NIDA Poll says majority agreeing to higher tax for booze and cigarettes

rooster59

NIDA Poll says majority agreeing to higher tax for booze and cigarettes

nida.jpg

As the new excise tax rates on alcoholic beverages and cigarettes are in force on Sept 16, a poll released by the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) says the majority of people it asked agreed to the tax increase.

Most respondents, however, viewed that the higher tax rates could not stop people from drinking and smoking.

NIDA Poll conducted survey of the increased tax rates from Sept 11-12.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nida-poll-says-majority-agreeing-higher-tax-booze-cigarettes/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-17

More fake news. Does anyone believe these polls? These increases, especially on the wine, are inane beyond comprehension.

More unbelievably inane policy, from a government who's sheer incompetence boggles the imagination. Raise the taxes on wine, even more. They already have the highest wine taxes on the planet. 

What do incompetent politicians do, when they have a massive shortfall in revenue, and they have utterly drained the coffers, on really, really bad policy decisions? They raise taxes. It is the least creative thing any politician can do. It is also usually the least intelligent decision. Who expects any more from the little guy, and his band of nincompoops? 

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. The very first thing would be to repeal the anti fareng wine bill, that was passed by a few very corrupt senators way back when, to protect an anemic, fabulously low quality local wine industry. They are losing billions of dollars a year in revenue, that would be had from a 100% wine duty, instead of 460%. The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. But again, the lack of vision, combined with a naive, surly, silly, churlish, and ignorant sense of nationalism, bites the country in the butt. And again, who is the loser? The Thai people. 

Wine taxes should be lowered significantly. Import duties should be lowered to 70-100%. It would boost revenue. There are many Thais that are doing well, and love good wine. But, they are discouraged from drinking it, as the quality to price ration does not make any sense, for those of us who love good wine. If creative policy was implemented, not as many would cheat on the invoicing, and the wine industry would be encouraged to expand and thrive. As a result, the government would collect additional billions. But, that would require some vision, and progressive thinking. Something this administration does not possess. 

It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. I am sure many feel the same way. But, unfortunately they are cursed with a government that is incompetent, myopic, non-visionary, indifferent, and reckless beyond imagination.

Little P. and the TAT. Leading Thailand backwards at an astonishing and alarming pace.

well they might agree to a 2-3% tax increase but not 40-50%

it still remains unclear what the current increase actually is, maybe the government needs to simplify the whole thing so that people understand exactly what is going on and exactly what these increases actually are.

There is nothing wrong with tax increases within reason provided the increased revenue is spent of something that is justified like the healthcare system or welfare ...........................definitely not (deleted) submarines or blimps or other military stuff that are as useful as a fart in a spacesuit. 

Not long ago, while visiting a restaurant on Samui, called Dr. Frogs, I noticed a little sign on the table. We are proud to offer our new house wine. Yellow Tail cabernet. Only 1,499 baht, per bottle. I had just returned from the US, and the markets were absolutely flooded with this swill, at $3.99 a bottle. That is about 135 baht! So, yes I agree with you. Why drink absolute junk, for inflated prices? 

Yellow Tail is the best selling imported wine in the United States. Yellow Tail accounted for 11 percent of all U.S. imports in 2005. This one wine brand represents about 8 percent of all Australian wine production and 15 percent of that country’s total wine exports. Yellow Tail sells more wine in the U.S. than all French producers combined. And that say alot about the average American wine palate.  

Again, the government misses the mark, and does not have the vision, nor the courage to undo an injustice, perpetrated by very corrupt senators, who sabotaged the Thai economy, in a feeble effort to protect a few unbelievably inferior local wine producers. Instead, goes what their solution is? Raise taxes even more, to compound the import taxes already in place. Who came up with this policy? How was it approved? Who are these people? Why are they allowed to continue their reign of economic destruction?

Also, this is in direct contravention to the ASEAN charter that Thailand signed, and is a party to, that allows the distribution, importation, and export of all alcoholic beverages between all ASEAN members, duty free. When is the last time you saw a bottle of Saigon beer, 33 beer (both Vietnamese beers), Hitachino Nest white ale, India pale ale (both from Cambodia), or Bintang beer (Indonesian) on the supermarket shelves? Beer Laos, if you are lucky enough. I can understand why the giant Thai beer companies would do everything in their power to squash the implementation of this law. Their product is way, way inferior, to that of their neighbors. But, the government has a responsibility to follow through with laws they are a party to. Even if that means saying no to massive hand outs.

LOL I would really love to know how they make those polls...

"Do you agree that som-tum is a delicious meal?" was the real question, I guess.

And btw... In the article is stated that "39.92% agreed to the new tax rates, while 20.88% disagreed.", that doesn't make the majority agreed on new taxes.

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When is the last time you saw a bottle of Saigon beer, 33 beer (both Vietnamese beers), Hitachino Nest white ale, India pale ale (both from Cambodia), or Bintang beer (Indonesian) on the supermarket shelves? Beer Laos, if you are lucky enough. I can understand why the giant Thai beer companies would do everything in their power to squash the implementation of this law. Their product is way, way inferior, to that of their neighbors. But, the government has a responsibility to follow through with laws they are a party to. Even if that means saying no to massive hand outs.

Will NOT drink Thai beer outside of Thailand.   A large Beer Lao in Cambodia is B35 or $1.  Chinese supermarkets have German beer for around RMB10 which is B50 and it is 7-10% alcohol.   A friend married into a Hi-So family.  Their home was stocked with unpaid duty alcohol.  A perk if you are in with the in crowd. 

Where in the world wouldn't you run a poll asking if people want to be taxed more and they wouldn't enthusiastically shout "Yes"!

There again ever noticed lately how often polls have gotten it wrong, Brexit and Trump being elected come to mind. Polls are not to survey the people's opinion, their real function is to help sway it.

56 minutes ago, newcomer71 said:

LOL I would really love to know how they make those polls...

"Do you agree that som-tum is a delicious meal?" was the real question, I guess.

And btw... In the article is stated that "39.92% agreed to the new tax rates, while 20.88% disagreed.", that doesn't make the majority agreed on new taxes.

This poll is manufactured by the regime. Let's see if 1 person votes for these monkeys lol. Thaksin all day

30 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Where in the world wouldn't you run a poll asking if people want to be taxed more and they wouldn't enthusiastically shout "Yes"!

There again ever noticed lately how often polls have gotten it wrong, Brexit and Trump being elected come to mind. Polls are not to survey the people's opinion, their real function is to help sway it.

The regime make this shit up to convince dumb Thais that it's all OK.  I will date your young sister as well OK free.

I be ok with it as long as it was used to help the Thais have a better life But we all know where this is going More toys for the army and sticking the hands into the till to help them buy those little knick knacks for themselves Like land cars  trips overseas lavish parties big house happy retirement

I do wonder at the disproportionate increase on wine. Are wine drinkers a greater problem than liquor consumers?
I very much doubt that the numerous drink driving individuals had been swilling Cabernet Sauvignon rather than Hong Tong or Chang. It also will adversely affect the locally produced wines, though perhaps not as strongly due to the import tariff differential.

On 9/17/2017 at 6:33 PM, yellowboat said:

Will NOT drink Thai beer outside of Thailand.   A large Beer Lao in Cambodia is B35 or $1.  Chinese supermarkets have German beer for around RMB10 which is B50 and it is 7-10% alcohol.   A friend married into a Hi-So family.  Their home was stocked with unpaid duty alcohol.  A perk if you are in with the in crowd. 

Thai beer does not sell that well, outside of Thailand. Why would it? It is an inferior product. Beer Laos is spectacular in comparison. That is why the industry has paid such a fortune to the politicians to keep them from allowing implementation of the ASEAN charter that allows free flow of alcoholic beverages across all ASEAN borders, tax free. The country has adamantly refused to abide by the charter they signed into law.