Mahathir Says His Role As Thai Negotiator Unwanted

george

Mahathir says his role as Thai negotiator unwanted

KUALA LUMPUR: -- Malaysia's former premier Mahathir Mohamad said Monday he had been told to back off from his role as intermediary in the Muslim insurgency in southern Thailand.

Mahathir, who brokered talks in late 2005 between Thai officials and Muslim separatists, said he had urged the rebels not to push for a separate homeland in the Thai south bordering Malaysia.

"They have some grievances but I have told them quite clearly they should not make any effort to become an independent state or even autonomy because the Thai government doesn't like that," he told a press conference.

Mahathir revealed in October that he had brokered the landmark talks to help resolve the three-year conflict on Malaysia's doorstep which has left 1,800 people dead.

"I would like to do things further but I am advised that I should have a low profile because a high profile is not very welcome," he said.

"They said I am not too welcome," he said, but declined to reveal who had issued the "indirect advice".

"[it is] difficult for me to say because this involves other governments also," he said.

Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who was appointed in a coup last September, expressed optimism over the talks and said they were a "good sign".

The government of mainly-Muslim Malaysia has volunteered to play a bigger role in resolving the crisis.

However, its relationship with Mahathir has collapsed in the past year as the former leader, who stepped down three years ago, has made strident attacks on the administration of Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

Mahathir said Monday that he would be willing to meet with separatist leaders again.

"If they ask me, they want to talk to me, they want to meet, then I'll meet. I'm not going to have any publicity or anything like that," he said.

--AFP 2007-01-08

sad that he won't go into retirement as planned ........................

He does appear to be making a fool of himself nowadays.

"They have some grievances but I have told them quite clearly they should not make any effort to become an independent state or even autonomy because the Thai government doesn't like that,"

Statements like that always work, will always be received well by both sides. Well done Mahathir!!!

Hang on...be back in a minute, I have to tell my 3 year old not to draw on the wall because her Mother doesn't like it.

Now Malaysian domestic politics interfere with Thai peace efforts.

Thais are desperate to start talks, any kind of talks, with just about anybody who could reign in the unruly terrorist youths and promise any kind of peace there.

They need to give more weight to the other side than they actually deserve to make it work and Mahathir's departure doesn't help.

I am not a Muslim but I like Dr Mahathir -I think he is one of the few politicians in this region that talks any sense -

yes he upsets people sometimes because he's blunt and he doesn't mince his words but if you look back at s

ome of his speeches and commentary over the years, on many occasions he said so many true things

about geopolitics

I have never been a fan of Mathahir, but I do respect the man. When he speaks, I listen, and I think it would be wise of the gov't to listen as well. I do, however, feel sorry for the current PM of Malaysia--this guy is not someone I'd want *issed off at me!

Mahattir has too much of a chip on his shoulder from his childhood under the British

for my liking.

His racist and divisive policies have done little to really improve the overal lot

of the ethnic Malay's. Subsidies and preferentail treatment have not encouraged

them to grasp the nettle of modern life. :o

at least when he's playing politics with thailand he is leaving australia alone.

he has made it quite clear of his feelings for australia and they are not good.

ever sinse keating called him a recalcitrant he has been on the war path.

to bad he is not like other malaysian people who i consider a very decent lot.

only my own personnal opinion punters. :o

Mahattir has too much of a chip on his shoulder from his childhood under the British

for my liking.

His racist and divisive policies have done little to really improve the overal lot

of the ethnic Malay's. Subsidies and preferentail treatment have not encouraged

them to grasp the nettle of modern life. :D

I'll go further and describe the man as a hypocritical gobshite eager to play the "Islamic spokesman" when referring to anyone else's foreign policies, yet silently cracking down on political rivals at home with his ISA Act to stifle democratic debate.

There is always the time-honoured trick of diverting jihadi radicals over the border to maintain political stability at home, but that is maybe just rumours. :o

Mahathir is adangerous and somewhat senile old fool

Like him at your peril!!!

ISLAMABAD: Muslim nations in the Middle East should arm themselves with nuclear weapons to deter Western enemies from attacking them, former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said Friday.

“They should have tanks, warplanes, warships, guns and missiles,” Mahathir said. “Yes, they need to have nuclear weapons too, because only with the possession of such would their enemies be deterred from attacking them.”

He is too old to return anywhere. There's nothing in it for him, personally.

your joking ..............

nothing in it for him ???????????????

try publicity for starters , <deleted> he's an ex polly fcs

Mahatir is a good man and a good leader for his people. It's not easy for him to forget all the transgressions commited in the past against his country and his people, but then why should he. Countries who carve up the world to their liking and/or exploit other countries always will hate people like Mahatir who stand up for themselves. If some countries have nuclear weapons and are holding the world hostage(politically and economically), why shouldn't muslim countries have them so they can defend themselves.

I watched the old hipocrite on either CNN or BBC news last night condemming the trial and execution of Sadam Hussein.

Simply, automatically and ignorantly blames America and England for the execution of an old mate. In his interview not once was any word mentioned of Sadams guilt or the terrible costs to the Kurds etc. Mahathir is a man of zero compassion. :o

He was sprouting off about how legal trials should be conducted and not be based on politics..HA! tell that to his old mate who was jailed for supposed homosexual acts with his driver. Mahatmir just simply removed him because he was a political threat. No fair and equal justice there.

(sorry cant recall names and too lazy to research)

Now and again his version of brutal honesty can be refreshing but these days he doesnt seem to make much sense to me.

Andy

Mahatir is a good man and a good leader for his people. It's not easy for him to forget all the transgressions commited in the past against his country and his people, but then why should he. Countries who carve up the world to their liking and/or exploit other countries always will hate people like Mahatir who stand up for themselves. If some countries have nuclear weapons and are holding the world hostage(politically and economically), why shouldn't muslim countries have them so they can defend themselves.

so no problems taking 6 yrs of his deputy's life on trumped up charges ,

not to mention the xenophobia against non Malays who are citizens ??????????????

Wally Alert!!!

I think you get the prize for the most brain numbingly stupid thing anyone has ever said on this forum. You sir are an ostritch!!!

:o

Mahatir is a good man and a good leader for his people. It's not easy for him to forget all the transgressions commited in the past against his country and his people, but then why should he. Countries who carve up the world to their liking and/or exploit other countries always will hate people like Mahatir who stand up for themselves. If some countries have nuclear weapons and are holding the world hostage(politically and economically), why shouldn't muslim countries have them so they can defend themselves.

Wally Alert!!!

I think you get the prize for the most brain numbingly stupid thing anyone has ever said on this forum. You sir are an ostritch!!!

:D

I think pampal was just being ironic.

I have a lot I would love to say about Mahathir, I was in Singapore for the mid to late 90's and early 00's and I paid close attention to him, saw what happened to Khun Anwar Ibrahim (his only real rival), then saw him released when Mahatmacoat retired.

BUT I won't because this is a Thai related board and we try our hardest to stick within the boards rules.

*says tuky biting his lip* :o

Wally Alert!!!

:o

Ah but not half as much of an ostrich my good fellow as those of us who are oblivious or simply keep ignoring the gross injustices

of Ehud Olmert and his government - Mahatir just occasionally liked to remind the world of this fact

He is too old to return anywhere. There's nothing in it for him, personally.

your joking ..............

nothing in it for him ???????????????

try publicity for starters , <deleted> he's an ex polly fcs

I am not joking. Mahathir is over 80 years old and after 20+ years as the PM the last thing he craves is more publicity.

He's not a rising pop-star anymore. In this region only Lee Kwan Yew commands more respect.

Again, whatever the West thinks of him or Saddam execution is completely irrelevant to Thai separatist negotiations.