Jobs That Take You Around South-east Asia?

Erawan

I've noticed that a few of you have jobs that have taken you around the world a bit. I would like to do some travelling before I settle down, and I've been scheming of ways of how to achieve this. What I'd like to do is spend a good amount of time in each country, maybe a year here and there. I'd like to get a real taste for the country, see the sights and hopefully pick up the lingo too.

So far, all I've come up with is being a teacher, finding some 'magical' multinational company and volunteer work. The countries I'm interested in visiting/staying in are: Thailand, South Korea, Japan, China, Hong Kong (I know, not a country).

So chaps, what job do you do that takes you far and away?

Oh and one more thing, could someone please tell me what LOS is short for? I'm sure it's a location in Thailand, but I can't figure it out.

'I would like to do some travelling before I settle down, and I've been scheming of ways of how to achieve this. '

Scheming is not the best way to go about it. Think about what you have to offer in terms of skills, expertise, experience etc. that a company would want to employ you for. It could also be a special interest, a hobby you are knowledgable about.

Or think of a niche market, a product, service idea of what is cheaper, more easily available in one country than the other.

I don't want to sound stupid, but it helped me to write down a list, write another one a week later, compare etc. with friends until you come up with something.

I've been working in SE Asia since 1992, mainly Thailand but also Singapore, The philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, China and Japan.

I work in the Chemical, Oil and Gas business but did not look to be sent here, it just happened.

I've been working in SE Asia since 1992, mainly Thailand but also Singapore, The philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, China and Japan.

I work in the Chemical, Oil and Gas business but did not look to be sent here, it just happened.

same here, I just fell into it and cannot get out now.

The funny thing with the oil and gas business is that it seems the cliche "it is not what you know but who you know" applies fully.

Once you take a break it is hard to get back in.

I've noticed that a few of you have jobs that have taken you around the world a bit. I would like to do some travelling before I settle down, and I've been scheming of ways of how to achieve this. What I'd like to do is spend a good amount of time in each country, maybe a year here and there. I'd like to get a real taste for the country, see the sights and hopefully pick up the lingo too.

So far, all I've come up with is being a teacher, finding some 'magical' multinational company and volunteer work. The countries I'm interested in visiting/staying in are: Thailand, South Korea, Japan, China, Hong Kong (I know, not a country).

So chaps, what job do you do that takes you far and away?

Oh and one more thing, could someone please tell me what LOS is short for? I'm sure it's a location in Thailand, but I can't figure it out.

Last week it was military service in the Thai army. What will it be next week I wonder ?

Erawan,

This is from personal experience, it's very different when you're working in a foreign country and when you are just visiting one. I have been very lucky to have had the opportunity in my profession to travel for my work. I mean it's great to be in a foreign country but when you have to work and the only time you get off is at night time, sometimes that would suffice :o, but it's a real bummer.

So I would say your best bet for being able to visit these countries and hopefully be able to leisurely roam around visiting it as well would be to attain the proper teaching certification, because as for volunteer work I think there are many other countries that are much in need of help than the countries you listed. And as for multinational companies, that's a hard one, it depends-but with lots of cost cuts/savings and restructuring of many of these corporations overseas expatriate are becoming of a rarity and only for the top individual who have worked their way up through the corporate ladder. But you never know? Good luck in your ventures and do your homework first....

I personally think teaching English is an honorable profession; I did it for many years and made a good share of money. I'm still not sure why so many expats disdain teaching so much. It is highly respected by the people who need to be taught, but disrespected by those who do other types of work. It is a good way to meet all kinds of people from all backgrounds. The great thing about teaching is that you're not only limited to South East Asia. You could do it anywhere in the world. Shopgurl has a good point about corporates. They usually put in years of slogging in their home countries before they get a desireable posting in Asia. Even then it could be a sh##hole they're stuck in. A good idera is to save a bunch of money working where you are or teaching and then start your own business in Asia.