Using US light dimmers in Thailand?

fullservice

We are building a new house and I would like to use Z Wave dimmer and switches from the US. The electric guy said they would work fine but isn't the power here 220V vs the 120V common in the US?

Any ideas if this will work? Also most Z Wave dimmer need neutral wires to work. Is this common in Thailand?

If you know any good places to buy Z Wave switches in Thailand that would be great too and save me the hassle of buying them overseas.

1 hour ago, fullservice said:

We are building a new house and I would like to use Z Wave dimmer and switches from the US. The electric guy said they would work fine but isn't the power here 220V vs the 120V common in the US?

Any ideas if this will work? Also most Z Wave dimmer need neutral wires to work. Is this common in Thailand?

If you know any good places to buy Z Wave switches in Thailand that would be great too and save me the hassle of buying them overseas.

Be careful bringing RF products into Thailand that do not use approved frequency.

Bangkok's home automation outlets stocks Z Wave modules. 

http://www.digihome.co.th/

Edited by maxpower

I would avoid bringing US spec electrics here, there is a strong possibility that the "magic smoke" which makes the units work will escape (usually with a bang).

If you can get the same / similar units here as suggested by @maxpower then that's by far the best way to go.

14 hours ago, fullservice said:

Also most Z Wave dimmer need neutral wires to work. Is this common in Thailand?

To answer your question about the Neutral wire:

Neutral wiring is utilized in AC Wire communication devices to allow connected devices to 'talk' to each other even if installed on an alternate electrical distribution phase of a Split-Phase (US/CAN) or 3-Phase electrical service.

Thailand also has Neutral wiring as common. Just need to verify any ac device you install is rated for a 220v environment and operation.

Also note, if you have a lot of 'line noise' present it may prevent the devices from working consistently. You may need to install RF Line Filters on your incoming electrical mains supply if you have issues. 

37 minutes ago, RichCor said:

To answer your question about the Neutral wire:

Neutral wiring is utilized in AC Wire communication devices to allow connected devices to 'talk' to each other even if installed on an alternate electrical distribution phase of a Split-Phase (US/CAN) or 3-Phase electrical service.

Thailand also has Neutral wiring as common. Just need to verify any ac device you install is rated for a 220v environment and operation.

Also note, if you have a lot of 'line noise' present it may prevent the devices from working consistently. You may need to install RF Line Filters on your incoming electrical mains supply if you have issues. 

Theres a bit of confusion going on with these automation dimmers and it all revolves around the neutral. People at various forums are pulling hair out over this simple problem.

As you know, most wall switch boxes don't carry the neutral so when Joe arrives home with his shiny new Z Wave wall  dimmer he can't wire it up because the neutral is missing. The dimmer has its own power supply and requires 220V/110V L+N.

These devices talk to each other over the air often via hops.

26 minutes ago, maxpower said:

most wall switch boxes don't carry the neutral so when Joe arrives home with his shiny new Z Wave wall  dimmer he can't wire it up because the neutral is missing. The dimmer has its own power supply and requires 220V/110V L+N.

These devices talk to each other over the air often via hops.

Yea, you're right, I was getting PowerLine/X10 confused with ZWAVE.

In our OPs case it will be the probably lack of an available Neutral that creates the most issues.