First Trip to Pattaya - Have I missed Something?

Blue Muton

I've not yet sampled the delights of Pattaya but am planning a little midweek break there with Mrs BM next week. As a long time reader of these esteemed forums I have compiled a brief list of what to watch out for, please feel free to let me know what I've missed, as I do like to be prepared.

Taxi Drivers, Songteaw Drivers, MC Taxi Drivers, TukTuk Drivers, Minibus Drivers, Lorry Drivers, Car Drivers, Scooter Drivers, Cyclists, Pedestrians, Naked Unicyclists, Balconies, ATM's, Underpasses, Dirty Beaches, The Sea, Cats, Dogs, Snakes, Mosquitoes, Dudes with Boobs, Biker Gangs, Bridge Clubs, Russians, Americans, Australians, Chinese (especially at buffets), Africans, Indians, Laotians, Cambodians, The Welsh, Scots and Irish, Northerners, Southerners, Anyone with a Sick Mother or Buffalo, The Police, The Army, Politicians, Street Walkers, Street Vendors, Street Food, Seafood, Fast Food, Cheap Alcohol, Expensive Alcohol, Spiked Alcohol, Crossing Roads, Walking on Pavements, Boiler Room Scams, Card Scams, Dodgy legged German Scams, Tailor Scams, Gem Scams, Bird Food Scam, Laundry Scam, "Temple Closed" Scam, Time Shares, Counterfeit Merchandise, Counterfeit Money, Sunburn, Sunstroke, Motorcycle Hire, Jet ski Hire, Boat Hire, Lady Hire, Ladyboy Hire, Pickpockets, Muggers, Hotel Thieves, Car Thieves, Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings, Broad Daylight and Night Time.

4 minutes ago, SidJames said:

Someone will come along soon & warn you about taking your missus with you to Pattaya unless of course she's interested in high culture

She's interested in the Sanctuary of Truth, seafood and the hotel pools, but most of all just getting away for a few days.

I don't know of a really decent seafood spot in Pattaya anymore.

Siam@Siam hotel has a lovely smallish pool on it's roof with shade which must be nigh on 20 floors.

Holiday Inn also has a nice pool with bar & restaurant service.

Hilton's pool looks the part but guessing it costs a bob or two.

Bayshore hotel pool down by the end of Walking St is ok but expect nightclub noise later.

Avani (old Marriot) is also tasteful.

There are most likely some decent new spots in Jomtien but I wouldn't know.

Some of the massive condo blocks have some very big & well designed pools such as Atlantis on Jomtien 2nd Rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7aZZ5TcMy4

23 minutes ago, SidJames said:

Siam@Siam hotel has a lovely smallish pool on it's roof with shade which must be nigh on 20 floors.

Bayshore hotel pool down by the end of Walking St is ok but expect nightclub noise later.

Some of the massive condo blocks have some very big & well designed pools such as Atlantis on Jomtien 2nd Rd

That's great, thanks!

49 minutes ago, johng said:

I don't think there is "temple closed" scam in Pattaya.
You forgot the "sexy show" scam.

Well I was told a long time ago what would happen to my prime assets should I ever stray in that direction, as Mrs BM has a duck farm she's well placed to follow through with the old Thai threat of dismembering and feeding to the ducks!

Siam@Siam - great hotel, 2 floor pool but somewhat crappy beds. 

Holiday Inn is much better and rooms have a nicer view. Slightly more expensive, but overall better value for money.

The best value for money in Pattaya IMO is Woodlands because of great pool, buffet breakfast included in price and unbeatable location especially if you will be taking a Bus from/to Bangkok.

I go to Patters with wife about once every month because it's close to BKK and that's all the free time she can get from work. I stayed in just about every major hotel in Pattaya and I must say Woodlands (residence) is my favorite. Hers is Woodlands hotel, but I suspect that's because she's a bit cheap.

42 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Siam@Siam - great hotel, 2 floor pool but somewhat crappy beds.

We stayed there too... the more expensive rooms have upgraded breakfast, free snacks during day, free dinner snacks and 2 hours of alcohol

We basically didn't need to eat out

Do the other hotels have such perks as well?

14 hours ago, JohnLick said:

We stayed there too... the more expensive rooms have upgraded breakfast, free snacks during day, free dinner snacks and 2 hours of alcohol

We basically didn't need to eat out

Do the other hotels have such perks as well?

Depends.

I have hilton diamond and IHG (platinum), so I get these perks free of charge at Hilton and sometimes at Holiday Inn (IHG chain is more stingy). You normally book the room with executive lounge access which every major brand hotel name has them.

However, I do like the food in Pattaya, so I would normally not bother with these upgrades which can cost extra 1500-2000 per room. To me the most important part in a hotel is a bathtub, balcony and location, in that order.

2 hours ago, SidJames said:

moom aroi in naklua for sea food. Kailua fish market too. The restaurants at the end of Jomtien beach including the crab one.

If you want to go to Sanctuary of truth Siam@Siam, Holiday Inn, Woodlands are all at that end of town. A Baht bus will take you to S of T,  or take a motorbike taxi if you prefer.

Siam@Siam advertise their seafood on local TV. Many fine hotels near Dolphin roundabout. I like Sunshine Garden hotel.

Hotel rates are low season.

Have a great time.

Your list of things to watch out for could apply to almost any big tourist city here in Thailand.  Sadly.

The best seafood is outside Pattaya.  Ban Ampur and south to Bang Saray.

I've not been to Siam@Siam in some time, but their seafood buffet was very good.

Next time, try some of the resorts south of town.  Especially if you have a car....and a wife. LOL

We live in Ban Bung and visit Pattaya about once a month for 3 nights. Stay at Arya Inn on Soi Honey about 600 Baht no pool but close walking to Beach Road and all the malls or plazas. Apex Hotel around the corner has a pool but hotel is old. 650 Baht everyday of the year, no coffee in room. 

2 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

We live in Ban Bung and visit Pattaya about once a month for 3 nights. Stay at Arya Inn on Soi Honey about 600 Baht no pool but close walking to Beach Road and all the malls or plazas. Apex Hotel around the corner has a pool but hotel is old. 650 Baht everyday of the year, no coffee in room. 

600 baht ....  you are living the dream :shock1:

My God, I didn't go through your full list but I have to ask if life us worth living at all if we have to go through it full of suspission of everything and anything thatwe might come into contact with.

Have a great holiday and stop expecting the worst. We create our own future by our expections.

Just go with the flow (believe it or not, most people are very nice people).

4 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

My God, I didn't go through your full list but I have to ask if life us worth living at all if we have to go through it full of suspission of everything and anything thatwe might come into contact with.

Have a great holiday and stop expecting the worst. We create our own future by our expections.

Just go with the flow (believe it or not, most people are very nice people).

Maybe if I'd put a few smiley faces you might have caught the tone of my OP.:smile::smile::smile:

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

600 baht ....  you are living the dream :shock1:

Certainly more clever than all the 5000 Baht a night rooms suggested before. You can get a VERY decent apartment-style room for 800 Baht. 1200 gets you a really nice room almost anywhere and near all the amenities (for example in Soi 8).

Why pay more to have some fancy hotel with some guy who brings your bag upstairs? Why do you need breakfast and room service when there is a restaurant in every second shophouse? I have stayed in expensive rooms before and I can't really tell why they were more expensive apart from some shiny lobby. The rooms certainly weren't nicer than the ones that were around 1000 Baht.

I would recommend staying in the Royal Wing at the Royal Cliff Hotel.     Nice suites, very nice pool with a swim up bar, great restaurants (I really like the Chinese restaurant for authentic Dim Sum and they do a great Peking Duck).

Wherever you stay however, hope you enjoy your trip.

You left out the most important thing to watch out for.  That is yourself.  As for where to go with your Mrs. for some fun may I suggest The Castle and The Devil's Den.  You are coming to Pattaya you should visit the real Temples of Truths.  LOL!

18 hours ago, SidJames said:

Someone will come along soon & warn you about taking your missus with you to Pattaya unless of course she's interested in high culture

16 hours ago, The manic said:

The OP has missed out FUN! The main reason we are here. But leave the old lady at home...

Our saying - do not be offended :wink:

"Who goes to Pattaya is a pig, who goes to Pattaya with his wife is a stupid pig."  lol 

Archived