Changing a Seiko watch glass

Hi every one,

I have badly scratched the glass of a Seiko watch, I would like to have the glass changed, my wife told me if you do that it won't be waterproof anymore!

Of course if done by a real jeweller it would be. But I reckon in Samui no idea if I could find a good one?

If I cannot the watch will stay with the scratched glass.

Any idea any one if I could have it done somewhere? 

Thanks for any answers.:smile:

I have a Seiko watch I like so much, so I keep it going. I used Central department store, inside Central Festival in Chaweng, they have a watch department (ground floor). Go to the Seiko counter, and they will gladly help you. I had a self-winding anchor replaced in my Seiko watch for a modest fee (think to remember something around 600 baht); they send the watch to Bangkok, and less than a week later they called and said I could pick-up my watch – has worked perfect so far for around another two years...:smile:

I live out in the sticks. I had/have a Pulsar watch. Same same Seiko. I smashed the glass. Thought I'd never find someone who'd have a spare so I decided to give it to a street watch repairer for spares. He wouldn't accept it and said he could repair it. Two days later I picked it up good as new. He told me to not go swimming with it on but a shower would be okay. I forgot all about the 'swimming' warning and it didn't let water in. 

Sorry I can't help.  :smile:

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I have a Seiko watch I like so much, so I keep it going. I used Central department store, inside Central Festival in Chaweng, they have a watch department (ground floor). Go to the Seiko counter, and they will gladly help you. I had a self-winding anchor replaced in my Seiko watch for a modest fee (think to remember something around 600 baht); they send the watch to Bangkok, and less than a week later they called and said I could pick-up my watch – has worked perfect so far for around another two years...:smile:

Most thanks khunPer, I will have a look because like sinbin says a street repairman could do it.

Should I ask many of them I would find for sure but not waterproof any more. At the Seiko counter more probably it will be done properly, at least better for sure, I am not in a hurry to have it back. Thanks again for answering:smile:

3 hours ago, sinbin said:

It is possible to polish out the scratches. Firstly use Brasso and finish off with toothpaste. Two well known scratch removers. Look for more hints on Youtube.

Yes sinbin I had thought to do it for I have a Dremel here in Samui,

(by the way, I cannot live without half a ton of tools for being able to do everything by myself)

but I hesitated for not having a good polish paste, I mean thin enough for the finishing.

But now, thanks to you :wink: I will have a try not later than tomorrow :smile:

Tooth paste + Dremel  to finish it ?

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thank you khunPer, do you know if they have a Citizen counter?

10 hours ago, TheLobster said:

I cannot remember all the brands, as Central has a lot, so presumably – they seem to have most brand names ranging from the quite affordable ones (like I'm wearing), including newer fashion brands, up to what is still not impossible (relative) for most folks to buy (like my lovely little more hi-so girlfriend is making face with) – I'll try to remember to take a look inside Central next time I come to the mall...:smile:

EDIT: Central has a web-site with watch brand names (Shop by Brand), but seem not to be complete, as for example Rado is not mentioned, but available in the Chaweng department; so Citizen might as well be there...

I did try this morning after seeing sinbin's link with the video explaining how to polish the glass,

the glass now is polished almost perfectly after maybe two hours of Dremel, no scratches any more...

...but the glass has a small crack, how this happened I do not know, vibration? No idea at all, but not sure I could even take a shower with this watch :annoyed:

Now I am bound to go to central, no choice!

Most of the time I have to try , knowing a good result is not always guaranteed, no try is not learning anything so... no problem! :smile:

On 9/14/2017 at 8:44 PM, TheLobster said:

Yes, together with the Seiko counter – ground floor entrance by parfume department (not Pandora), first counter in the middle after the parfumes...:smile:

On 9/17/2017 at 9:30 PM, khunPer said:

Yes, together with the Seiko counter – ground floor entrance by parfume department (not Pandora), first counter in the middle after the parfumes...:smile:

Found it thank you. Will need to wait at least an month for the watch to come back but at least they were able to help.

I have been to Central yesterday, to the Seiko counter, they accepted the watch to change the glass, it will be sent to Bangkok.                                                                                Like TheLobster I Will have to wait for about one month, but the watch will still be waterproof like before.

Archived