Tourist Visa To Australia

Hi

Just wondering if it's difficult for a Thai national to apply for a tourist Visa to Australia?

I read the info given on the Australian embassy, it seems really complicating....have to show bank book, employment letter etc....

My Thai friend and I are going on a holiday to Australia...but as far as I remember, I'm quite sure the last time i went to Australia for a holiday and applied a Tourist Visa, i didn't have to show those documentations like bank book and employment letter. I don't hold a Thai passport, so all I did was to pass my passport to the travel agent and I got the Visa very quickly!

Are the requirements for Thai people tougher??

you bet they are mate!

we dont want thais coming to aus and not going home.

so we just make sure they cant come in the first place.....

good thinking ehh what!!

p.s.

refer to other thread about how difficult it is and how racially based it all is.

Zen, read through the numerous other threads in this forum about Tourist Visas. The process is straight forward.

If a Thai National is employed and can prove that they have sufficient funds/income to support their stay in Australia, and can provide a valid reason for returning to Thailand, they should have no problem in obtaining a tourist visa.

If their funds are not adequate they will need the assistance of a sponsor. The onus will then be upon the sponsor to prove that sufficient funds exist to cover all expenses of the Thai's visit.

An employers letter will prove that the Thai is employed, is paid a certain wage and that the job will remain open until the employee returns from Australia. This letter is the strong proof that the Embassy seeks.

A Thai bank book should show a steady saving rate. Not a one off deposit made by a friend to boost the bottom line.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

Hi

Just wondering if it's difficult for a Thai national to apply for a tourist Visa to Australia?

No, its very very easy for anyone to apply for a visa to go to any country, including Thais going to Oz.

But its a little bit harder for Thais to get a visa granted to go to Oz.

Applying is easy, just make sure you read the website and lodge a COMPLETE application!

My wife (only friend of 2 months when we first applied) got a tourist visa to Oz with no money and no questions, and just recently she got a spouse visa approved in one day, so I believe the entire Oz visa process is very easy. Good luck.

Edited by aussiestyle1983

Having been through the process for my Thai a number of times and having been rejected the first time and got it reversed, you do need to do a thorough job of it and reading all the threads on the subject is manadatory if you want to be successful.

Many posts don't mention the underlying issue which controls and that is "A compelling reason to return to Thailand". The burden of proof is on the applicant. The Immigration Officer is mandated to consider the application in the light that the applicant will NOT return to Thailand and if is up to the applicant to turn that mindset around.

It is largely a sales job but so often, those who do not understand the underlying issues, pay no attention to the difference between the boyfriend being an Aussie living in Australia vs. an Aussie living in Thailand in retirement, for instance. Clearly, in such a case, the motivation to overstay in Australia is much stronger in one case than the other.

Rejection is one of the strongest producers of anger so be not surprised at the posts from the rejected.

My wife (non-Thai) and I (also a farang) were finally able to get an Australian visa for our Thai friend after several phone calls from the Bangkok Australian embassy. The embassy officials were all very polite and helpful (unlike the BKK American embassy staff, which are generally rude and insulting) and called us at their expense to ask for additional paperwork a couple of times.

It appeared that the main concern was 1. Our friend's employment status (she was between jobs at the time) even despite the fact that we had included a letter of guarantee stating that my wife and I would pay for her trip with us; and 2. The fact that she had an empty, recently acquired Thai passport. After getting the Australian Visa stamp things seemed to go much smoother with subsequent applications.

As was stated by another writer, it appears that the Australian embassy staff are instructed to take the position of 'assume the Thai applicant will want to stay in Australia' but, thankfully, they are also open-minded and reasonable.

P.S. Our friend ultimately has been able to travel with us to Australia, NZ, Malaysia, Lao, Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Maccau, Japan...but NOT the U.S!!?? Despite three attempts, the reason being given that she '...is an unmarried, young, female Thai, therefore MUST BE trying to stay in the U.S.' (this was verbally stated to her, in Thai, by a Thailand-born U.S. embassy employee and despite written guarantees of employment in Thailand, armloads of supporting documentation, etc., etc.) Sorry if I sound bitter, but the U.S. Bangkok :o embassy has lost my respect.

Edited by sigmondfreed

Hi

I read the info given on the Australian embassy, it seems really complicating....have to show bank book, employment letter etc....

My Thai friend and I are going on a holiday to Australia...but as far as I remember, I'm quite sure the last time i went to Australia for a holiday and applied a Tourist Visa, i didn't have to show those documentations like bank book and employment letter. I don't hold a Thai passport, so all I did was to pass my passport to the travel agent and I got the Visa very quickly!

I take it you are not a resident of Australia...and therefore you will both be applying for a visitors visa ??

It is not impossible...follow MM's advice...Your visa maybe easier to get than your friend's. Depending on what countries passport you will be travelling on.

If you are going to provide support for your friend then you will need to show evidence of funds sufficient for both of you for the duration of your stay, also write a letter stating that you will be supporting your friend financially and that you will be travelling together...If not, as MM said, Your friend will need to provide evidence of funds on their own behalf.

If your friend is working, then a letter from your friends employer as mentioned before. If your friend is not working then you will need to sponsor the friend or they will have no chance at obtaining a visa.

I would also, for your friends application, give evidence of the length of time you have known each other, Photos, letters etc... This is to show the Embassy that you have had a friendship for a reasonable period of time.

For your application, you will need to show proof of funds, secure employment in your country or the country you are working in, a letter from your boss would help also. Once again it depends upon which countries passport you are travelling on.

Hope that this is of assistance

Saying you are going to support/ sponsor someone isn't so good. They will take the line, what if something happens to you - illness, end of friendship etc.

The person going for the visa needs to show they are independently with funds.

If the relationship ends....put her on the first flight home....everything else you would do for your intended....that is why they need evidence of the sponsors income to allow for illness etc....

There is no need for an applicant to have funds of their own if the sponsor earns enough to cover it.

I notice on the tourist visa application form that there is the option of 3 ,6 or 12 months.

Is it easier to get the 3 month visa than the 12 month or is it better to go for broke?

I also read that documents need to be translated into English? Does that mean a Thai land title needs to be translated into English?

Finally how thorough is the process procedure as the Thai national that is applying overstayed for five years in Japan back in the late nineties? Will this be recorded?

Cheers

You should apply for the tourist visa that offers the length of time that best suits your needs. If the applicant is coming to Australia for a specific reason that may require a stay of 6 or 12 months, the reason for travelling should be clearly stated in the application form and elaborated upon in the covering letter.

Unfortunately applicants have little to no control over this decision. You have to take what you are given.

Many applicants have been pleasantly surprised when they receive a 12 month multiple entry visa.

I can't see any reason why you would need to include a Thai land title deed in a tourist visa application, unless you are using this as the reason for returning to Thailand or showing it as a means to prove financial independence.

If there is a necessity to include it, then it may need to be translated and certified. It doesn't cost the earth to have it translated and if it strengthens the application, then get it done.

With regard to the applicant overstaying her visa to Japan, I can't answer your question with any certainty.

The five years overstay would be recorded by the Japanese but whether their records are accessed by the Australian authorities, I wouldn't know.

MM

Thanks for your reply.

The land title is needed for the tourist application as the applicant has no savings nor any job so I believe this is needed to give some guarantee that the applicant will return to Thailand.

I have already made a stat dec saying that i will pay for everything and included a bank statement that is signed and stamped by the bank as to available funds. In addition have WU transfers dating back over two years plus photos.

Hopefully this will be enough.

Tolley,

It sounds like this is the start of a long term relationship. In that case you should present as much evidence to the Embassy that you can to prove 'genuine relationship'.

Whatever you give them for a tourist visa can be used again for any subsequent Spouse Visa.

In addition to the Land Title Deed, you should assure the Embassy that she will return to Thailand at the completion of her Tourist Visa, that she will not seek or engage in any employment whilst in Oz and that you have sufficient funds to support her stay.

All this information should be submitted by you in your covering letter, with proofs of your earnings/savings etc. attached.

She should also write a covering letter (or you write it, explain it to her and have her sign it.) giving the same assurances.

Once the first Tourist Visa has been approved, the second and third Tourist Visas are virtually assured.

By that time you should know if you both have a future together and should be in a position to submit a strong Spouse Visa application.

Good luck.

MM

Thanks for your reply.

The land title is needed for the tourist application as the applicant has no savings nor any job so I believe this is needed to give some guarantee that the applicant will return to Thailand.

I have already made a stat dec saying that i will pay for everything and included a bank statement that is signed and stamped by the bank as to available funds. In addition have WU transfers dating back over two years plus photos.

The title deed probably wont be needed as you have declared you are sponsoring her...there is a part of the application that needs your details on it as a funds provider or sponsor. Along with the stat dec stating that you will ensure that she will abide by her visa conditions. That means you are making a legally bound declaration that she will not overstay. However....the land title will strengthen the application.

You will need to provide proof of income...for example..payslips or a letter from your boss or if self employed, your accountant. A bank statement on its own doesnt hold as much weight.

With what you have mentioned as supporting documents, this should be enough for a tourist visa...you could also include phone bills and any letters written as well.

Saying you are going to support/ sponsor someone isn't so good. They will take the line, what if something happens to you - illness, end of friendship etc.

The person going for the visa needs to show they are independently with funds.

If the relationship ends....put her on the first flight home....everything else you would do for your intended....that is why they need evidence of the sponsors income to allow for illness etc....

There is no need for an applicant to have funds of their own if the sponsor earns enough to cover it.

This is not true.

I have more than enough funds to sponsor my Thai girlfriend (at the time) to Australia. We completed 3 well researched applications and she was rejected each time.

Reason: at risk of overstay.

Your post sugests that if the sponsor is rich enough then there should be no problems. This is absolutely not true.

I have substacial assets and offered to sponsor my friend on each occation.

It is all about the applicant, if they believe in any way that the applicant is a risk of overstay then the visa will be denied.

This is not true.

I have more than enough funds to sponsor my Thai girlfriend (at the time) to Australia. We completed 3 well researched applications and she was rejected each time.

Your post sugests that if the sponsor is rich enough then there should be no problems. This is absolutely not true.

I have substacial assets and offered to sponsor my friend on each occation.

It is all about the applicant, if they believe in any way that the applicant is a risk of overstay then the visa will be denied.

Not at all.....I said if the sponsor EARNS enough....not if he is rich....thats why they want to see proof of INCOME..not savings or assets. They cannot determine from where you gained your assets or your savings...but they can determine from payslips that you earn enough to support the applicant and that you have legitimate employment.

As I have said before...I listed my girl as unemployed and she showed an ATM receipt with 6000 baht in it, I did not show a bank account...she was granted first time...My friend did exactly the same and his girl was granted first time. Since then I know of two other couples who have done the same...no problem.

Another point I will make is that the application is looked at as a whole not just individual sections....So....Apart from payslips etc...a Statutory Declaration is considered by the Immigration and the Embassy to be a legally binding document, a letter is not....so if you declare that you will ensure the applicant will abide by the visa conditions and you understand the penalties for making a false declaration, then you are personally guaranteeing that applicant will not overstay...If she does you could be liable for a fine of $10,000 and/or 3 years in Jail...Unlikely to happen but it does carry weight.

For a tourist visa the receiving girl at the VFS sees the applicant for a brief period of time...How can she determine that the applicant is a candidate to overstay in such a short time...She cant.....so therefore if the application fails then it must be due to a failure to supply convincing enough supporting documentation or that the applicant has a history of some sort that was not declared.

MM

Thanks for your reply.

The title deed probably wont be needed as you have declared you are sponsoring her...there is a part of the application that needs your details on it as a funds provider or sponsor. Along with the stat dec stating that you will ensure that she will abide by her visa conditions. That means you are making a legally bound declaration that she will not overstay. However....the land title will strengthen the application.

You will need to provide proof of income...for example..payslips or a letter from your boss or if self employed, your accountant. A bank statement on its own doesnt hold as much weight.

With what you have mentioned as supporting documents, this should be enough for a tourist visa...you could also include phone bills and any letters written as well.

I am a self employed consultant working thru a management company. I have electronic payslips which i could print and submit. I also have a copy of my uipcoming contract. Do these need to be verified somehow? I am now in thailand so that may difficult?

MM

Thanks for your reply.

I am a self employed consultant working thru a management company. I have electronic payslips which i could print and submit. I also have a copy of my uipcoming contract. Do these need to be verified somehow? I am now in thailand so that may difficult?

The printed payslips should be fine...6 months worth would be ideal but if not then as many as you can.

"At risk of overstay" has nothing to do with funds.

It seems quite apparent by the rejection reason that this aspect of the Tourist Visa application was not adequately addressed.

You are correct is stating that providing this assurance is "all about the applicant". If the applicant, together with the sponsors support, are unable to provide a compelling reason for the applicant to return to Thailand at the expiration of the visa, rejection of application is assured.