AMEX at Service Stations?

wimpy

PTT certainly do and probably the other major chains.

AmEx is much more widely accepted here than in many countries although Visa and Mastercard are preferred due to their lower vendor fees.

This would probably do better in Motoring for a broader picture from motorists.

1 minute ago, jaiyen said:

Why would you want to pay more by using an Amex card instead of cash. Or do you like showing off your expensive piece of plastic ?

Huh? Why would you pay more when using a credit card?? I'm paying less because I am getting Starwood points, which are quite valuable.

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

PTT certainly do and probably the other major chains.

AmEx is much more widely accepted here than in many countries although Visa and Mastercard are preferred due to their lower vendor fees.

This would probably do better in Motoring for a broader picture from motorists.

I have tried to use it at a PTT and a Shell here in Lampang. Both major stations on the main highway. No go. Lotus Express won't take it either. Nor will Thai Wasadu or Global House. So far I haven't founs anyone in Thailand that will accept it. Rather disappointing. :(

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

Why would you want to pay more by using an Amex card instead of cash. Or do you like showing off your expensive piece of plastic ?

You pay no more using amex. I use mine for all my shopping at Rimping every week. I use it for hotels when travelling in Thailand. I also use it at both Shell and Esso when buying petrol. I have had a Thai ROP Amex card for maybe 15 years now and because of points I have enjoyed many international flights for free on my points. Makes sense for me to use it :wai:

Before you got 3% discount at Shell when you used AMEX, now they don't accept it. Most other petrol companies accept AMEX.

I pay all I can with my Thai AMEX. The point gives me a trip to Europe in Business Class every year.

That is why I want to pay more by using an Amex card instead of cash Mr Wimpy.

1 minute ago, Hans Rayong said:

Before you got 3% discount at Shell when you used AMEX, now they don't accept it. Most other petrol companies accept AMEX.

I pay all I can with my Thai AMEX. The point gives me a trip to Europe in Business Class every year.

I'm not the one asking why you want to pay with Amex, Mr. Hanz. I know why.

3 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

Please tell me which ones accept Amex?  I want to reach my three month spend, so I get my points bonus. As I said, I have tried Shell and PTT. Neither would take Amex.

I would say that 99% of PTT stations accept AMEX. You have one on Sukhumvit Naklua near Soi 3 that only accept cash. All Esso and Caltex accept AMEX (at least my Thai Platinum AMEX). In Pattaya all stations except Shell and above PTT accept my AMEX. Used AMEX in a gasstation first time in Thailand 1977.

10 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

I would say that 99% of PTT stations accept AMEX. You have one on Sukhumvit Naklua near Soi 3 that only accept cash. All Esso and Caltex accept AMEX (at least my Thai Platinum AMEX). In Pattaya all stations except Shell and above PTT accept my AMEX. Used AMEX in a gasstation first time in Thailand 1977.

We have a huge PTT on the highway between Lampang and Chiang Mai. Surprised they wouldn't take it. Will try some others.

7 hours ago, tryasimight said:

A little of topic but I have noticed most service stations in Oz charge extra (+2-3%) if someone uses Amex compared to Visa or Mastercard....any ideas why this is?

They're passing on the Amex fee to customers. Amex makes a large part of their cash flow from merchant/purchase fees.

theyvalso withhold the trabsaction longer than Visa/MasterCard 

11 hours ago, wimpy said:

I have tried to use it at a PTT and a Shell here in Lampang. Both major stations on the main highway. No go. Lotus Express won't take it either. Nor will Thai Wasadu or Global House. So far I haven't founs anyone in Thailand that will accept it. Rather disappointing. :(

I usually top up at esso and PTT, no problems with amex. lotus and lotus express in many locations also accepted my amex. Tops, central and many other big chains - no problems. It's usually the small businesses that accept only visa/master or no cc at all

11 hours ago, tryasimight said:

A little of topic but I have noticed most service stations in Oz charge extra (+2-3%) if someone uses Amex compared to Visa or Mastercard....any ideas why this is?

If I get cash in, I have the money. If people pay with mastercard/visa, the bank charges me in total almost 4%. If paying with Amex, the bank charges me almost 10%.