Whats Your Worst Car In The World ?

undercover

I have heard and read many times things about the Ford Pinto as an absolute disaster but never really seen one or had anyone talk of first hand experience about it.

Despite all the bad press about Ford Pintos, my sis had one. It was her first car. Our family owned about 5 vehicles, all of them worth four times the value of her Pinto. Unfortunately, all of them broke down, but sis's little Pinto kept running, and we all had to borrow her car from time to time to stay mobile. It was embarassing.

I was thinking about mentioning the Pinto I owned. 2nd hand about $1000.00. But it never failed me, harsh cold winters or hot summers, it kept on trukkin. I rebuilt the carburator once myself and that was about it for repairs. Reliability was certain not one of its' faults. Well over 100,000 miles when I decided to buy a new car.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aren't you confusing the Maestro with the Allegro? The quartic steering wheel was only on the Series 1 Allegro

That's twice now that you've called someone a liar in this thread.

With no proof to back it up.

You nitpicking ninny!

There is no need for insults, I only asked if you were getting confused between the Maestro and the Allegro. You want me to furnish proof? Where is your proof? Check the following on the quartic wheel http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...+steering+wheel

As for the Vega meaning 'won't go', I don't believe that I even implied that you were lying.

I have heard and read many times things about the Ford Pinto as an absolute disaster but never really seen one or had anyone talk of first hand experience about it.

Despite all the bad press about Ford Pintos, my sis had one. It was her first car. Our family owned about 5 vehicles, all of them worth four times the value of her Pinto. Unfortunately, all of them broke down, but sis's little Pinto kept running, and we all had to borrow her car from time to time to stay mobile. It was embarassing.

I was thinking about mentioning the Pinto I owned. 2nd hand about $1000.00. But it never failed me, harsh cold winters or hot summers, it kept on trukkin. I rebuilt the carburator once myself and that was about it for repairs. Reliability was certain not one of its' faults. Well over 100,000 miles when I decided to buy a new car.

wonderful little cars. pinto !

Aren't you confusing the Maestro with the Allegro? The quartic steering wheel was only on the Series 1 Allegro

That's twice now that you've called someone a liar in this thread.

With no proof to back it up.

You nitpicking ninny!

There is no need for insults, I only asked if you were getting confused between the Maestro and the Allegro. You want me to furnish proof? Where is your proof? Check the following on the quartic wheel http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...+steering+wheel

As for the Vega meaning 'won't go', I don't believe that I even implied that you were lying.

OK, no insults.

But it's hard to take, before you had your first cup of coffee, when you see that your post has been torn apart for no good reason at all.

If you ever lived in Mexico, and were familiar with local slang, you would know that vega means "dweller in valley" just as i said

http://surnames.behindthename.com/php/sear...ames&type=u

which is also slang for a bum / squatter / lame person who WON'T GO.

Kinda like this ridiculous argument...

I think the vega wasn't bad, just a little bit underpowered. It should had a V8, like the Nova. At least the body looks sporty, almost like a camaro. More ugly was the AMC Peacer. It look like Grandmothers Cake with four wheels. More ugly was the Renault R4 and Citroen 2 CV.I could never understand this ugly design.

In the 70's, the U.S. automakers were so desperate to keep up with Japanese made compacts, during the fuel crisis, that the big two came out with the Vega (GM) and the Pinto (Ford)

The Vega was by far the worst of the two. I honestly don't know of one that lasted more that 50,000 miles.

I called them "disposable cars" at the time. Appropriately, the word Vega means "won't go" in Spanish.

This is where many die hard "buy american" proponents were converted to "buy quality" wherever you may find it. LoL

Sorry, but Vega doesn't mean "won't go" in Spanish. Spanish is my second language and I can't think of a close meaning to Vega for that.

Sorry, but if Spanish was your 1st language, you would know that vega means "dweller in meadow" which in certain parts of south america is slang for squatter/trespasser/or someone who WON'T GO

Vauxhall, the UK arm of GM, used to produce a small car in the UK named Nova which is Spanish for 'won't go' and was named Corsa for the European market.

Michael804 vega- fertile valley. Cannot comment on it being regional slang for 'won't go' apart from to say it seems far-fetched even with a fertile imagination!

pop3 - the sporty versions were the MG110, MG1300 and MG1300GT, posher models were Riley, Wolseley & Vanden Plas.

I had an early Morris 1100 (early '63, registration number VDJ 120), not the worst car I ever had but it did have a big design flaw. Driving home one cold, icy December night, the accelerator cable snapped and instead of shutting power off it opened the carb fully - I was only in not far from home and got home safely.

If English was my 2nd language I might be able to understand what "dweller in meadow" means michael :o

I think you meant the Vauxhal Nova, which actually means "Doesn't go" "Doesn't work" or a more literal "No go". After it has been brought up, I've remembered that it is quite a classic on car-naming mistakes (named Corsa by Opel, quite successful in Europe).

Another of those big naming mistakes was the Mitsubishi Pajero in the Spanish speaking markets (I think it was later called Montero?). "Pajero" means "######" :D

in my opinion anything american, had both of these and they are crap, the ford taurus is just an awfuld example of american engineering with sponge like brakes

post-16153-1168232255_thumb.jpg

and the dodge durango couldnt go anywhere off road and bounced around cos the suspension is crap!

post-16153-1168232265_thumb.jpg

While I have never owned either disparaged model, I do have a comment or two. I believe the Taurus sold more units world wide than any other model in "recent" history. It was intended to be a affordable "peoples car" (where have I heard that before?). It has always been plain, but that is just Ford. Not usually very flashy. I know - Found On Road Dead. At least it's not a Fiat - <deleted>*ng Italian Attempt at Transportation or Fix It All the Time....take your pick.

The Dodge Durango was never meant to "go off road." :o It is an "URBAN ASSUALT VEHICLE" to be driven by soccer moms with all the kids in tow or the family dad towing the boat to the lake for a Sunday splash.

As for all American cars being POS, I humbly disagree. Let us pick just ONE venerable vehicle....let's say the JEEP. You guys (well, maybe your mothers) remember them from WWII... GPW & MB's :bah: (same vehicle, 2 different manufactures) all the way through the Jeep CJ5's, built into the 1980's when US Govt safety regs signalled their demise. These vehicles, especially the ones 40, 50 & even 60 years old are not only in high demand but are still in service WORLDWIDE more than half a century (that's 50 or more years for those of you in the UK & EU). :D:D:D:D

Talking about worst cars...If I were you I wouldn't mention Renaults, Lancias, Triumphs, et al. Every continent has a mark that is embarasing from time to time. Feel free to bash the Vega ad nausium.

That's our opinion, we welcome yours...

Climbing down off soap box....

As an Aussie the Leyland P76 rates near the bottom.

Worst I ever owned was a Hillman Hunter Royal bought new in 1969 after somehow one won the inaugral London to Sydney marathon beating all the GT Falcons and Holden Monaros.

Austin Maestro - 'orrible thing, major design feature, a 'square' steering wheel, very effective at trapping parts of the anatomy (thumbs) when letting it spin straight after turning at a junction.

Yep, must be going senile, 'twas the Allegro with the weird wheel. Maestro was the talking beast. Had both, both were carp :o

Austin Maestro - 'orrible thing, major design feature, a 'square' steering wheel, very effective at trapping parts of the anatomy (thumbs) when letting it spin straight after turning at a junction.

The top-end Maestro was the original talking car with useful comments such as 'fuel tank empty' as it splutters to a halt :o

i agree the Maestro was a shocking car but the 2.0 Turbo which was the top model was one, if not the fastest "hot hatch" of its day in the UK.

in my opinion anything american, had both of these and they are crap, the ford taurus is just an awfuld example of american engineering with sponge like brakes

and the dodge durango couldnt go anywhere off road and bounced around cos the suspension is crap!

While I have never owned either disparaged model, I do have a comment or two. I believe the Taurus sold more units world wide than any other model in "recent" history. It was intended to be a affordable "peoples car" (where have I heard that before?). It has always been plain, but that is just Ford. Not usually very flashy. I know - Found On Road Dead. At least it's not a Fiat - <deleted>*ng Italian Attempt at Transportation or Fix It All the Time....take your pick.

The Dodge Durango was never meant to "go off road." :o It is an "URBAN ASSUALT VEHICLE" to be driven by soccer moms with all the kids in tow or the family dad towing the boat to the lake for a Sunday splash.

As for all American cars being POS, I humbly disagree. Let us pick just ONE venerable vehicle....let's say the JEEP. You guys (well, maybe your mothers) remember them from WWII... GPW & MB's :bah: (same vehicle, 2 different manufactures) all the way through the Jeep CJ5's, built into the 1980's when US Govt safety regs signalled their demise. These vehicles, especially the ones 40, 50 & even 60 years old are not only in high demand but are still in service WORLDWIDE more than half a century (that's 50 or more years for those of you in the UK & EU). :D:D:D:D

Talking about worst cars...If I were you I wouldn't mention Renaults, Lancias, Triumphs, et al. Every continent has a mark that is embarasing from time to time. Feel free to bash the Vega ad nausium.

yes get down off that soapbox! you cant seriously believe that american vehicles are better? and how can you even compare a Jeep with real 4WD vehicles like the land rover?

For the worst most boring car in the world mine has to be the Austin 1100.

You obviously haven't used it as a "pash" wagon....the number of virgins or rather quasi virgins I despoiled in the back of my mothers 1100 doesn't bear thinking about...with the front seats tipped out of the way and held in place by the sun-visor the car and ample room for all sorts of rumpy-pumpy related activities.....ah! The memories!

In the 70's, the U.S. automakers were so desperate to keep up with Japanese made compacts, during the fuel crisis, that the big two came out with the Vega (GM) and the Pinto (Ford)

The Vega was by far the worst of the two. I honestly don't know of one that lasted more that 50,000 miles.

I called them "disposable cars" at the time. Appropriately, the word Vega means "won't go" in Spanish.

This is where many die hard "buy american" proponents were converted to "buy quality" wherever you may find it. LoL

Sorry, but Vega doesn't mean "won't go" in Spanish. Spanish is my second language and I can't think of a close meaning to Vega for that.

Try the Vauxhall "Nova" (UK) ..... Now the Opel Corsa.....

As a disaster....what about the Pacer?!?!?!?!

yes get down off that soapbox! you cant seriously believe that american vehicles are better? and how can you even compare a Jeep with real 4WD vehicles like the land rover?

Please don't quote english cars as being better than American cars... hehe.

I don't think there is a vehicle made in England that can hold oil very well. :bah:

Greg

Don't have to be old to be boring, just look at this worthless piece of nothingness, we used to call them Euroblobs, you only knew what it was by the badge, probably a good reliable car but boring as <deleted>>.

post-9169-1168436956_thumb.jpg

Please don't quote english cars as being better than American cars... hehe.

I don't think there is a vehicle made in England that can hold oil very well. :o

Greg

British vehicles leak oil like sieves, and how bout them Lucas electrics? Lucas: Prince of Darkness. My first car was a '65 Lotus Elan -- very quick and a super handling little devil, but you had to drive that thing with one hand and hold it together with the other. Also, you always needed a passenger along to help push start it.

The Elan was unreliable, but the worst POS I ever owned was a Jaguar XJS... not just unreliable but also slow, uncomfortable, horrible ventilation, ridiculously expensive to maintain, depreciated to zilch value in less than 2 years... but the leather smelled lovely and no question about it, that car was quite a panty dropper.

:bah:

Edited by jing jing

At least the in US, Land Rovers are much more expensive than Jeeps too. Pricewise, that comparision is about like comparing a BMW 5-series to a Honda Accord.

I once owned an Austin 1300.

It broke down when I was on the way to hospital as my wife was giving birth to our first Son.

It was just like the scene out of Faulty Towers...the car was the same colour as Basil's too! I wa cursing the thing, steam coming out of the bonnet..I was not bashing it with a tree though.

As I broke down on a pedestrian crossing it was only a few minutes until the Police stopped, when I explained the situation they pushed my car into a safer spot and took me to the hospital.

When I retuned to retrieve it with a mechanic freind the follwing day...I had a parking ticket as it was still on a yellow line. I suppose I was fortunate it was not towed away..but things were not so strict back in the 70's :o

The "euroblob" appaers to be an Asian design?

I have long been of the opinion 5that the UK motor industry was an unmitigated disaster. However when it comes to building completely ridiculous and quite appalling cars, the states has a virtual monopoly. the only reason they have survived so far (and it looks as if their demise is fast approaching) is they had an enormous home market.

Someone mentiones the Jeep as an export.......can anyone think of another? ..... In the same time period that is between WW2 and now......

Don't have to be old to be boring, just look at this worthless piece of nothingness, we used to call them Euroblobs, you only knew what it was by the badge, probably a good reliable car but boring as <deleted>>.

That Eurpblob is a Toyota! Badge enginerring has been going on for years - basically the same car with a different badge and possibily other changes.

Wasn't it GM who started the 'world car' concept with the J car? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_J-body

I think my worst car has to be a Morris Ital. Ugly bugger, crap performance in fact nothing at all going for it other than it was cheap :o

My parents had a British Leyland Princess 2200 Special Six. Looked like a lump of cheese.....although a lump of cheese probably handled better and had more reliable electrics :D nice engine though!

Edited by moonoi