Can anybody suggest any big bike groups here in bkk?

Celer et Audax

:cheesy: 

Celer et audax? Remember there are old bikers and bold bikers but very few old, bold bikers! 

There is probably a club here for every marque of bike if one is fluent in Thai. Groups that have or may have fallen by the wayside are Siamsuperbike, Secret Soi Riders et al.

Edited by VocalNeal

There's plenty on FB if you look.

Personally, riding in large numbers is a recipe for disaster.   There's always someone trying to impress the rest with their cornering skill and others trying to match.

If I do ride with others, usually 3/4 max.  But personally, I like to ride alone and impulsively and not worry what others want to do.

What bike do you have and what kind of riding?  Street or adventure?

Edited by BBJ

On 9/18/2017 at 1:46 PM, BBJ said:

Personally, riding in large numbers is a recipe for disaster.   There's always someone trying to impress the rest with their cornering skill and others trying to match.

If I do ride with others, usually 3/4 max.  But personally, I like to ride alone and impulsively and not worry what others want to do.

I too would like to find a responsible motorcycle group. 

With that stated, I am very cautious given some of what I have witnessed. On 11 March 2017, I was taking a friend from Nang Rong to Buriram to get an MRI done.  We were in my pickup on highway 218 headed toward Buriram when we were passed by a large group of sport motorcycles (sport bikes), mostly 1 liter class.  The riders were weaving in and out of traffic with absolutely no regard to anyone.  There was a quite a bit of traffic on highway 218 that day because it was Saturday and the first race day of the 2017 World Superbike Motul Thai round run at the Chang International Circuit in Buriram.

That group of 15 or so riders continued on their way.  About 10-15 minutes further north I came across a number of sport bikes, again mostly 1 liter class, parked on the west side (north bound) of highway 218.  This was a different group of riders that had previously passed me. The traffic slowed to a crawl and I noticed two wrecked Kawasaki motorcycles. They appeared to be Ninja ZX-10Rs.  One was in three pieces (Headstock and front suspension; engine; and rear suspension and swingarm.)  There were plenty of people surrounding the area providing some sort of assistance so I continued on to the appointment. (NOTE: No emergency personnel had arrived at the time.)

Later at the Buriram Government hospital while waiting for my friend to complete the MRI, I walked out toward the emergency room area. (NOTE: The Buriram Government hospital is the only hospital in the city and region with MRI capability.) I noticed an entire group of riders in the waiting room with their motorcycles parked just outside.  It was the same group of motorcycles parked on highway 218 near the two wrecked Kawasaki motorcycles.  I went out to look at the motorcycles.  There were about twenty of them, all 1 liter class.  There were BMW S100RRs, Honda CBR 1000s, etc.  16 of the 20 motorcycles had no mirrors. 4 of the 20 motorcycles had the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) mirrors removed and had bar-end mirrors installed. (NOTE: There are some motorcycles in the links below that do have OEM mirrors but none of the motorcycles that I saw that were outside the emergency room had them.)

I later learned that one rider succumbed at the hospital.  I was told that this group of riders was from southern Thailand.  I was also told that the accident occurred when one of the motorcycles struck another car, and that car happened to be part of this same motorcycle group traveling to see the race.

It has been a while but here are some links, albeit in Thai, that provide some information on the incident:

I believe this is some video footage of the site:

Compared to riding in Europe, riding or driving in Thailand is nerve racking at the best and deadly at the worst.

Edited by M1Tanker

• 4 weeks later...

Yamaha R3 which I consider perfect for Thailand its good around bike but just as good in the sticks

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app