Whats Your Worst Car In The World ?

undercover

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a Hyundai elantra for about 3 weeks way back when , my "normal" car had gotten stolen and I needed wheels until the insurance paid up.

Bought it for $200. !!! and it was the worst piece of shit. Ended up leaving it on the side of a major highway after it broke down, lucky I had a screwdriver to take my plates off of and rip off the vin. # tags .

In the 70's, the U.S. automakers were so desperate to keep up with Japanese made compacts, during the fuel crisis, that the big two came out with the Vega (GM) and the Pinto (Ford)

The Vega was by far the worst of the two. I honestly don't know of one that lasted more that 50,000 miles.

I called them "disposable cars" at the time. Appropriately, the word Vega means "won't go" in Spanish.

This is where many die hard "buy american" proponents were converted to "buy quality" wherever you may find it. LoL

In the 70's, the U.S. automakers were so desperate to keep up with Japanese made compacts, during the fuel crisis, that the big two came out with the Vega (GM) and the Pinto (Ford)

The Vega was by far the worst of the two. I honestly don't know of one that lasted more that 50,000 miles.

I called them "disposable cars" at the time. Appropriately, the word Vega means "won't go" in Spanish.

This is where many die hard "buy american" proponents were converted to "buy quality" wherever you may find it. LoL

Sorry, but Vega doesn't mean "won't go" in Spanish. Spanish is my second language and I can't think of a close meaning to Vega for that.

I have heard and read many times things about the Ford Pinto as an absolute disaster but never really seen one or had anyone talk of first hand experience about it.

Sorry, but Vega doesn't mean "won't go" in Spanish. Spanish is my second language and I can't think of a close meaning to Vega for that.

I have heard and read many times things about the Ford Pinto as an absolute disaster but never really seen one or had anyone talk of first hand experience about it.

Sorry, but if Spanish was your 1st language, you would know that vega means "dweller in meadow" which in certain parts of south america is slang for squatter/trespasser/or someone who WON'T GO

Vauxhall, the UK arm of GM, used to produce a small car in the UK named Nova which is Spanish for 'won't go' and was named Corsa for the European market.

Michael804 vega- fertile valley. Cannot comment on it being regional slang for 'won't go' apart from to say it seems far-fetched even with a fertile imagination!

pop3 - the sporty versions were the MG110, MG1300 and MG1300GT, posher models were Riley, Wolseley & Vanden Plas.

I had an early Morris 1100 (early '63, registration number VDJ 120), not the worst car I ever had but it did have a big design flaw. Driving home one cold, icy December night, the accelerator cable snapped and instead of shutting power off it opened the carb fully - I was only in not far from home and got home safely.

I hate to say it, the mere thought gives me shudders, but the Trabby takes first place with no close seconds. The only car to be considered hazardous waste even when scrapped. It was a complete horror on wheels. There are a few clubs trying to keep some alive just to scare children I think but for the most part they are banned worldwide by civilized societies.

Had a Wartburg 312 station car once...

3-cilinder 1000 cc 2 stroke engine, guzzled fuel and 2 stroke oil like there was no tomorrow, along with clouds of stinkin smoke and a terrible racket...

Engine revved up nicely though :o

Fortunately I didn't own it but my then girlfriend bought a new Hyundai. It was in the shop much more than it was on the road. That was about 1988. She finally went to the bank and told them that she needed a car that would take her back and forth to work and not be broke down all the time. She told them that she didn't want to damage her credit by losing her job and not be able to make the payments. The bank actually forced the dealer to take back the lemon and allowed her to buy another car OTHER than a Hyundai.

I dont know if I should thank you or not gpt for jogging my memories of those MG saloons, When I was very small my Aunty used to take me to visit my grandmother in her austin 1100, I was sick every time, something to do with the motion of that suspension, years later I had to travel to school in another 1100 driven by my friends farther, again if I sat in the back I would be sick, if an 1100 was my only drive these days I would take a bart buss.

My worst used car: 1959 Renault Dauphine (engine in rear)

Someone bumped me from behind, and the motor fell out of the car. We pushed the car off to the side of the road, then went back and dragged the motor off the road after it.

In 1967, I paid $100 for the used car and drove it one year before the motor-loss incident. Guess I got my money's worth out of it. Thanks, France.

My worst new car: 1980 Dodge Omni

After making the downpayment, and signing the papers, I drove it off the new car dealer lot, only to break down on the expressway 10 minutes later. Had to be towed back to the dealer.

I decided it was a one-time fluke, and stuck with it. Bad decision.

After that, the car overheated every time I had to wait at a traffic light. The air conditioning also overheated the motor. The lights turned on and off of their own accord (always at inappropriate times, of course).

I took it back over 15 times under warrantee for them to fix. After the warrantee expired, Dodge dealer said, "sorry, it's your baby now to fix!" despite the fact I obviously was sold a lemon. Not enough money for a lawyer to sue, so I lived with it (actually a living death). One decision I also stuck with: never to buy Dodge again.

Despite all the bad press about Ford Pintos, my sis had one. It was her first car. Our family owned about 5 vehicles, all of them worth four times the value of her Pinto. Unfortunately, all of them broke down, but sis's little Pinto kept running, and we all had to borrow her car from time to time to stay mobile. It was embarassing.

After she had it about four years, I asked her one day, "How often do you change your oil, Sis?"

Her response, "You're supposed to change the oil?"

After that, her rationale was that if it ran this long without an oil change, just let well enough alone. The little die-hard ran another 4 years, with over 120,000 miles before she sold it--still running, and no oil changes. She then bought (what's now a classic) Rally Sport Camaro which also went without oil changes. :o

1959 Vauxhall Victor Super Saloon, in an ugly mashed-pea green. It resembled a badly shrunken 1955 Chevrolet, with wrap-around windscreen. The Opel Kadet 1000 wasn't much better. My 1966 Ford Consul Corsair GT saloon was much better. I bought too many 'captive imports' in America, made by their overseas affiliates. It's a wonder I didn't buy a Holden. I did buy a fairly nice Renault Alpine A-104 with a hopped up version of the 750 CV Renault (Weber carb, Koni shocks, Abarth exhaust).

I once dated a school teacher who wanted something more reliable than her old Toyota. She bought a new Yugo!

in my opinion anything american, had both of these and they are crap, the ford taurus is just an awfuld example of american engineering with sponge like brakes

post-16153-1168232255_thumb.jpg

and the dodge durango couldnt go anywhere off road and bounced around cos the suspension is crap!

post-16153-1168232265_thumb.jpg

I had a HQ Belmont ute back in Oz, no power steer and man it would have been the heaviest steering i have tried, double wishbone front end probably didnt help, the holden before that had a 2 speed powerglide auto, did 110mph in first and 111mph in second.

best driving car i had was an e23 bmw 733i, great in any conditions real fun to drive.

For the worst most boring car in the world mine has to be the Austin 1100.

Hey, is that Mr. Bean's car???

no Mr Bean drove a yellow mini,

btw did you see the episode where he drove it from sitting on his lounge chair strapped to the roof!! <deleted> hillarious...

probably, but ugliest modern car would go to the Ssangyong Stavic, did someone have a bad day when designing this car?

post-15912-1168235097_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy

btw did you see the episode where he drove it from sitting on his lounge chair strapped to the roof!! <deleted> hillarious...

Brilliant TV :o

IIRC it was an Austin 1100 that Basil Fawlty beat with a tree branch in a classic Fawlty Towers episode :D

Actually, I think he's confusing it with the NOVA. that was a car that was at first marketted in spanish speaking countries, Obviously they had to change the name... It does mean... NO GO

Worst Car I ever owned? had to be a Chevy Vega, aluminum block engine 4 cyl. piece of <deleted>! 500 rides and ya throw it away

Greg

Edited by griser

Austin Maestro - 'orrible thing, major design feature, a 'square' steering wheel, very effective at trapping parts of the anatomy (thumbs) when letting it spin straight after turning at a junction.

The top-end Maestro was the original talking car with useful comments such as 'fuel tank empty' as it splutters to a halt :o

Hey, is that Mr. Bean's car???

The EXACT MENTAL IMAGE I had when I saw your post! :o When I saw the Mr. Bean episode, my first thought was, "Man, what a sh#tty little car!" Reminded my of my '59 Renault!

Edited by toptuan

Austin Maestro - 'orrible thing, major design feature, a 'square' steering wheel, very effective at trapping parts of the anatomy (thumbs) when letting it spin straight after turning at a junction.

Aren't you confusing the Maestro with the Allegro? The quartic steering wheel was only on the Series 1 Allegro