Married in Thailand, Divorce in Australia

hetshin

Hey guys, my school friend is having a huge problem. She is in Australia on a student visa and came with her husband. They both from Thailand and they got married there. They are having different problems, he treated her so badly till she got tired. She decided to move out.

My question is: - Can they get divorced in Australia? 

- She has the main visa, he is on a partner visa. Do they have to inform migration about it even though they are just separated ? and what will happen with her and his visa?

Thanks, look forward to your comments. 

Always two sides to the coin, perhaps she should go back to Thailand, as Australia is already paying a hefty price for everyone else coming and divorcing and then going onto CentreLink welfare benefits, while the tax payer pays once again.

Should be mandatory in my opinion, you marry and come over, ok, you divorce and want to stay, then no welfare, too easy to milk the system, not saying that's the case here.

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Always two sides to the coin, perhaps she should go back to Thailand, as Australia is already paying a hefty price for everyone else coming and divorcing and then going onto CentreLink welfare benefits, while the tax payer pays once again.

Should be mandatory in my opinion, you marry and come over, ok, you divorce and want to stay, then no welfare, too easy to milk the system, not saying that's the case here.

Seems you are talking about a foreigner marrying an Australian in order to get to Australia and then divorcing and staying.

I think you should read the OP again and try to understand what was written there as it has nothing to do with your scenario .... 

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Seems you are talking about a foreigner marrying an Australian in order to get to Australia and then divorcing and staying.

I think you should read the OP again and try to understand what was written there as it has nothing to do with your scenario .... 

I read it again as you suggested, in my opinion it is poorly written and confusing to say the least, although I did miss the part that they were both from Thailand, but it gets confusing when: 

On 14/09/2017 at 0:34 AM, hetshin said:

She is in Australia on a student visa and came with her husband. They both from Thailand and they got married there.

On 14/09/2017 at 0:34 AM, hetshin said:

She has the main visa, he is on a partner visa.

First she has a student visa, then she has the main visa and he has a partner visa.

I she saying they are both Thai's immigrating to Australia and now she wants to divorce him in Australia, but was married in Thailand ?

You are correct in what I was saying earlier, suffice to say that I have seen some and heard of many Thai women coming to Australia, getting married and then flicking the husband as soon as they get their permanent residency, although they now have changed the rules to 4 year instead of the previous 2 year rule, this can have a weight on the Australian tax payer if she has delivered a couple of kids and earns cash money, hence the system is bleeding and should have some kind of provision, i.e. if it doesn't work out, you have to support yourself and the kids, I know this sounds harsh, but one of the reasons I left Australia is because I was sick and tired of my tax dollars going to CentreLink to feed everyone sponging off of it, and I don't say that lightly, never a day on it personally and sickens me to the core, knowing people personally ripping the system off, and as you can see, has opened up a can of worms, don't know why, as I am here living a good life and making tax free dollars from back in Australia.

Back to enjoying life here, whatever 555 

Edited by 4MyEgo