit card number when booking ( a random made up number doesnt work ). Call me paranoid , but i dont have to worry about phony charges , room not as advertised , ect when i arrive . And sometimes ive even got a cheaper cash rate (in asia) when i arrive cuz i havent been charged yet and book through the hotel themselves . Very good experiences with booking.com

• Like 1

On 13/09/2017 at 3:30 AM, JamJar said:

..Plus AirBnB fees are getting ridiculous and their disgusting 3% forex fee cash grab is just another step too far.

I have used AirBnB many times in Bangkok with no issues. It's great for longer stays (1 week+) where hotel cost isn't practical otherwise hotel is probably more convenient. If you stay for a month or more there are some great deals especially if not staying right in the center.

I have always booked relatively new properties, mixture of 1-bedroom and studios, and they have been fantastic. All with great wifi, nice gyms, spacious etc. Usually between $20-28 (USD) per night. You don't always get that with hotels.

A couple of times I had dinner with the host and got to know them. If you can build some trust then you have the opportunity to bypass AirBnb in the future and save some more money. I did a few times. I don't feel bad about it because, as stated above, their 3% forex con is a disgrace. Not sure how they are gettng away with it. You'd of thought the Credit Card companies would be on to them. It should be up to me whether or not to pay in local currency.

• Like 1

I have used AirBnB many times in Bangkok with no issues. It's great for longer stays (1 week+) where hotel cost isn't practical otherwise hotel is probably more convenient. If you stay for a month or more there are some great deals especially if not staying right in the center.

I have always booked relatively new properties, mixture of 1-bedroom and studios, and they have been fantastic. All with great wifi, nice gyms, spacious etc. Usually between $20-28 (USD) per night. You don't always get that with hotels.

A couple of times I had dinner with the host and got to know them. If you can build some trust then you have the opportunity to bypass AirBnb in the future and save some more money. I did a few times. I don't feel bad about it because, as stated above, their 3% forex con is a disgrace. Not sure how they are gettng away with it. You'd of thought the Credit Card companies would be on to them. It should be up to me whether or not to pay in local currency.

Thanks for the reply, your very right about the price, condos with gyms and nice pools for about $20 as you say when you hit the 50% discount or whatever they have going. One thing I was wondering and can't get you on is the whole concept was in most cases you'd stay with your host, I didn't see where it states if your with your host or alone. I would find it pretty weird staying with the owner tbh or any stranger for that matter, similarly I have never understood how people can stay in those hostels not because I think I'm posh or anything just can't get my head around it...especially going to dinner with them fair play mate haha ?? come on spill the beans it's only because it was a fit host lol

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ryanhull said:

Thanks for the reply, your very right about the price, condos with gyms and nice pools for about $20 as you say when you hit the 50% discount or whatever they have going. One thing I was wondering and can't get you on is the whole concept was in most cases you'd stay with your host, I didn't see where it states if your with your host or alone. I would find it pretty weird staying with the owner tbh or any stranger for that matter, similarly I have never understood how people can stay in those hostels not because I think I'm posh or anything just can't get my head around it...especially going to dinner with them fair play mate haha ?? come on spill the beans it's only because it was a fit host lol

I have never shared with anyone in Bangkok. I'm in my thirties and enjoy/need my privacy. Also, sharing with strangers can be stressfull as I'm the type who always worries about not disturbing or offending anyone else.

The price I mentioned was booking for exclusive use so literally your own home. On Airbnb you can filter by Shared Room/Private Room/Entire Home. I always book Entire Home although sometimes I select Private Room as well because the hosts sometimes list it incorrectly. Property prices are generally cheap in Bangkok. Lots of middle-income Thais seem to purchase apartments in new non-luxury condos purely for renting out on AirBnb. I like it as you get way better service and communication than with a hotel.

Usually the only time I meet the host is during check-in when they hand you the key and show you around. Sometimes you never meet the host at all, it's self-check-in meaning they leave the key in the mailbox for you to pick up.

I only sometimes have dinner or lunch with the host. Depends on the host really. Some are just running it as a business whilst others want to do the whole Airbnb experience and want to meet new people and share cultural experiences etc. I never invite the host but if the host invites me then I'm happy to meet them for a drink or meal if I have the time.

I admit, the first host I rented from (Condo near OnNut BTS) was damn hot. And that may have played a part in me accepting her dinner invitation :smile:. I was her first guest and she was very excited to meet me. It was all innocent, promise... She was lovely (way too young for me), a little nervous at first but after a while she wouldn't shut up, told me everything about her life in detail!

Anyway, I digress. I still keep in touch with some of the hosts and I try to book with them directly on return trips as we both save money that way.

• Like 2

I've used AirBnB in the UK, France, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand and The Netherlands. Never had any problems although it  is obvious in some cases that large letting agencies are using the platform to rent out properties - especially condos. I think it is much more difficult with apartments/flats and houses for this to happen. I think you need to 'read between the lines' in terms of property descriptions and reviews. We've mostly rented the whole property as well. I'm too old to do the sharing thing but can imagine for single traveler it might work and indeed might have some advantages.

• 9 months later...
On 9/14/2017 at 1:34 AM, balo said:

The problem is that airbnb is not clear.

Booking.com is a lot better in my opinion.