Are people who use smart phones smarter?

amvet

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Any free wi-fi signal available for a laptop is equally available for a smartphone. Examples might include your apartment, restaurant, cafe, gymnasium, massage shop and so on.

Err... All of those places charge you. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

In the UK libraries are about the only places internet is actually free. I don't think what AV's girlfriend gets up to would be welcome in a library, or what he does for that matter.

My apartment does not have "free internet" and if it did it is all part of the rent or service charge.

What does confuse me is why you are supporting this guy in a crazy statement that smart phone users are smarter. Smarter than what, Yogi Bear? And then tells us he doesn't have a smart phone.

I think this whole thread was started by a Troll just trying to get noticed.

See you on another topic Bill.

:sleep:

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Err... All of those places charge you. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

In the UK libraries are about the only places internet is actually free. I don't think what AV's girlfriend gets up to would be welcome in a library, or what he does for that matter.

My apartment does not have "free internet" and if it did it is all part of the rent or service charge.

What does confuse me is why you are supporting this guy in a crazy statement that smart phone users are smarter. Smarter than what, Yogi Bear? And then tells us he doesn't have a smart phone.

I think this whole thread was started by a Troll just trying to get noticed.

See you on another topic Bill.

:sleep:

No they do not charge you. Where did you get that dud information from? As for the apartment most places do not make a separate charge these days for using the wi-fi. It is available whether you use it or not. Slam dunk evidence that some dumb phone users are not so smart

Just now, SheungWan said:

No they do not charge you. Where did you get that dud information from? As for the apartment most places do not make a separate charge these days for using the wi-fi. It is available whether you use it or not. Slam dunk evidence that some dumb phone users are not so smart

Last comment:

Are you really that thick?

It might not show on the bill, like a swimming pool, but you still pay.

Free Wi-Fi in Star#ucks, how much is a coffee? If you sat in a coffee shop all day and bought one drink and used the wi-fi to jerk off or make a sex show they would kick you out or have you arrested.

You need a reality check my friend.

No More Nonsense.

Just now, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Last comment:

Are you really that thick?

It might not show on the bill, like a swimming pool, but you still pay.

Free Wi-Fi in Star#ucks, how much is a coffee? If you sat in a coffee shop all day and bought one drink and used the wi-fi to jerk off or make a sex show they would kick you out or have you arrested.

You need a reality check my friend.

No More Nonsense.

No it doesn't show on the bill and nor do I spend all day in a coffeeshop. BTW, if you knew about these things you would know that Starbucks access to wifi is time constrained. What we do know for sure is that the charge for a coffee or massage or meal in any of the mentioned places is exactly the same for smartphone user or dumb phone user, so less of the attempted pedantics please. The same goes for my apartment wi-fi. Same rental whether the wi-fi is used or not, so no discount for only having a dumb phone. As for the silly reference to sex, not very impressive George.

What I do find on my daily wanders is that for a part of that time I am out of range of a wi-fi signal or sometimes there is a wi-fi signal but it is too weak for a decent connection. That's where the AIS 89 baht weekly data package kicks in. (I assume DTAC and the others do something similar).

40 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

My teacher Brit neighbor has free wi-fi. He picks up my wi-fi signal and I gave him my password.

34 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Like Penny in TBBT.

But somebody pays, you not Sheldon.

If one pays for a broadband connection in one's apartment for a laptop/PC internet connection and one has a wi-fi router then the monthly charge is exactly the same if one connects additional up additional wi-fi enabled devices eg a smartphone or the neighbour's whatever. No discount for dumb phone George. Or maybe you still go to the internet shop to make your emails so its all over your head anyway? (Is this like having a conversation with someone out of Last of The Summer Wine or what?)

Edited by SheungWan

I swim several days a week with my my face down in the pool for up to an hour. Even though the club has wi-fi, unless they had a fully submersible smart phone (if such really exist), they would be without connection for up to hour.

These days, I guess some couldn't handle that.

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

So you have free wi-fi ? Pray tell how you get that...

You live here legally now and not in a nanny state.

Are you really in Thailand or Cloud Cuckoo Land?

Wife or girlfriend: "I have a girlfriend who uses her phone to make money (she is a model and gets paid for letting people watch her on her smartphone)".

:cheesy:

At least 23000 spots for free wifi in Bangkok and thousands all over Thailand.  Come visit Thailand some time.  A lot of us here have a wife and a couple of girlfriends.  

I have 3bb fiber optical at home for my computer and that also provides 4 LAN connections (for the Smart TV and wife's computers) and wifi anywhere in the house for the same price as computer hook up alone.   

Yesterday I was at the hospital for my cholesterol check and the hospital provides free wi fi  while I waited for the results of the tests.

Edited by amvet

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

I swim several days a week with my my face down in the pool for up to an hour. Even though the club has wi-fi, unless they had a fully submersible smart phone (if such really exist), they would be without connection for up to hour.

These days, I guess some couldn't handle that.

Galaxy S8 .  My Galaxy S5 has made it through 3 Songkrans.

submersible.jpg

I have two AIS numbers and my wife has 2 DTAC numbers they can also be used as a backup if 3bb's fiber optic goes down.  You just hit the tethering button and/or mobile hotspot or usb to your computer and you are back up again.  Squirrels chew the fiber optic cable and it goes down a couple times a year where I live.

Edited by amvet

Just now, JLCrab said:

Great -- so next when you swim for an hour you can stay connected. That should be fun to see.

I think you are missing the point.  It is fun to use a smart phone.  It is not a chore to stay connected it is something most people want to do as it gives continuity to what you may be doing regardless of time and place.  

No I think some people are so used to being permanently connected that they have spasms when they are not. I am connected when I am at home, connected if I go out and choose to bring a smart phone with me in Thailand which is a rare occurrence, and have no problem going for hours everyday when I am out with nothing but a NOKIA G2.

20 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

No I think some people are so used to being permanently connected that they have spasms when they are not. I am connected when I am at home, connected if I go out and choose to bring a smart phone with me in Thailand which is a rare occurrence, and have no problem going for hours everyday when I am out with nothing but a NOKIA G2.

It's like Captain Kirk.  I push my little button on my Sony SBH52 (waterproof) and give it commands of what to do or who to call or it answers an incoming call and is about the size of a Startrek communicator.  I don't take my smartphone out of my bag.  It is no more trouble for me to stay in touch with all the people I want to the same as it was for Captain Kirk. 

star.jpg

Edited by amvet

On 9/17/2017 at 2:47 PM, SheungWan said:

All that dumb phone users have shown in this thread is old man stubbornness masquerading somewhat at times as new age gibberish

Where do you get the idea that these 'old' men all have dumb phones? I certainly don't ...I have a smart phone.

The question was 'are people who use smart phones, smarter'?. the answer is a simple no!

Rattling off usage or predicted usage statistics is nonsense. Just because more people use something does not equate to them being smarter.Television has a huge, a massive market penetration. Does that mean all television viewers have a PhD? No of course it doesn't....same principle with smart phone usage.

My 3 year old granddaughter can navigate the basics of a 'smart' phone (I wish people would stop using that term, these days they are simply just a phone, it's only 'old' people who use that term) quite easily - opening photos and videos. Doesn't make her smart, just makes her able to use the technology of the day, as will most kids growing up with what they see as 'normal'.

It only seems to be older people who get excited about 'smart' phones.

Im 61 and a phone is a phone. It has a few nice features, but gee ,whoop-de-do, it's hardly worth carrying on like an Evangelist about them.

Unless of course the person has never been exposed to any form of technology previously.

Edited by tryasimight

On 9/17/2017 at 3:29 PM, amvet said:

I said a Thai public hospital because they prioritize who gets them and they are not used for everyone.  Sounds to me like you are in the dark ages as my doctors all use at least 3 smartphones/appliances during any consultation.  The blood tests are all done by computer and the billing and record keeping is all done by computer as is much of the diagnostic work and done better than it was by a live physician because they can access more information and information is the key to success in almost any field of endeavor.  Using a smart phone keeps me mentally nimble and I can do it on my feet.  

I disagree that information is the key to success in almost any field of endeavour. Information is collection of data. To make it useful it has to be turned into knowledge....only a person can do that.

This is one problem with the internet - too much information - much of it unverified , or as they say these days 'fake news' yet people will believe it.

Anyone and everyone can put information out there, for good or bad.

Witness the rise of the conspiracy theorists who believe the world is flat (insert any other theory of your choice). Plenty of on this subject information out there, and sadly some of it cleverly distorted to sound almost plausible. Then we have the anti vaxxers......

On 9/18/2017 at 8:06 AM, SheungWan said:

So normal these days where arguments between expats are resolved by the one with the smartphone looking up the issue in dispute, while the dumb dumb phone user sits there like a useless lemon.

There you have it folks.....the 'smart' ones have to use the phone to resolve an issue....not so smart after all.

Perhaps the dumb phone user actually has some intelligence and does not need to run to the internet to have a rational, intelligent discussion.

It certainly does not support the premise that smart phone users are smarter.

20 hours ago, amvet said:

Allow me to express my opinion.  The question, "Is it raining."  Valid answer, "Of course it's raining you idiot, look outside."  Non valid answer, "You don't have enough sense to know if it's raining."  You see the difference.  Both are insults but only one is on topic. 

The smart person would look out of the window.The dumb one would look at a weather app on his phone.

You make a very, very good point with respect to this thread.

Just now, tryasimight said:

There you have it folks.....the 'smart' ones have to use the phone to resolve an issue....not so smart after all.

Perhaps the dumb phone user actually has some intelligence and does not need to run to the internet to have a rational, intelligent discussion.

It certainly does not support the premise that smart phone users are smarter.

No, there is an argument and the reference can be looked up. Nothing to do with one side being rational and the other not.

16 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

This is one problem with the internet - too much information - much of it unverified , or as they say these days 'fake news' yet people will believe it.

Anyone and everyone can put information out there, for good or bad.

Witness the rise of the conspiracy theorists who believe the world is flat (insert any other theory of your choice). Plenty of on this subject information out there, and sadly some of it cleverly distorted to sound almost plausible. Then we have the anti vaxxers......

Searching for and evaluating information is a given. Using that as an excuse not to undertake the research is really dumb.

12 hours ago, amvet said:

Since I'm a retired guy I don't do anything that's not fun.  That's why I moved to Thailand.  My smartphone use is at least 60% for pure unadulterated entertainment and sex - so I'd say your wife is the smart one. 

So it's basically a toy.

I'm surprised this thread has gone so long without someone starting with the 'my phones bigger and smarter than yours' dribble.

14 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

The smart person would look out of the window.The dumb one would look at a weather app on his phone.

You make a very, very good point with respect to this thread.

My daughter looked out the window and said, "Dad, looks like a nice day outside but it's a good thing I looked at the weather app so I know there is a hurricane coming."  Was my daughter dumb?  I wonder if some dumb sailor said the same thing about not checking and resetting the barometer? 

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

You think anything in Thailand is free? About the only thing free (for you) is airconditioning in shopping malls unless you actually buy something. Everything else, one way or another, is being paid for by you or another customer.

You aren't very business savvy are you.

Would you remove the cost of rent, lighting, air conditioning  and wifi/internet connection from a business costing if you ran a foot massage place? Only charge for the massage and absorb the rest? . Trust me you are paying for it in the total cost of the service.

You wouldn't be in business long.

Now that is really dumb.

50 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Where do you get the idea that these 'old' men all have dumb phones? I certainly don't ...I have a smart phone.

The question was 'are people who use smart phones, smarter'?. the answer is a simple no!

Rattling off usage or predicted usage statistics is nonsense. Just because more people use something does not equate to them being smarter.Television has a huge, a massive market penetration. Does that mean all television viewers have a PhD? No of course it doesn't....same principle with smart phone usage.

My 3 year old granddaughter can navigate the basics of a 'smart' phone (I wish people would stop using that term, these days they are simply just a phone, it's only 'old' people who use that term) quite easily - opening photos and videos. Doesn't make her smart, just makes her able to use the technology of the day, as will most kids growing up with what they see as 'normal'.

It only seems to be older people who get excited about 'smart' phones.

Im 61 and a phone is a phone. It has a few nice features, but gee ,whoop-de-do, it's hardly worth carrying on like an Evangelist about them.

Unless of course the person has never been exposed to any form of technology previously.

No. Not all old men have dumb phones but vice versa applies. No, it is not just a phone. A dumb phone is just a phone. a smartphone is more a computer.

8 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

So it's basically a toy.

I'm surprised this thread has gone so long without someone starting with the 'my phones bigger and smarter than yours' dribble.

My phone is a toy.  My car is a toy.  My sailboat is a toy.  My computer is a toy (I just finished building a gaming computer).  You sound like the dour Scot that was married to my last girlfriend.